Anybody Know This Car? SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:24 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Anybody Know This Car? SF Bay Area

http://www.myhotcars.com/used-cars.p...d4c115913cd26a

The only records they have indicate 30k service (and some other misc work) done at 47k miles, and a minor service (~$200) at 50k miles, both done in Newport Beach, presumably by the current owner. No 60k service. Carfax is clean.

It's the color I want, with not too many miles, very clean on the inside, not bad on the outside. So, I'm just throwing this out there on the off chance that one of you is familiar with the car.

Thanks!

Bruce
Old 01-07-2006, 09:40 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd stay away from this car because someone put in a 3.4L engine. Guess the stock 3.6 non-varioram was just too much to handle.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce:
I don't know this car. Kassabian does a lot of consignment sales. You should find out if they own the car, or if it is on consignment. Last year, Kassabian had a guards red coupe, in pretty good condition, that they eventually sold for $22,500. I wasn't interested in a red coupe, so I did not spend a lot of time checking the car out. I hope this information is useful.
Good luck.
Michael
Old 01-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

This is less than 10 miles from me.
Let me know if you want me to look it over for you.

tim
Old 01-07-2006, 10:06 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Kassabian has a lot of good and marginal cars. I bought a BMW 850i from them that needed some minor mechanical work which I knew going into the deal. The salesmen / management are slimey so know the car and the value before going into the deal.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Bruce:

I saw this car at Kassabians before X-Mas just when they took it in. I was down there with a few other guys looking at a '71 'Cuda they have...

This car is no "garage queen" from what I saw. Lot's of swirl marks in the paint. However, the interior was pretty good for its age. Normal wear on the steering wheel, seats and shifter.

Considering it is a very early MY95, the overall condition looked pretty good for age and mileage. If you are looking for a driver that might need some TLC, this car might be worth a more in depth look.

Given it where it is for sale, I would sure arrange to do an independent PPI. There are several good places for a PPI not too far away...maybe 1/2 hour or so.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:49 PM
jhale
Pro

Brucec59- the car looks very nice in the pictures. I was looking for the exact same car 8 months ago. I finally found one with 15K less miles and a few more options (motor sound, alpine stereo, sport classic II 18", lsd/abd, etc) and I was able to get it for the same price. I would think that you should be able to negotiate their asking price down a bit. Maybe these cars have held their value more than I thought but it would be worth a try. I would try and get them to pick up the 60K service. I think it's around $2k.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:13 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I stopped in there last Sunday just to kick some tires. That car is pretty rough on the outside, paint is not in great shape, it looked it may have had the front bumper repainted, I also saw some unpainted gray colored plastic inside the air vent openings below the front bumper. It also needs new gas shocks for the hood, it won't hold itself open. This car definately has spent many a night parked out on the street. There are lots of black 993's for sale, I'd pass on this one. I've been to their showroom 3 or 4 times but it seemed like this time most of the cars were below average and overpriced.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:45 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. Yes the car is a bit rough on the outside, but not too bad for an 11 year old black car. And it is on consignment - does that help me or hurt me?

"Lots of black cars for sale" - please tell me where. I haven't seen any locally for a while. I've been looking on craigslist, autotrader, cars.com, dealer web sites, and of course Rennlist and Pelican. Where else should I be looking?

Thanks again!

Bruce
Old 01-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Consider checking out All German Auto in Escondido, CA they have 993's from time to time and may know of a car, send a PM to Bobby T (May I Help you officer?) who posts here as he seems to know about some great cars for sale (he found and helped me buy mine). A number or people have had good luck with cars fron Tru-Speed Motors in COsta Mesa, Ca as well. Happy hunting!

Peter
Old 01-08-2006, 12:23 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but I want to buy locally (SF Bay Area). I really have to see the car in person and drive it myself.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Here is a black '98S - it may be worth coming down to see and drive after someone local sees it, etc. for you. My heighboor bought his there and has been quite happy, good rep, etc. They will take it to a PPI location for you - there are prlenty of people who can suggest soemone to you in Orange County. I am not affiliated, etc. just trying to help.

Peter
Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Sorry forgot link - http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/inv..._stock_no=1046

Peter
Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Very nice, but a '98 S is out of my price range. I'm looking to spend 30k +/-. Thanks, tho!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked the Carfax on the Black 98 C2S and it is the cleanest report I have seen in a very long time.
I want to see regular, annual mileage on a low mileage car and this car looks legit. This one might be a keeper. It may be pricey, but from what I see, it may be a gem.

Quick Reply: Anybody Know This Car? SF Bay Area