Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Lights Yellow? - Here's A Way To Make Them Shine

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here an update on the fog lens project I pulled of the shelf a few days ago. Before and after.....

Old 01-01-2014, 06:43 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

an update to my own update here some pictures during swapping on the car - before and after:

I am really happy with the result.....

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Very nice!

Andreas
Old 01-02-2014, 04:41 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 227 Likes on 185 Posts

Looks good! The big problem for me is the fact that the indicator is plastic and the fog is glass. As you can easily see in the pic above the glass looks blue against the plastic and doesnt flow to well. OCD maybe but I prefer the Turbo S ducts with LED's they arent far off the same output as the standard fogs and they are $160 a pair so well under 1/3 of the price of fogs.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Very nice!
thanks for your feedback the other day Andreas!

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Looks good! The big problem for me is the fact that the indicator is plastic and the fog is glass. As you can easily see in the pic above the glass looks blue against the plastic and doesnt flow to well. OCD maybe but I prefer the Turbo S ducts with LED's they arent far off the same output as the standard fogs and they are $160 a pair so well under 1/3 of the price of fogs.
Yes I agree there is difference between glass and the plastic - I always disliked the "unfinished" look of these foglight units. (OCD!) Beside the obvious lack of "chrome" inside the housing, the factory sealant used is a light blue/grey colour resulting in blueish tint in the rim of the glass. Is that what your referring to? Because of this I decided to go with the clear option of the Silicone Rubber sealant that Andreas used on his lenses.
You can see the difference in the pictures I posted.
The Turbo S ducts are a nice alternative for sure but I personally prefer the OEM look. (but finished!)

cheers
Old 01-08-2014, 02:29 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

expired

Last edited by jo-hans; 02-22-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:16 PM
johnconorlynch
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the write up! I followed this process using the Dremel and it turned out great. The hardest part was getting all the adhesive off. Here are some before and after, as you can see after 180k miles the original glass was really chewed up. I replaced it with new Hella glass, spray painted the inside and installed HID bulbs. This is a very satisfying DIY and the difference in visibility is literally night and day. Not to mention it really cleans up the look of the car. I also replaced the headlights with HID's too. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably buy the kit from Torre instead of wasting tons of time trying to save a buck finding the correct bulbs.

before

after

before

after
The following users liked this post:
997 GT2 (12-20-2020)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 AM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johnconorlynch
Thanks for the write up! I followed this process using the Dremel and it turned out great. The hardest part was getting all the adhesive off. Here are some before and after, as you can see after 180k miles the original glass was really chewed up. I replaced it with new Hella glass, spray painted the inside and installed HID bulbs. This is a very satisfying DIY and the difference in visibility is literally night and day. Not to mention it really cleans up the look of the car. I also replaced the headlights with HID's too. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably buy the kit from Torre instead of wasting tons of time trying to save a buck finding the correct bulbs.
Awesome! If possible, can you pls provide source for the Hella glass? Thx!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:20 AM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

https://www.daddys-carparts.com/en/e...or-porsche-993
Old 02-11-2020, 12:08 PM
Porsche Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fog light lens replacement

Just finished this update but would not recommend this upgrade unless you're handy around a car. Glad it's over though and love the results. FYI, the headlight lens upgrade is easy! Thx to Foxman for the lens!
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 PM
MACH993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They look great! I'm going through the same process and sent you a PM with a couple of questions. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:51 PM
Blrmkr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Just did this job over the weekend. Really pleased with the results. I went ahead and ordered new Hella glass for the job. I have both of the old ones if anyone is interested. Not interested in selling, just pay shipping. I can take pictures if interested.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:14 PM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Just finished this project with new glass. Not too hard, huge improvement and no idea why I waited so long...
Old 08-10-2021, 11:44 AM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Reviving this thread, for these questions: Did anyone replace both fog and parking with LED? If so, did it require any relays or ballasts?

Just finished this with new Hella glass because I wasn't sold on the Turbo S ducts on my plain non-Turbo S C2. Going to try to have the old lenses polished to see if the pit marks can be removed.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:01 PM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Half Stepping on Driving Lights

Hi All- Some great results here!!!

Patient: ‘96 993 C4 Coupe

Goal: Some level of improved appearance AND more performance out of existing LED upgrade.

Question: Where is the cloudiness found, interior of glass lens or exterior?

Approach: Plan on upgrading to Euro Turbo bumper that will change up all components (clear indicators, air scoop, single single round driving light). Until that significant investment, want to see what I can do with what I have.

All my components are in good/great shape. Planned on not cracking housing open, but polishing exterior glass and seeing if I could use a cleaner/alcohol through the bulb holes to clean up interior. Will that make an appreciable difference?

Have the Xpel PPF kit in hand, but don’t want to “seal in” issues I can correct prior.

Also have a 997.1 GT3 and put dual color driving/fog LEDs in there that I’m really happy with. Turn on those as DRL+ option especially when we’re doing spirited drives for added safety margin. I bring this up as those lights are significantly brighter than current 993 LED driving lights and suspect some has to do with len clarity….

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Fog Lights Yellow? - Here's A Way To Make Them Shine