Sponsored by:

OT: Took some BS from one of my customers on the 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OT: Took some BS from one of my customers on the 993

Funny thing that misconceptions that our cars can sometimes cause.

For example, I work in medical sales and drive the 993 Cab every day all over So Cal. Its a fun way to work.

So...a week ago, I was up in Santa Maria doing some training in one of the new offices for the staff. When I was done, the two doctors call me over and one said pretty snottily: "judging by that nice Porsche out there, you arent going to be visiting us unless we give you some business. Maybe we should become reps for your company since you are doing so well. Whats a car like that cost, at least 50K right? Little guys like us arent going to be that important to you are we?"...
I said "no, more like around 30K + its about 8 years old....the car is very reliable, and because I drive so much, I want to drive something more enjoyable than a Nissan Altima....and by the way, I dont get paid by the case so I will be happy to come here whenever you need it..."

I shoulda said "hey, dont blame me...I didnt make your career choice for you"
But I do understand that perhaps its better for business if I park my car out of sight so some of these guys dont get offended or the wrong idea.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a MD obviously ain't what it used to be!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:13 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reynard38
Being a MD obviously ain't what it used to be!
Exactly!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ignorance and jealousy comes in many career fields
Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic dB
Whats a car like that cost, at least 50K right?
Maybe these Docs are Rennlisters and they were factoring in the cost of mods
Old 01-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 565 Posts

I was spared such crass comments during my sales career, but only because I always arrived from the airport by taxi or rental car. I think you were the model of restraint. I would have said, "Let me find you a competitor with a rep who drives a beater. Then you can focus on the really important aspect of the product line you need."
Old 01-05-2006, 12:31 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I only drive a 944 and still get the same ****. I am a senior engineering student who is now in the process of looking for a job. I no longer drive myself to interviews. I trade cars with a friend who drives a 95 Nissan 240SX. I got turned down for 2 jobs on the basis of what I drove. They didn't think I needed the job because mommy and daddy coudl afford to give me a Porsche. Little did the know I paid for the car by myself and it was under $5K.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:03 AM
troutrover
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I just recently got my 993 and have had many comments about "life must be good", "they pay you too much" (I am self employeed), "I shoul have been a ..." All the while there all drove $40k+ Tahoes and suburbons! I got mine for $34,000 and it is done depiciating...Not my fault they want to look just like the guy next door!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by troutrover
I just recently got my 993 and have had many comments about "life must be good", "they pay you too much" (I am self employeed), "I shoul have been a ..." All the while there all drove $40k+ Tahoes and suburbons! I got mine for $34,000 and it is done depiciating...Not my fault they want to look just like the guy next door!
Exactly. Hard to impress upon some people that the soccer mom mobile they are driving costs more and depreciates faster. Got my first comment while parking to pick up a pizza the other day from a few kids in a tricked out ricer. Nice car and I'm sure he'd spent a fortune on it. Wanted to know "mister what did that run you?". My response, about what you have in that Honda. A few puzzled looks in response followed by a short talk about the 993 and the Honda. Nice guys and they were thinking when we were done.

I work in healthcare also. Can say that being a doc is not what it used to be. These guys are taking a beating the last several years with malpractice premiums. Many of them are taking less money home than they were before and have had to give themselves pay cuts to pay the premiums. I drive the VW to the hospital most days to avoid fanning the flames.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ignorance can be found in many places, usually traveling along with close friend Jealousy! When in College, I drove used 356s, then bought a 1 year old 911 in my last year. I was fortunate enough to have a scholarship, and worked for everything else. While the negative comments were common, the biggest advantage is that when I would drive on campus and park in the faculty parking right next to the School of Business, I was never ticketed or hassled. I assumed this was due to the Campus Cops thinking the car belonged to a Prof who had no parking sticker on his/her toy. Those of you who know what the student parking is like at the U of Washington can understand what a bonus this was!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:05 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I think that the problem exists because these cars are just too dam sexy. People cant resist making comments or having a jealous reaction. (aka p-car envy) Just buy a 996 than no one will notice you.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Or a Boxter and just blend in
Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

I have been getting that kind of crap for years. My 2002 745i cost less than their Tahoe. Who cares let them be jealous. A 911 was my daily driver for years. I don't know that it ever cost me any business.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

These stories are common as are the threads discussing them. It's been mentioned to me a couple of times in my career as well. But very rarely. There is a flip side! I truly believe that I've gained far more business over the many years than I've lost where my car is concerned. All and all, most people like to do business with what they perceive as winners. Soooo, IMHO, the perception (deception?) can be beneficial.

Bill
Old 01-05-2006, 10:30 AM
MrClean
Instructor

Originally Posted by luv2ride
I think that the problem exists because these cars are just too dam sexy. People cant resist making comments or having a jealous reaction. (aka p-car envy) Just buy a 996 than no one will notice you.
Hey, I believe I have seen that vanity plate "PCAR N V".
=====
This topic directly relates to one of the reasons I have waited so long to buy a Porsche. I work for an old, established engineering firm that rebuilds large rotating electrical equipment. The culture here is very old school for the most part and pulling up in a 911 (any variant) would likely be met with much ridicule, not to mention possible effects on annual increases (believe it or not, but I have heard the stories...) Anyway, at this point, I have decided that life is too short to worry about such nonsense and I am going to enjoy what I have worked so hard to attain.

Damn the consequences and let's all enjoy what the motoring hobbies and Porsche have to offer!

My P-Car research will continue.

Quick Reply: OT: Took some BS from one of my customers on the 993