Sponsored by:

help for reinstalling tach

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help for reinstalling tach

This should be simple, right? I got the tach out and replaced the bulb but can't get it back in. Started to take apart the plastic housing which covers the stalks and removed everything I can find but something is still holding the two halves together. They are loose but won't come off. I'm not sure that I even need to get the housing off but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Suggestions?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:40 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it with the housing loose. BTW, there's also two screws behind the steering wheel so you need to turn it right & left to get them out. It also helps if you remove the oil temp & level gauge as it is much easier to slide the tach into position. Then invert the tach to get it started in the hole as the rear is smaller at the bottom, then rotate to the correct position.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

I have already removed the screws behind the steering wheel but something else is holding the housing together. I'll definitely try the rotation trick. I can't see how removing another gauge will help - it doesn't seem to be in the way. Am I missing something?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:07 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 233 Posts

Terry,
I have not checked under the steering column of my 993, but on many cars there is a column hanger/bearing right under the dash. If a bracket of this sort is loosened or disconnected, the column can typically drop down to allow access to the instrument cluster.

Andreas
Old 12-18-2005, 01:03 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't forget to install the tach rotated with redline at 12 o'clock position - makes for much better visibility, especially for track use!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:09 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcar964
Don't forget to install the tach rotated with redline at 12 o'clock position - makes for much better visibility, especially for track use!!!

thinkin' the same. only w/o the track in mind.

btw: just had a new tach installed & the did pull the wheel to do it.
curious. was this done for ease of replacement???

weird though... noticed the new one has a very "day-glo" orange needle compared to the older gauges. oh well
Old 12-18-2005, 11:44 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 24FPS
thinkin' the same. only w/o the track in mind.

btw: just had a new tach installed & the did pull the wheel to do it.
curious. was this done for ease of replacement???

weird though... noticed the new one has a very "day-glo" orange needle compared to the older gauges. oh well
From what I can tell, the tach should come out without removing the wheel. I have the 3-spoke 996 wheel though, which might have slightly different clearance.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:25 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry L
I have already removed the screws behind the steering wheel but something else is holding the housing together. I'll definitely try the rotation trick. I can't see how removing another gauge will help - it doesn't seem to be in the way. Am I missing something?
Removing the oil temp gauge gives you that extra little clearence to make it easier. I think the column housing snaps together & the screws hold it in place. I didn't disassemble it, just loosened it along with the oil temp gauge removal.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all. The trick is indeed to rotate the tach 180 degrees, after which it goes in pretty easily. Of, course, nothing is that simple - I slightly bent the rim of the tach and one of the four screws holding the housing together won't engage. But we do this for fun, right?

Quick Reply: help for reinstalling tach