Sponsored by:

Track Dawg Project Update #2

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track Dawg Project Update #2

Thought I'd share an update of my track dawg project.

Since passing Smog, I've been focused on collecting parts and starting real work. So far, I've sourced seats, shocks, steering wheel, shift ****, RS shifter, and lots of other odds and ends.

I painted the rear bumperettes:

Started to clean the suspension in preparation to install the KMS/Penske racing shocks (I hate cosmoline):

Installed WEVO Semi-Solid Motor Mounts:

And today's project, installing RS Door Panels from AppBiz:

Which gave me an opportunity to remove the sound deadening from inside the door, and debate having speakers. I'm thinking removable speaker boxes...

Next on the agenda is to remove the interior and temporarily install the RS carpet set. Temporarily in the sense I need to source a roll bar or roll cage and install.

Thanks!

Don
Old 01-18-2006, 11:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow! You are going to town Keep the pictures coming, I enjoy seeing the transformation!!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
mbpa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don, could you tell us more about how you painted the rear bumperettes? How did you prep them and did you use standard paint? I've been thinking about whether to do it diy or buying the bumperplug ones.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mbpa
Don, could you tell us more about how you painted the rear bumperettes? How did you prep them and did you use standard paint? I've been thinking about whether to do it diy or buying the bumperplug ones.

Thanks
This time it was an experiment - I cleaned them, lightly sanded, then used typical primer and Duplicolor truck paint and clear lacquer. It's a track car, so they look perfect from 5'. There are imperfections in the pads themselves (pinholes) that trying to fill them is more time than this project is worth.

If this were a street car, I'd use some products right from the car paint supply store - flexible bumper prep, flexible primer and SEM flexible paint. They have gloss white and it is close enough. If you have a tough color, there are a number of places that will mix you a custom color that should stand up well enough with the right prep. I don't remember how much Bumperplugs.com charge for this (I also made plugs for my front bumper), but I enjoy doing it myself.

Quick Reply: Track Dawg Project Update #2