Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To those with low mile cars. CHECK/CHANGE your check valve. Its a little 50.00 part that corrodes.......and I have seen what this little doohickey looks like at just 24k miles!!
I had my topend rebuilt 2 years ago at Hergie's........and this is not a fact, but something Laura, Mark and I felt........the corroded check valve may be the cause of the SAI problem.......Check it, Check it often, hell change it often!!!!!

Porsche will probably never do anything about it, Unless someone wants to step up to the plate, and make it a hobby to document the problem....etc.. EJ did this with the wiring harness, and had all 95's recalled too get a new wiring harness. Someone needs to pick up the ball........and run with it.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:57 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMomentum
If you have the problem (and I wouldn't even call it that) in your '95 (and many do) you will never have a problem with smog checks. This is strictly an OBD II issue.
The MY95 OBD1 does have a fault code (1_44) for the SAI and theoretically it should light up the CEL. What I'm wondering is what (relay? air pump?) the code is monitoring and how? The procedure for diagnosis is exactly the same as for OBD2 so you would think the two systems would use similar methods (checking the O2 sensor for a lean condition) for detecting a problem but obviously not cause (as you said) nobody seems to have this problem with their MY95.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree with the Check valve...now that I have seen the guts and how it works I understand that, if the valve work correctly, the air will not flow backwards that much and gunk up the passages. If the valve is open the pressure of the exhaust will let more exhaust into the passages and gunk it up. I am not sure how much the valve guides really have to do with it...on my car the guides were worn past the limits but the passages at the entrance near the valve stem were open. However they were clogged or partially clogged up the passage above the heads into the cam carrier. I will take some shots tomorrow and post it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-21-2006, 03:16 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by Mike J
I agree with the Check valve...now that I have seen the guts and how it works I understand that, if the valve work correctly, the air will not flow backwards that much and gunk up the passages. If the valve is open the pressure of the exhaust will let more exhaust into the passages and gunk it up. I am not sure how much the valve guides really have to do with it...on my car the guides were worn past the limits but the passages at the entrance near the valve stem were open. However they were clogged or partially clogged up the passage above the heads into the cam carrier. I will take some shots tomorrow and post it.

Cheers,

Mike
Amen, Bro
Old 01-21-2006, 05:24 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Another vote for regular Check Valve replacement. I've seen some nasty ones. Mark in Hermosa is real big on this as well.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Porschenator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just What the Dr. Ordered!

Terry..... I'm a little slow, but I think I get the 'picture'.....and for good medicine....Hwy 21 (Boise to Stanley) and Hwy 75 (Stanley to Ketchum)....and of course the Silver Sage Region BBB (Bogus Basin Bachinalia - only PCA Hillcross up Bogus Basin Road.... you gotta come try this one, it's to much fun!), and then there's Hwy 55 (Boise to McCall)....and the list..., well ok, I'll stop..... I guess I'll just have to exercise my yellow beast a bit more ....thanks for the tip!

K
Old 01-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Porschenator (Is it Kim?):

Don't forget the old spiral highway up the hill from Lewiston towards Moscow. That was the first road I really tested the handling on. I took another attorney friend of mine, Connie, with me, and she almost puked. We took the "new" road back down the hill.

PS. Check out a DIY article on p-car.com. It may help you understand what's going on with the SAI system.

Quick Reply: SAI - Porsche stance on issue