Broken antenna cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:11 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken antenna cable

In an effort to fix what appeared to be a loose connection at the back of my antenna booster, I cut the main antenna cable, and I'm starting to think this was a really bad idea. There used to be a very skinny wire within the plastic tubing, but now I don't see it. Is there a special tool needed to strip cables like this, or am I going to need a new cable altogether?

Old 12-30-2005, 06:20 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

There are two conductors.... A signal wire (small inner wire) and the shield (braided exterior wire).

You can strip the cable with standard strippers if you are careful.
I would recommend using a pocket knife on the black cover, then peel back the shielding wire. You can then use a standard pair of strippers to reach the center cable.

For repairs, you can go to radio shack and get connector ends..... aka Motorola plugs.
You can put a male on one side and female on the other and achieve your connection. This requires some soldering but is an easy 1/2 beer job.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine broke at the radio connection a few months ago and I went to Radio Shack to get another plug. They did not have anything that would work. I also checked a few car stereo shops w/o luck. I ended up repairing the one I had. the wire in the middle is about the thickness of a hair - you need to be carefull when soldering it back together! You may have luck at Radio Shack since you are just trying to repair the wire, and not the connector itself. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:34 AM
troutrover
Advanced

I just picked up a new end today found them for $.50 at a local electronic geek store. But before I found these I tried Radio Shack, Auto Zone, Car Quest, and a few stereo stores with not luck. Let me know if you need one and I can mail one to you, I pick up a couple.

Christian
Old 12-31-2005, 01:42 AM
troutrover
Advanced

...now I just need the short cable that goes between the antenna cable and a CDR220 (thanks for the heads up on this one Chuck W ) Anyone have an extra laying around?
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will go along with Scott C; did this repair/soldering type of "fix" on a few projects back in the analog days of stereo/TV.

Might also try two F-connectors for RG-58 cable (I think that's what this wire is; measure the diameter and check at Radio Shack) and a coupler to join the two together.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:51 AM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone - good to know that this can be repaired! The old connector came off so easily, I would not have known it was soldered.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:01 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If you go to RS, then look in the aisle with the drawers. The connectors are usually kept in a drawer with other banana plugs, etc.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think what you want from RS is here.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

They have a plug called a solderless plug. It's a motorola plug. I'll try to see if I can find the part number. I bought one a few months ago. Radio shack told me they didn't have what I needed, but I gave them the part number, and the computer said they had 5. They finally found them in a drawer somewhere.

Quick Reply: Broken antenna cable