Sponsored by:

Turbo bumper cover fitment tricks

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:01 PM
shafo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo bumper cover fitment tricks

Are there any tricks to putting a bumper cover on the 993 painlessly? When I took it off, I remember that it came out at an upward angle and the top had to be "massaged out."

It's now painted and I don't want to damage the paint by monkeying around with it too much.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:31 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, I know what you mean. Its tricky to get the upper corners near the headlights to fit into place. Gotta dip one corner in and move it laterally to that side as far as possible. This will help you get the other side into place. Keep an eye on all of the other tabs and fingers that need to be in place at the same time.

Funny how it removes so easily, then when you have to be ginger with the fresh paint, its a little difficult..

Love the avatar BTW...
Old 01-28-2006, 04:48 AM
shafo
Instructor

Chris, that's exactly the issue I'm referring to. Do you mean dip/bend it under the fender and move it laterally for the other end to line up?

I'm glad you like the avatar. I've attached a couple versions I came across for any of you guys that might be interested.

http://flypicture.com/bin/?id=rtv9kKTc

http://flypicture.com/bin/?id=rtv9kKTf
Old 01-28-2006, 01:32 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by shafo
Chris, that's exactly the issue I'm referring to. Do you mean dip/bend it under the fender and move it laterally for the other end to line up?
Yessir, that is the only area I had trouble with. And it really wasnt trouble, just had to get a little creative..
Old 01-28-2006, 02:37 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used a little teflon bearing grease to help slide it into place. You could also use some dish washing soap.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:14 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning on putting a 3M clearbra to protect the paint? If so, you may want to keep the bumper off for 3-4 weeks and put it out in the sun and let the paint cure....otherwise you will have rock chips on your newly painted bumper before you can clearbra it.

Quick Reply: Turbo bumper cover fitment tricks