Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for Tires - Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:56 PM
omilu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the z rated Kumos all around on 17 inch stock rims, cost of the rear via tire rack is about $100 not installed. Really like them, and they do get gummy after warming them up
Old 01-08-2006, 12:16 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Bridgestones.

I have S03's on my 911SC and just received a set of S02-A's on Friday for the 993. They're stacked in the basement until the S02's currently on the car wear out. The S02's are a bit loud but I understand the S02-A's are much better. I know it's two different cars and suspensions but I'm anxious to try out the 02-A's versus the S03's.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:41 AM
MrClean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, I have never owned a 911 so I can't specifically comment on any tire on the 911. However, I do have experience with a number for performance tires on various sports/sporty cars* under various conditions (spirited driving, HPDE, and general daily driving duties). I believe this may translate to someone with similar driving expectations looking for tires on their 911.

How I rank them based on experience:

Dry:
S02 > RE050 > P-Zero Rosso > Pilot Sport > P-Zero Nero

Wet:
P-Zero Nero > P-Zero Rosso > RE050 > Pilot Sport > S02

Least Noise after 50% worn or more (I believe this is a very important category over the life of the tire):
RE050 > P-Zero Rosso > S02 > Pilot Sport > P-Zero Nero

Best Overall for Daily Driving:
P-Zero Rosso

I have had two sets of P-Zero Rossos on two different cars that I drove daily and loved them. I'd buy them again.

Best Overall for HPDE:
RE050

The RE050 has great dry grip, good wet grip and is very predictable, which is especially nice for HPDE. The one real negative for this tire is its wear (tread wear: 140), where I am lucky to get much more than 10k-12k miles. All the other tires I can get 15k miles on average and in some rare cases up to 20k miles.

=====
Summary:
I put much emphasis on the performance of the tire and truly believe to get the most out of the car you must have a good tire. I am of the belief all-season, high performance tires are too much of a compromise for a sports/sporty car that you plan to use for its engineered potential purpose. Unless you are really strapped for cash, it is worth paying a more for the "right" tire. I typically stick with what the OE on the car* from the factory. Many times the car was tuned by professional drivers and engineeers with that tire/suspension/chasis combination.

*Audi S4, Audi TT, Honda S2000
Old 01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mac993
My understanding is that tire rack is not selling them anymore due to the tire being discontinued. When I called last week they still had some fronts in stock (235's 18's) and one pair of rears (265 18's) but they were selling the rears for $335 a tire!!! The SSR's used to be the steal of the tire world ( If I remember correctly the rears used to sell for $129 per). Maybe I got some misinformation... I hope so.
Your right...I use to run the SSR's on my audi at $129 per. Couldn't beat it...
Old 01-09-2006, 03:44 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
It's time for tires, and I hate the non-N rated Kumo's that I have. So my tire guy is recommending:

Pilot Sport "N2"
SO2-A "N4"
so you go thru 'bout 2 sets per my one i finally need rears.

fred fwiw: my so3's have held up well & perform amazing in the wet. harder formula than the old so2's though. so may last longer @ sacrifice of some 'stickiness' (though the tire is still very predictable). imho, these take a bit longer to get up to temp. but have been great wearing. reaching wearbar on rears @ 15k plus. (to the normal 7k!) for street imho pfg.
[ not 'n' rated though ]

p-zeros have been great early on performance wise but terrible for me (as far as lasting) & imho were scary/unsafe in the wet.

Last edited by 24FPS; 01-09-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had always run S02 and recently S02As but with the last change i needed a full set of 18"'s and moved to S03s.

My daily commute is through the canyons (Topanga and Old Topanga) and the S03's are great. LOTS of grip, and perhaps a little quieter. also they have a better wear rating.

The main reason for changing was that S02/A are getting harder to source and i didn't want to get damage on one tire and then end up changing both if the wear was light.

Anyway, i'm very happy with the S03s
Old 01-10-2006, 02:44 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah too bad for the SSR's been discontinued. I put them on the cabrio and they are awesome on the street! I was most impressed with them and much better than anything I had previously ( Pilot Ribs, S02;s and P-Zeros).
Old 01-10-2006, 03:05 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Elton in SoCal]Sorry, maybe not constructive, but I will never buy another set off Michelin tires due simply to the F1 fiasco at Indy.

EXACTLY!!!!

I spent 8 hours driving round trip for that B.S. and I don't care if Michelin makes the greatest thing since sliced bread - I'm not buying them.

I have Pirelli's now - fine in summer, squirrly in cold conditions.

I think my next set will be the Bridgestones.

Quick Reply: Time for Tires - Again