350Z vs 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:23 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porscheologist

I have owned BMWs, 3 other Porsches (924,944,911), many Muscle Cars (Camaro, Mustang, etc) and have driven hopped up 240zs and 510s. A good friend drives a new 350z and I almost bought one. I really like the new Z car. But when I drove the 993 I had feeling unlike any other. Even after nearly 5 months EVERY time I drive my car I smile. Its a very unique car. It creates an emotional response that is hard to describe.

There is something about the way it smells (yes smells), the way it sounds both at idle and as you accelerate. That unique flat six sound. The confidence you feel as you sweep into a curve. The powerful brakes. The classic flat instrument gauge with a huge tach right were it should be (in the middle). The quirky left handed ignition. The excellent visibility. Those silly little seats behind you. That classic organic shape. A shape that forces you to "check on it" in the garage before you go to bed or give it one more glance as you leave the parking lot.

The car is expensive. Expensive new, expensive used, expensive to insure, expensive to mod and expensive to maintain. Overall very reliable but it has its warts.

Drive it at your peril. For once under its spell you are lost..................
Someone should copy this to the top of the page of the 993 forum. I think it sums it up perfectly
Old 01-18-2006, 03:45 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've got the bug there is no hope feeding it with the Z or any other substitute. I attempted that and the previous ride in the garage lasted less than a year when I dumped it and bought the 993. Life is too short and if you can afford the purschase and the maintenance go for it. Your friends, family, and coworkers won't understand. Most will see it as unnecessary and even over indulgent. Which is when I say that everyone has to have a problem or addiction and I'm happy to live with mine thanks. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Lerxst
Racer

I'm going to enjoy staying on this site once I find my 993. A lot of mature individuals with some great perspectives... and an ignorant twit or two to keep me laughing.

A Porsche has always been a dream and in December I realized it could be a reality. However, it's very tough to find seat time when there are so few here and we have 6 months of snow. I've ridden in 964s and 996s but haven't had the pleasure of driving them, let alone a 993. I'm going to go sit in a 993 this afternoon to make sure I fit at 6'2" w/ a helmet (see other thread). So aside from reading about the car as much as possible, talking to owners is the only other resource... so yeah... I get it. Based on the articles I've read, people I've talked to, and the discussions in Rennlist, Pelican Parts, PCA, etc... I'm thinking this is the right car for me.

The search continues...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerxst
I'm going to enjoy staying on this site once I find my 993. A lot of mature individuals with some great perspectives... and an ignorant twit or two to keep me laughing...
There are not ignorant twits here, or ok, there are but trust me, once you get your 993 and start enjoying it, for sure you'll call your friends nuts.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Every forum has them... I actually think Rennlist is better than most in that regard... although I'm still new.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:23 PM
D5LV
Advanced

Lerxst,
Just to add to everyone else. I did look at the 350z when I was in the market for another car. I like the looks, enjoyed driving it, and for the money is a great deal for the performance. Was honestly also considering the G35 coupe at the time. I have always been interested in Porsches, especially the 993 version of the 911. Luckily for me, just before deciding on the 350z/G35, the "right one" came along. Turned out a friend was selling his in order to get another one. Knew the car and the price was great. I have never looked back. Yes, maintenance costs are more, but the grin factor is always high when I get behind the wheel. And, even though I have another car as a daily driver, I tend to drive the 993 more. Not to mention that the Rennlist site is another great asset if you are involved with Porsches in any way, whether you own currently, past, or just lusting for one!
Old 01-18-2006, 06:17 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every forum has them... I actually think Rennlist is better than most in that regard... although I'm still new.
Yeah every forum does have them. Hang out more often and you'll find that this the most mature and laid back car web forum around.

I'm still quite new to the 993 crowd as well, but i'd have to say, the most annoying thing you'll find on this forum is people yelling at you to 1) Use the search function, 2) Assume you didn't use the search function even though you indicated you did, and 3) Tell you to buy membership (which you should).

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porscheologist
The car is expensive. Expensive new, expensive used, expensive to insure, expensive to mod and expensive to maintain. Overall very reliable but it has its warts.
Entry cost is high, but exit is high as well...it's the difference that counts.

Insurance? My 993 doesn't cost anymore than any old SUV...

Expensive to maintain? In some ways yes (parts), but if you frequent Rennlist and use a reliable shop, it's not that much more...
Old 01-18-2006, 07:34 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

The 993 has been, and continues to be, the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. If you are into DIY, they are very stimulating and fun to work on. The engineering and design of these cars is quite intoxicating.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

I had two 350Z's so I can comment here.
You will not be disappointed if you move to a 993.
Trust me.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Lerxst
Racer

I'm thinking that too...

Humor me... why were you not disappointed? What does the 993 do for you that the 350Z didn't?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:17 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking that too...

Humor me... why were you not disappointed? What does the 993 do for you that the 350Z didn't?
Honestly, that is a silly question if you go test drive a 993 and still ask that question, then you probably shouldn't buy one.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:27 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
...I'm happy to pay $200 for an oil change. That, my friend, is the very definition of lunacy.
Steve, stop holding out on us, where can you get an oil change for as little as $200?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

My Z cars rattled, squeeked, wore through tires in 5K, and overall made up my mind that I will never again own a Nissan product.

Aside from those problems, that you could argue were simple bad luck, my overall ownership was nowhere near as satisfying as my 993. When I'd get into the Z it simply did not feel special. Hightech, yes, modern, yes, but not special. A 993 is just special.
Looking around the interior of a Z there is so much plastic you could almost imagine you're sitting inside a gallon of milk. A 993 is so simple it's completely spartan by todays standards. And the really funny thing is, a 993 interior is high-tech compared to pre '89 911's.
The solid feeling when you close the doors cannot be replicated.
The anticipation you feel when you turn the key never gets old.
The smell of the leather/carpet/air cooled motor is distinctive.
The Z is not a slouch in terms of performance. And the one area the Z beats the Porsche is the gearbox. My Z shifted beautifully. The Porsche is a bit more notchy.

Anyway, it is all about character. You need to go drive one. And not just a trip around the block. Find one you can keep for the afternoon. Or better yet, over night. Try and count how many times you stop and look back at the car when you park it. Or the silly reasons you'll come up with to go take a peek at it in the garage.
Man, I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Thanks LP... I appreciate you sharing your personal experience with both cars.

I'm presently knee-deep in snow and will be for the next 4 months. These cars are very rare where I live, so finding an opportunity to test-drive one for an afternoon before I buy is going to be tough. So I figure the next best thing is to talk to people with actual experience in both cars... and ask all my silly questions.

Last edited by Lerxst; 01-19-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs 993