Group Buy AC jack just puked all over garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:30 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts
Angry Group Buy AC jack just puked all over garage floor

My AC jack that many of us Rennlisters got as a group buy a couple of years ago just died on me with my car stuck up in the air. It puked fluid all over the floor and I had to be really creative with my old Sears jack to get the car down again.

Anyone else have this problem? The jack isn't that old and still looks nearly new...

Any thoughts as to how or where to service it? It is sure going to slow me down to be without my jack.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Which jack do you have? Are you referring to the AC Hydraulic ones?? They are supposed to be top of the line, no?

Good luck Tom.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:01 PM
pguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,

As I understand, these jacks carry 5 yrs warranty. I think you should contact the reseller such as www.asedeals.com or www.ultimategarage.com . They should be able to tell you how to obtain the warranty from manufacturer. Good luck.

-pguy

BTW, I'm thinking about buying one so your thread caught my attention.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Tom,
Steve G. makes this statement on his site regarding the AC jacks:

"If you've purchased a DK13 or DK20 jack, its important that you do a quick check to see if the hydraulics are adjusted properly. The online photos, available to Ultimate Garage customers, will allow you to better understand your jack and determine if there is a potential problem."

If the group buy went through the The Ultimate Garage, I'd contact Steve directly and see what he has to say. I've been at his Maryland distribution center and almost fainted after seeing so many different AC jacks. For now, I have a complete set of the flat top stands - no fluid to leak there.

Andreas
Old 01-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Tom,

As Andreas referenced above, I hope the AC jack stands you bought from me many moons ago aren't going to give up the ghost, too. Good luck with your jack.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the distributor for the USA is Sterili Kona, mine has an 800 number on a sticker on the side. See if yours has that and call them, they will probably take care of it.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:16 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

As Ron mentioned:

Stertil-Koni

Andreas
Old 01-03-2006, 09:17 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

rear main seal? Sorry, couldn't resist

I am quite surpised to hear this, given the quality of these jacks. I hope you are able to get it fixed stateside..
Old 01-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Tom:

Sorry to hear of your issue. Could you tell us where the jack leaked from?

I would be curious to know if it is from the lifting cylinder or the pump system.

I have seen jacks puke a pump seal, but a cylinder seal could be disasterous...

As an owner of two of these jacks, I will following this thread with more than average interest !

Regards
Old 01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

When I did some group buys (TomF, if you're one of mine let me know, but I don't have you in my spreadsheet) I was told that the AC Hydraulics units should be repariable at any hydraulic shop if need be.

If you bought through Steve W, contact him as I believe he has a very good relationship with Stertil-Koni. My man at Stertil-Koni left a couple of years ago but I'll be happy to call them if there's anything I can do. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pguy
Tom,

As I understand, these jacks carry 5 yrs warranty. I think you should contact the reseller such as www.asedeals.com or www.ultimategarage.com . They should be able to tell you how to obtain the warranty from manufacturer. Good luck.

-pguy

BTW, I'm thinking about buying one so your thread caught my attention.
I just ordered the DK20 and stands from ASE. Price includes shipping so not bad overall.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

I bought one of these from Steve during the group buy and my jack needed repair only a few months after I got it. It wouldn't hold the car up (would drop very slowly).

I contacted Steve and he give me a contact at Stertil-Koni in MD to call. They sent me a new hydraulic cylinder with instructions on how to replace it.

Its been fine every since...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:35 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. It was not a good day yesterday. I was jacking the car up to check on the bad install of my pss-9s (by Speedware in Redmond) because I had this nagging feeling that something was not right. See my earlier post about jacking with Pss-9s. Boy was I correct: improperly installed brake lines, the lock washers on the front shocks were 3/4 of an inch below the spring perch and the swaybar was in contact with the lower control arm. Anyway, then the jack blew up with my car in the air.

I am not sure where the jack blew its seal or seals. I couldn't quite see where it came from. It was a LOT of hydrolic fluid in about 30 seconds.

I will contact Stertil-Koni and see what they can do for me.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:20 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Tom,
Good luck with the jack - keep us posted regarding the repair.

Pretty crappy work from Speedware - was that just the tip of the iceberg as far as things you found?

Andreas
Old 01-04-2006, 08:36 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have a call into Stertil/Koni, but no call back yet.

Mark- the jack stands you sold me are great! I really love them. Without them, when my jack failed, it would have been impossible to pull the circus act off that it took to get the car down. They are incredibly stable.

Andreas- thanks. I am going to take the car in to be checked over thoroughly to be safe. At speed on the freeway today, it was a bit skittish- more so than before the install. I suspect that the alignment is way off.

I have already tightened up the locking rings on the front struts and reattached the brake lines correctly. How tough is it to get the clips seated correctly?! The inspection, alignment and re-corner balance I will leave to the guys at Truline who have been doing business with for 18 years. Lesson learned- I should have waited the couple of weeks until they could have done the install and alignment!

Quick Reply: Group Buy AC jack just puked all over garage floor