993 Forum 1995-1998

SAI - Porsche stance on issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The eight-year (or 80k mile) federally mandated warranty applies ONLY to the catalytic converter and the ECU. Everything else is covered for two years or 24k miles. As of March, "Porsche says there has been no significant failure rates they are aware of." There were also zero SAI emissions related failures reported by CARB. Unfortunately there is a LOT of wiggle room for manufactures to get around reporting requirements (record retention is only for 5 years, etc.) I tried to get others to file a complaint with the EPA (takes all of 5 minutes to write an email) but not one person did. Without other complaints there was absolutely nothing the vehicle recalls department at the EPA could do, their hands were tied. At the time the SAI issue wasn't that well documented and those that had gone through this were afraid of hurting resale values. If people have changed their minds send me a PM and I will give you the information for someone to contact at the EPA. Other manufacturers have had the exact same problem and been forced to (there are 3 types of) recall.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:06 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely there are enough of us with SAI's to force the issue????
Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
It just affects emissions and ability to pass SMOG test every year.
do i understand correctly...this is only for the smog test? no other negitive effects to the engine?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:06 PM
mborkow
Drifting

correct. SAI ports are only for emissions (they serve no other purpose), and even then they are only used for cold starts, and only for about the first 2 minutes. it is absolute bull**** that we are being made to get top end rebuilds to fix this and i don't blame porsche for this; they didn't make up these stupid ****ing rules. no company could make up anything this stupid; this is purely the realm of the federal government :-)
Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Someone needs to design a circuit to fool the OBDII. Oops...it's already been done.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/12584-bypass-circuit-for-check-engine-carbon-build-up.html
Old 01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Issue is resale....those of us that own are cars no that there are no issues but those that want to sell them have to get top ends done to make them saleable!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the problem go deeper than SAI? It was my understanding that high oil use due to prematurely worn valve guides are the root problem. Even if you were able to get Porsche to clean SAI, or you tricked the obdII system with a bypass, wouldn't excessive oil consumption cause the problem to come right back....and be a problem at resale?
Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
dhicks
Drifting

My car does not use excessive oil.....My last assessment (one week ago) was that since my oil change in September I have covered nearly 2,000 on 1 quart!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So there are two issues. One is a bad design of the SAI system that lends itself to carbon buildup. The second design flaw is a bad valve guide spec that can wear prematurely and assist in the carbon buildup. Is this correct?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbwilson56
So there are two issues. One is a bad design of the SAI system that lends itself to carbon buildup. The second design flaw is a bad valve guide spec that can wear prematurely and assist in the carbon buildup. Is this correct?
there isn't any evidence of a direct cause/effect that I've seen. My guess is the only relationship of the 2 (clogged SAI and worn valve-guides) is that they are both related to driving habits and maintenance. There are examples of 993's going over 100K without either problem, and those are mainly the ones which were maintained properly and whose owners are following Porsche guidelines regarding keeping revs under 4200 RPM as per the owner's manual (breakin and warmup).
Old 01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 98993c2s
Someone needs to design a circuit to fool the OBDII. Oops...it's already been done.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12584
The problem with is solution for any commercal enterprise is the liablities..is a US federal law issue where a company or person can get prosecuted if they sell a solution that bypasses the emissions systems....at least that is my understanding.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Don C
Racer

If this is only a smog issue, does this mean that if my 95 has the problem, that I will still pass smog because of OBDI, and that there are no other ill effects to my engine?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:28 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Don,
If you have the problem (and I wouldn't even call it that) in your '95 (and many do) you will never have a problem with smog checks. This is strictly an OBD II issue.

The CEL with the associated P codes that indicate the problem is not indicative of any performance problem with the engine whatsoever. It only affects the Porsche's ability to pass a standard smog test. There are plenty of smog referees that will work with you on this. The problem with the CEL illumination is that it monitors more than just this issue.

I blame both Porsche and our government regulators for this. Porsche for a poor long-term design to work around this issue.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Porschenator
Intermediate

Ok, I give, what are the 'less expensive alternatives for cleaning'.......????? My 993 C2S has approx 28K and I've no problems to date....sounds like they're coming?

Many thanks for any input.....
Old 01-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschenator
Ok, I give, what are the 'less expensive alternatives for cleaning'.......????? My 993 C2S has approx 28K and I've no problems to date....sounds like they're coming?
They are not coming soon. Since you live in Boise, the Rx is Idaho Hwy 12:

Quick Reply: SAI - Porsche stance on issue