Sponsored by:

Fog Lights Yellow? - Here's A Way To Make Them Shine

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Priceless
So, are are the LED lights better for the running lights???brighter???more focal???

I'm about to search hid & fog lights...didn't know that was an option. I just read a post I found on hid for my headlights & planning on doing that. So, decided to clean up my fogs at same time

Also, why black & where if you are painting chrome on lens area??? Where else is there except lens area??? Are you talking about around the bulb?
I changed my parking lights to LEDs so the color would match. they are not very bright, something like 7w bulbs.
The following users liked this post:
oalvarez (08-29-2019)
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM
JLUinAZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric and others,

Thanks for this DIY and the additional information. I just did this mod last night. The toughest part is getting the old lens out of the channel (glue removal) but other than that, it is straight forward. The painted backs look great as mine were starting to yellow. I used a bright metallic silver. The mastic is curing now, hope to install them in the morning.

I also switched out my lights. I'd previously done a 5k HID upgrade and was waiting to upgrade the fogs and markers until I did this mod. I'm replacing the markers with 6w (I think) white LEDs, and the fogs with yellow halogens. Hoping the LEDs and HIDs will be a close match.

Thanks again
Old 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Instead of breaking off the plastic lip and cutting through the old adhesive, has anybody baked their fog lights to separate the glass and plastic? I believe that's how it's always done to paint the headlight housing on any car.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:01 AM
willus
Instructor

I have been planning on doing this project while replacing a cracked fog light lens cover with one from a "donor" fog light with a broken housing. I might give baking a shot on the donor housing on which the plastic is already useless to me.

Any idea how hot the oven should be? Is the baking supposed to soften the adhesive or cause to dry out and become brittle?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:38 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by willus
Is the baking supposed to soften the adhesive or cause to dry out and become brittle?
Soften.

Andreas
Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:12 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any idea how hot the oven should be? Is the baking supposed to soften the adhesive or cause to dry out and become brittle?
start with 200, maybe 220... if you get frustrated or brave you could go up from there, but remove the lens from the oven and quickly get to work on it. you may have to put it back in...
Old 05-25-2013, 06:20 PM
NYC993
Drifting

I have been planning on doing this project while replacing a cracked fog light lens cover with one from a "donor" fog light with a broken housing. I might give baking a shot on the donor housing on which the plastic is already useless to me.

300F is when I stopped, be careful when prying, you can chip the glass. That adhesive and plastic are pretty tough.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 PM
NYC993
Drifting

If there is no use for plastic, just break of the plastic hinge part and cut through adhesive like the OP did.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
willus
Instructor

I can now attest to the lens being easy to chip from personal experience :-(.

I had heated it to 250 when I chipped the lens trying to pry it off. My experience was that the plastic became very fragile (maybe it already was?), and I could not get any leverage on the lens without damaging the plastic housing. Since the goal of baking was to preserve the plastic housing, I have not come out ahead. Maybe if I had heated it further?

At this point, I plan to use the OP's method for the rest of the project.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM
NYC993
Drifting

I think the melting point of the plastic and adhesive is the same... After having done this I would not suggest heating up the housing, as the plastic caved in a bit after it cooled off. Made fitting the fog units back in not as flush.

I finished the project using op's method and the result is great, used silver metallic paint, which matches silver car color pretty well. I used some adhesive removal to clean the glass. I was on the fence wether to give it to somebody to polish it off. Decided not to, to have more distributed light and less see through effect. Cleaning the other side took some cloudiness away.
Now waiting for LEDs for the parking lights.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 PM
sandsman
5th Gear

Brilliant write up. But can someone explain how to remove the fog light from the bumper? Forgive me, no manual...
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Take off turn signals (one screw each), there will be a screw on outsides of the fog light, unscrew them. Pull the fog light toward you and then outward. You gotta wiggle it a bit. Unplugging wires can be a bit tricky, just take your time.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
sandsman
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NYC993
Take off turn signals (one screw each), there will be a screw on outsides of the fog light, unscrew them. Pull the fog light toward you and then outward. You gotta wiggle it a bit. Unplugging wires can be a bit tricky, just take your time.
Ok makes sense I'm going to try this afternoon! Do the bumperettes have to come off too? I'm assuming so...
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Yes, there are two small bolts in each bumperrette. One advice is take a good look or a picture of how the metal clip holds the wire connectors together. It will make it easier figuring out how to put them back on properly.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights Yellow? - Here's A Way To Make Them Shine