Sponsored by:

OT - Son gets Learners Permit today

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:24 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Son gets Learners Permit today

Well that time is finally here. My son starts driving today. Where does the time go? Here is another reason not to get a P-Car in the short term. He was very bummed when I sold the turbo. For some reason he had this foolish idea that he was going to get to drive it. Don't know where he got that from, but it wasn't me. Anyway, I now have to let him drive me places. I hate to have other people drive when I am in the car. So I am about to find a whole new definition for patience, understanding, and several other things that are not really my strong suit...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like perfect timing on the TT sale - too much car for a new driver. I did the same with my daughter several years ago and you're right: patience, patience, patience

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:46 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the porsche- just lock away those keys....and put a club on it when you go away for vacation (remember Risky Business?)
Old 01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
So I am about to find a whole new definition for patience, understanding, and several other things that are not really my strong suit...
...such as insurance claim, bail, curfew, ... , ....
Old 01-13-2006, 01:49 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you, Bob. My son turns 16 today, but it hasn't been 6 months yet since he received his permit, so we're not going to DMV yet. But he has driven my 993 and did pretty well with the clutch. His comment, "Dad, this car is alot quicker then the Jeep we've been driving at drivers school..."
Old 01-13-2006, 01:52 PM
tlark
Drifting

Bob you should have told me this news when we spoke the other day........I will prey for you

next time you ride with him, you should wear your helmet.

I told my wife when my daughter gets her permit were heading to one of the Arrowhead Staduim lots.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
jnor10
Instructor

I'd much rather drive than be driven as well, but teach your son to drive like the art form that it is. Once you get beyond the big picture stuff, start emphasizing finese.

I think years of Play Station type games really helped my son with the visual picture and coordination.

With application of patience and knowledge, while holding him to a higher standard he'll do great.

My son took 2nd place in novice for autocross this year running against alot of older experienced drivers in much better cars. I was impressed.

It really is a learning experience for both involved.

Have Fun,

Jeff N.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:08 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Hi Bob,

Where did the time go indeed. In my house-hold Margaret would have NOTHING to do with the kid's driving. She'd freak out in the passenger seat, so I did all the honors. First time my son took the wheel with me, he promptly ripped out the passenger side of th ML on a lamp pole. I can still remember the countless hours I spent with Melissa in a Foot Hill College parking lot getting her started. So I can sympathesize with your predicament.

Boy, those are the good old days.

CP
Old 01-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're in Florida? Good - I don't have to worry about driving on the roads here in Pittsburgh.

(seem to remember way back when when I got my permit - the family auto insurance premiums went up by something like a factor of 5!)
Old 01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Thanks all for the words of wisdom, prayers, insurance claim phone numbers, etc. Well at least I am a driving instructor for the track. Maybe that will help. I do like the suggestion Tom of wearing the helmet. I am sure that will give him a lot of confidence...

I hope Pong that his first time does not end up like yours with your son. BTW - Happy 2006. I sure hope it is a LOT better to you and your family than '05.....

Also as odd as it may seem, my insurance rates do not go up while he has his Learners Permit. Kind of odd, but since I have (or any other adult with him in the car) has insurance they tell me there is nothing else needed. Now when he has his license, then his rates I think will eclipse my house payments...
Old 01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That happend to me 2 years ago already!!!
Good souvenirs though, I tried to give him all the "sciences" on how to park and pratice the required manoeuvers for the final exam.
When your son will get his licence, he'll be happy to be the designated driver to bring you home from parties
Old 01-13-2006, 02:33 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Toga
Good souvenirs though, I tried to give him all the "sciences" on how to park and pratice the required manoeuvers for the final exam.
Yes I keep telling my son though that drifting is not on the drivers test so we do not need to start practicing.

The really odd thing about my son is that he does not want a manual transmission. Not on a car, or a motorcycle (yeah he thinks we are going to buy him a Ducati next year for his 16th B-day). I guess I can be thankful for that at the moment.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:09 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob
BTDT. Apart from the obvious jokes, it's serious business & whenever your kid is out driving there's a moment of panic when the phone rings. If you'd like, I'll email my "Car Agreement" to you. Each of my 2 kids (sons) signed it when they got their driver's license as a condition of driving our cars. It reflects the importance w/which my wife & I viewed their driving responsibilities & our obligations to keep everyone safe.

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 01-17-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:35 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've taught my teenage daughter to drive all of our vehicles including my 993, she's not a bad driver, but she prefers riding in it more than driving it.
To remove any temptation for a Risky Business day, all the keys to it are locked in my pistol safe whenever the car is home and I'm not!
ZP44
Old 01-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
If you'd like, I'll email my "Car Agreement" to you. Each of my 2 kids (sons) signed it when they got their driver's license as a condition of driving our cars. It reflects the importance w/which my wife & I viewed their driving responsibilities & our obligations to keep everyone safe
Dan, I'd love a copy of that too, if I may. My daughters are still (fairly) little, and I'm already worried about them driving. My ace in the hole is the probability that we'll have run out of oil by the time they are of legal driving age, but you can't be too careful. I'd also appreciate you emailing some type of legal document they can sign re: dating...

Quick Reply: OT - Son gets Learners Permit today