Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Did I damage a lifter??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:11 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just did a search for valve noise and found this thread...

So Porscheologist, what was the verdict?

I find my self in an almost identical situation... got my fingers crossed!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As a new Porsche owner for not even a month I too have noticed this ticking sound. My nervousness was because I had just bought my first Porsche. I thought the sound could be a problem.

Oil pressure and temps are normal; car has good power. I was told that if these cars sit for a while they could burn some oil for a period of time after getting put back into service. I was told that my car looks like its been sitting for a while. I have burned a quart in a little over 1,300 miles, most of it the first 700 miles.

After hearing this and seeing that my car seems acceptable in the oil consumption department I began to wonder if the ticking sound might be a bad lifter. After reading this tread and others I don't think so anymore.

I have been told that my engine sounds fine. So, I am going to stop worrying about my ticking sound and just enjoy the car.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milller and 993 James, car is running fine. Luckly these cars can run low on oil (not recommended of course) without damage. The ticking is still there and I personally believe new lifters (bottom 6) will help remedy the situation. But it is not critical at this point. Just a bit annoying. Worn lifters? Most likely. Ruined or collapsed? No its not that loud a sound. I plan on replacing all 6 this summer sometime. In the meantime I am busy hunting down a solution to my gearbox woes.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:14 PM
tbil
Racer

Please do keep us posted on your gear box woes. Don't know what's in mine (dyno or syn) but I get the same thing, notchy when cold in 1st, 2nd, to a lesser degree 3rd. Different gear oil would be an easy solution.

By the way, went ahead and replaced my clutch, once it started to slip it went pretty fast. Ended up having Blk Forest do the work for $2300. Based on what I learned from you (time and degree of dificulty) decided this was not too bad of a deal. Traveling quite a bit with work these days so time with family was also an issue.

Good to hear your car is on the road running well.

Tom
Old 01-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I say it is pretty normal to hear lifters ticking on all porsche air cooled engines. Drive with your windows down next to a sound barrier and you will see. The thing is many of us have freeflow exhaust systems which overpower the lifter noise. You can hear lifters on both my '77 Carrera 3.0 and '95 993.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

993James993,

It's kind of difficult to tell you how loud my '95 lifters in a textual manner but I will try by giving you a couple of scenarios:

I will hear my lifters when...
1. Windows down on enclosed garage
2. Windows down driving next to a sound barrier at crusing speed (low rpms)
3. Car is idling and I am out side the car 5 feet or less from the engine

I will not hear my lifters if ....
1. Windows are up
2. Windows are down but the car is not on enclosed area or next to a barrier that will reflect the sound of the lifters.

Hope this helps somewhat. If you are certain that noise of your llifters has increased you may have a problem but you will be inclined to search for noises after driving low on oil. The thing is you may identify noises that were already there.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

The valves on my Audi TT have always been noisy. People comment on the sound, they think its unusual but I have a friend who also has a TT and his car sounds the same. The sound level of valve tapping is similar to the 911 in my opinion except on the TT you need to lift the hood to hear it. The TT with 5 valves per cylinder might make a difference I am not sure…but it sure does tap along.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Francisco, my experience is the same as yours. Did you get your distributor issues resolved?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

I relate the sound to that of a sewing maching or maybe a ticking clock. I remember the same sound on my SC but those are mechanical lifters not hydraulic. I guess I expect these to be more quite. Anyhow all good for now....except my gearbox...
Old 01-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Porscheologist and others, did any of you recently remove the engine under tray? I guess it is typical after engine removal to say "Hey don't put that plastic cover back on, it makes for a hotter engine anyways.." This will allow you to hear engine noises including the lower valve lifters more acutely.

Miller,

Distributor issue was resolved after ordering a remanufactured unit from Pelican. Three days later my transmission's selector shaft got stuck so currently my car is engineless and the transmission is at the shop for repair. I am anxious to get this resolved and test my car with FabSpeed Catbypass, Chip, and Supercup intake. Also added the 993 RS sideskirts.

Later.....

Quick Reply: Did I damage a lifter??