Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Took some BS from one of my customers on the 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I've got a wing commander who thinks I'm on "the take". My boss is always jabbing me, telling me I must be "redistributing some of the narcotics seizures we obtain occasionally. Either that or I'm selling secrets.
It's all in good fun. Many people (esp. non-car people) think these cars are much more expensive than they really are.

Bottom line is, I did not choose this hobby. It chose me.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:26 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perception is reality when it comes to the cars you drive. Everyone thinks your wallet is fat because of the car you drive. That may be true, but it is really how you manage what you have in your wallet. Some of these young kids have invested more in their Civic, are totally maxed out and will be paying for their bling long after it's gone.

For the time being I'm keeping my 2002 Toyota Tundra just to "de-impress" certain clients when necessary. FWIW, I've been able to gain a thunbs up with an explanation along the lines of "I did my homework, shopped around and paid less than a Tahoe" response.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Some people get it, some don't.

That's why I also own a 'burban.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:55 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
Some people get it, some don't.

That's why I also own a 'burban.
Yep, that's why I drive an Explorer. I hope to get the pity factor from customers.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:04 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Preceived value vs. actual value. Simple as that...well...throw in a little jealousy into the mix.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years, I've had some very nasty experiences relating to what I drive. Porsches (all of them) aren't really just cars. In our society they are iconographic and symbolic of something none of us likes. Many people think they are beautiful, well built cars, but that is not what they are societally notorious for. Most people are culturally hard-wired to think a Porsche is the transportation of choice for a rich jerk (or his offspring, if you look young). Call it envy, prejudice, classist, knee-jerk or misinformed...It goes with the territory and shouldn't surprise anybody here. You have to get some thick skin and be prepared for the comments if you are going to own one.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perceived value caused by how well we maintain our 993s. The uninformed can't tell the difference between our Carerras and the newer 60Kplus pcars.

Posted from my blackberry
Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

I work in a manufacturing plant, the home of the blue-collar, cost savings, and frugalness (and countless $40K+ chrome-wheeled bass-boat-pullin' pickups). At my last plant I never spoke about the car or drove it to the plant (after seeing the reactions at a previous plant with my 964). This time, after being here for a year or so, I started sneaking in on weekends with it. I have even put a picture of my car in my office from an autocross. My bosses don't give me much flak anymore, as the current CEO has a 996TT as his daily driver and just got back from Skip Barber. I hope he stays a while!

Same issue though-people think it cost a million dollars, even though 2/3 of them don't know what it is besides a funny-little-furrin-car. They still give me crap about my daily driver 97 Lexus ES300 with 110,000 miles. It's probably worth, oh, $6K.

Jason
Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Reynard38
Pro

As a pilot for a major bankrupt airline a lot of my peers are suprised when I tell them I have a Porsche. They assume that it cost way more than the F350 bubba truck they are driving. When I tell them what I paid, and that the car is actually appreciating they are shocked.
A lot has to do with the fact that we maintain our cars so well. Most 8 year old cars on the road lok like crap. I get approached reguarly in parking lots and asked about my "new" Porsche. Most are very surprised when I tell them that it's 8 years old, and that it's cheaper to insure than a BMW cabrio.
Folks at my Real Estate office don't have any problem with it at all. (Nobody's just a pilot anymore!)
Old 01-05-2006, 03:30 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Howdy993
Ignorance and jealousy comes in many career fields

yeah, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've gotten snide comments about my 993

...the company I used to work at, the only other person with a 993 (or even a porsche) was the CEO (except he had 4 or 5 cars and only drove the 993 a few times it seemed)

...so you can imagine the comments I got (especially the snide ones about being overpaid)

..well, now I've been unemployeed since March last and guess what, I still have my 993 for now! ...even if I'm forced to sell it, I will eventually buy another once I'm employeed again (because the 993 is just too good to be away from for long )

...My favorite is the VW people who 'snub' me with my 993... then I tell them they can buy their own 993 for less than the cost of an R32 VW and that usually shuts them up.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I get comments about being overpaid (becuase I am a Porsche enthusiast) from my A-hole boss on a regular basis.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
mborkow
Drifting

two doctors call me over and one said pretty snottily: "judging by that nice Porsche out there, you arent going to be visiting us unless we give you some business. Maybe we should become reps for your company since you are doing so well. Whats a car like that cost, at least 50K right? Little guys like us arent going to be that important to you are we?"
how shall i put this: **** them.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These 993s really create an illusion that the person driving it is very wealthy and successful because they do cost a lot when they were new and compared to other cars their maintenance costs are very high ie Dealer oil change etc. People also don’t see them very often as they are rare to spot.

One time I was crossing the Canada Border in the 993 and the Customs agent asked me what I did and I told him and his comment was I can see that you are really successful at what you do.

One of my nicer neighbors who loves cars and loves 911s asked me – “you don’t mind if I ask do you? Are those around 50K – I grinned and didn’t say anything

I drove my daughter to school and one of her class mates asked –Isn’t that a 911 Carrea –Only rich people drive them – you must be rich

With the new 18 inch wheels that I have on the car nowday one person even asked me if that is the new 997. This car is full of illusions.

I never drive my 993 to work or to Sales meeting as it would just show an illusion of excess and bring up emotions from other parties that could hamper business even if slightly – My 91 E350 Diesel Van makes people feel at ease and a neutral attitude helps our business where margins are tiny and every cent on the deal counts.

Recently, when I had a plumber in to service my Water heater in my Garage, I movee my 993 to the front of my Neighbor’s house as they see less of the illusion of $$$$$ and that makes negotiations easier.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:42 PM
f_scaife
Instructor

Recently, when I had a plumber in to service my Water heater in my Garage, I movee my 993 to the front of my Neighbor’s house as they see less of the illusion of $$$$$ and that makes negotiations easier.
Whoa!! I thought I was the only one this paranoid.

SAD BUT TRUE. The perception is that Porsche owners are some rich-elite class of people, even though you can spend WAY more on a DENALI, NAVIGATOR OR ESCALADE, and they are everywhere! I see them parked in front of the 'low income' apartments.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:42 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My sister-in-law just bought a new top end Jetta for $28,000 and gave me a ration of crap saying she probably paid a lot less than me and got a lot more features.............I calmly explained I paid the same for my 993 as she did for her Jetta and I really didn't want a car with an onboard solar battery charger anyway...........LOL

People have lots of misconceptions about the marque. The really good thing about that is, it keeps the really stupid ones from buying P cars and joining us at DE's...........LOL

Quick Reply: OT: Took some BS from one of my customers on the 993