Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You thing Cobra Suzuka Carbon Fiber seat fits in a 993???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking You thing Cobra Suzuka Carbon Fiber seat fits in a 993???

No it doesn't ....................when installed, the left most forward part of the seat covers the driver's door handle on the left and also interferes with the shifter on the right. I sure hope the store will take the damn thing back!

I re-installed the EVO2, but this time NOT on sliders. It feels a lot better although entry and egress is a bit of a pain. No I can sell off the other EVO 2 and sliders. Look for the ad, real soon...unless my neighbor buys it.

Seat installs suck.....................

UPDATE: The seats WIIL fit, if I add a RS door panel on the left and remove the center console. Now that is not what I had in mind on this seat upgrade! I am looking at other seats...have to now as my neighbor forced me to sell him the EVO II seats sans side mounts and brackets. These need a home now.

Last edited by Martin S.; 01-05-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, seat installs are no fun, until your done, that is..

The Suzuka should fit, very tight, but will fit. The right side (drivers seat) will crash into the console and the left into the door panel cap. Its a great seat and may be worth some modifying (?)..

Martin, did you ever sit in the Imola 2 GT seat? I have these in my car and I think they are wonderful. Very comfy, even after trips to Buttonwillow and Streets..
Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh no Martin. Tell me you didn't buy from the ignorant sleezeballs at Subesports (the primary US cobra distributor). They told me the Imola II seats with their expensive frame would drop right in, which they knew was a lie. Plus the mounting width was totally wrong, requiring a lot more reaming & cutting. Horrible project. But by the time I hit the problems it was like 31 days after I bought them, so they refused to give me any support at all. With the right adapter Cobra seats might fit, but they're too lazy to figure out which ones. Apparently they've given up too, since I read that they'll no longer sell seats for Porsches. That's a good thing.

And yup, seat installs do suck. I have to pull mine and rework the entire installation since it's still not great.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 PM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin, I have a cobra suzuka as a driver seat.
It took a lot of work to make it fit but it did fit.
As far as Subesports, I can t agree more. Hated doing business with him. Told me the seat would fit right in ............ Hours later I was still working on it.
I do really like the seat though.
I have both the EVO2 and teh cobra suzuka.
The EVO2 is much more confortable but the Suzuka is so much deeper and holds you much better.
Also the fabric on the Suzuka is better than the fabric used by Sparco. Not as prone to get thorn.
BR,
Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Martin:

I put the Suzuka GT in my old 993. The GT is bigger than the regular GT. My seat may be further back than your's, however, since I am taller. Give it another try.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking One more try....not easy

Installing seats...what a pain in the butt. I got the seat from Dave Turner Motorsports in San Diego (An Impulse buy...after I found someone who wanted my two (2) EVO 2 seats.

Although the shop doesn't appear to know their applications very well, their service and overall attitude has been great. They have told me I can bring the seat back and trade it in for one with a lower bolster, similar to the EVO II seat.

The only reason for the change, I want Kevlar seats over fibreglass. And it was time for some new seats...I have had them (EVO IIs) for about 5 years.

As usual, Rennlist folks have stepped up with great insight and advice. Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:12 PM
tlark
Drifting

as a foot note, I have the regular Evo's. Floor mounting appears to be the best and most pain free way to install them based on past threads. Its the sliders and brackets that are the PIA for the most part.

The places that sell these seats are only as helpful as the knowledge they have when it comes to our 993's, which is very little IMO. Our cars are not square and exact in any measurements especially when it comes to doing these mods. Therefore they often become a custom application and you can sometime have to modify your seats just to get them to fit. I would have never got Evo II's in w/sliders on my turbo. The width in the hips alone wouldn't have allowed it to clear the tranny tunnel and harness mount. Case in point is Martin S. can get them in his, but I cannot get them in mine and its the same floor just built at a differing time.

Congrats on your install.............
Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Martin, I am going to install a EVO 2 in my 914, so if you
are still looking for a home for the side mounts, send me a PM.

If anyone one has a EVO 2 they are looking to be rid of, PM me also.

Steve
Old 01-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Side Mounts and Sliders...

The ideal person I would like to find is someone who wants two sets of side mounts, two sets of sliders. If I break up the set it will be real hard to move the remaining hardware. I paid over $300 for both sets of side mounts and sliders...I'll sell them for 1/2 of what I paid for them. I purchased them from Group 5 Racing in San Diego...check out their prices...perhaps I am wrong on what I paid.

Thanks,

Martin
Old 01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I purchased them from Group 5 Racing in San Diego...
Martin, is Group 5 four revisions before Group 9?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteveAbrahams
Martin, I am going to install a EVO 2 in my 914, so if you
are still looking for a home for the side mounts, send me a PM.

If anyone one has a EVO 2 they are looking to be rid of, PM me also.

Steve
Steve:

I have an extra one. It is sitting with my mechanic in Fullerton. I will PM you.

Quick Reply: You thing Cobra Suzuka Carbon Fiber seat fits in a 993???