993 Forum 1995-1998

First Cayman on the street...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Cayman on the street...

I saw the first one on the street...it's a different feel from the dealer's showroom...I made up my mind...I really don't like it..."Germanese", plastic looking, soul less machine...I took some pics anyway...inside the car a leopard printed purse...probably this one belongs to a lady (or a drag queen!)...on my way back home I passed by a gorgeous 1996 Turquoise blue 993 coupe...what a difference...the Porsche gods were smiling again...
Attached Images    
Old 01-21-2006, 01:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

At least she got an S model. I havent warmed up to the Cayman yet either..
Old 01-21-2006, 02:10 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I don't like it in white at all. Not sure why but it looks a lot less impressive although it could also be that I'm getting used to seeing pics of them. I like the concept of the Cayman but it is missing something on the execution. I still think it might be a daily driver option in the future but doesn't stir the soul for me. Thanks for the pics.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot one...
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2006, 02:34 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The more I see it, the less I like the Coxster.

Where's its heritage/personality/attitude?

BTW, those fog lights are nasty.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:42 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't really like it too much . . . and must agree those fog lights are lame . . . not "Porsche" at all . . . IMHO.

Scott
Old 01-21-2006, 02:53 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw one at the dealer's lot today. Sticker was $80k with the options. I like the look from the rear and the 3/4 rear. I don't like the other views, and the fog lights look like they came from a new beetle.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:57 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
I saw the first one on the street...it's a different feel from the dealer's showroom...I made up my mind...I really don't like it..."Germanese", plastic looking, soul less machine...I took some pics anyway...inside the car a leopard printed purse...probably this one belongs to a lady (or a drag queen!)...on my way back home I passed by a gorgeous 1996 Turquoise blue 993 coupe...what a difference...the Porsche gods were smiling again...
Pedro, you live pretty close to me - you must have heard "The Collection's" Cayman S radio commercials for the past few weeks. If there was any doubt about the customers the Cayman was aimed at, there isn't after these commercials... (I'd love to post the audio, but too lazy to record it)

(in sultry woman's voice): "Come down to the Collection, and make your blood rrrrrrace - the new Porsche Cayman S is the newest addition to the Porsche family, with sportiness, passion, and excitement that is instantly Porsche. Come and feel your WILD side!"

I forget the rest, something about a free matching handbag with every purchase...
Old 01-21-2006, 03:33 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

I actually like it I was at my local dealer "Cayman launch party" a few days ago and I must say that in certain colors its actually pretty nice. My fav are the Cobalt Blue and the Atlas Gray. The white one is horrible BTW...
My dissapointment comes in the use of el cheapo plastics all around but it was the same on the 997's. They had this gorgeous 997 with chocolate interior, full stiched beautifull leather and the center console was cheap plastic! It reminded me the same quality plactic on a Renault Megane I used to drive in France. Cheap cheap cheap. The thing that turned me off completely though is the sports seats height adjustment. Its manual! The pumping style you find on the cheapest cars... The handle is also a plastic silver painted junker that contrasts so badly with the fully leather clad seat.
One thing is for sure. They dont make them like they should.
Having said that I would not mind a Cayman for the track
Old 01-21-2006, 03:38 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Having said that I would not mind a Cayman for the track
You would once you realized how much it needs an LSD (less traction than the rear-engined 911) and that one cannot be easily added (PSM interference)
Old 01-21-2006, 05:15 AM
tobyport
Instructor

Default for profit

Hey guys...this is what happens to every company that gets a taste of making serious $$...they just want more....Porsche is a sports car company no longer....it's a For-Profit Money Making Machine...Oh Well....What do you think the resale value of a Cayman S will be in ten years? Less than my 993 I'll betch ya!
Old 01-21-2006, 07:24 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

It'll be worth less than 50% within 3 years.

My last 911 also had the fake-metal door handles. I couldn't believe it when they started peeling. They were replaced under warranty, of course, but it's small things like that which are off-putting if not downright maddening to old-school Porsche customers.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:15 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by tobyport
Hey guys...this is what happens to every company that gets a taste of making serious $$...they just want more....Porsche is a sports car company no longer....it's a For-Profit Money Making Machine...Oh Well....What do you think the resale value of a Cayman S will be in ten years? Less than my 993 I'll betch ya!

100% true .

my wife say most of new PCars has no soul. nice but souless ...
porsche seems to be concentrated in $$$ and also $$ and then more $$$
and also the 997 seems to be on the target of new managment. target for extermination .. !!! they did it in the past without success, perhaps now they can get it ... !! this is just my my humble opinion. i studied the history of the factory and the same 911 the killed some years ago, saved the factory with the 964 and 993

Now with cayenes, boxter, coxters ... perhaps can phased out the 911.
Last month Porsche approved a Ton of $$ for the new series of 4 doors models.
Cayman resale value ?? of course a fraction in few years. Last week a gentelman offer me $48K for my car. If you check ebay carefully will see that under 30.000 miles, a 993 can get almost $48.000 easyyyy .... not bad for 10 years old car ....

They have the right/need for making money, of course, but kill the spirit of the brand is a damn idea. what´s next ??? Farmer machinery ?
Do I see a ferrari in my future ....???
Old 01-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the Cayman but it puzzles me why a car tat is basically a hardtop Boxster with a slightly bigger engine should cost so much more than a Boxster. If anything, coupes should cost a wee tad less than the vert.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
I forgot one...
That's a good picture that shows what I said on another post... There is visually something wrong in the area were the hood meets the front bumper.

The first one I saw, I thought it had been in an accident and hadn't been repaired right. But all of them have the same huge gaps and weird angle changes.

Hey pedro, immagine if the owner walked out and saw that you were all over her car like a Paparazi...HAHA...

Quick Reply: First Cayman on the street...