993 Forum 1995-1998

Tried a search: Won't start:Clicking sound and warning lights flash

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:47 PM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried a search: Won't start:Clicking sound and warning lights flash

This is strange. I went to start my C4S earlier and it won't start. The engine doesn't even make a sound or attempt to turn. When the key is turned, the warning lights all flash very rapidly in conjunction with a weird clicking sound that's just as rapid and in sinc with the flashing of the warning lights. I wonder if it's an immobilizer issue. I read a thread last night about whether or not certain model year 993s would start without depressing the clutch. So I tried to start mine earlier, without the clutch depressed and that's when this all started. Now, even with the clutch depressed, I only get this clicking and flashing of the warning lights in the guages. I tried reseting the alarm and waiting a minute or so and trying to start it again, with the same result.

I did a few searches and a 964 owner described a similar situation, but I was resolved by a long slow charging of his battery. I drove my car three days ago, and although it's cold out (20 degrees F), I've never had a problem in the cold, even after a week. Could it be a relay or fuse. If so, which one should I look at first.

Any suggestions or insight is much appreciated. I have a set of Pirelli 240 WS snows coming into the tire shop in the next day and need to get the car their soon. Thanks alot.

Matt B.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Battery?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:56 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or the DME relay?

The DME relay is located in the fuse box. It's one of the tall square units. I think it is the left most relay when looking at the front of the car - but check the chart inside the fuse box cover.

Last edited by epj993; 12-14-2005 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Updated post.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bradford
Battery?
I'll second that.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:20 PM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

I just went and tried it again. It sounded like it would start for the first half a second of turning the key, and then resumed the clicking and flashing. Tried again a few seconds later and no turning over sound, just more clicking and flashing. I did a search on DME, but can't figure out what that stands for. I guess it's so well known, everyone uses the acromnym.

Does the momentary sound of the car starting to turn over, indicate the battery, rather than the immobilized? Anyone else ever heard and seen a similar Click/Flash situation?
Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 02:22 PM
giw12
Track Day

Had EXACTLY the same on my C4..battery!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Matt B,

It almost certainly is a drained battery. Either it's an old worn out battery, pushed over the edge by the cold, OR your alternator belt has snapped and your battery isn't charging when the engine is running. Very common. Check in your engine bay to see if the belt is still there.

As to your question about the DME relay, that's the relay for your fuel pump, which when it goes can cause problems starting/running. It doesn't sound to me like DME relay symptoms however.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:40 PM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Thanks guys. I'll try to jump her when my brother comes over later with a compressor for my spare. (Mines at the P.O.s, I guess) I need to take of my flat on the right rear and put the spare on to get the car to the tire shop for 4 snows. One problem. I can't get the lug nuts to budge. I don't have any power wrench or drill. I figured, perhaps stupidly, that I could break the wheel nuts by hand, like with previous 911s I've owned. I put on the long cylindrical socket with the holes and tried to use the small 7 or 8 inch pry bar looking tool in the tool set to turn the socket via the two holes in it. No luck. Do any of you use the "by hand" method, or am I missing a tool or something?
Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 03:11 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the battery were marginal to begin with the cold weather would out an additional load on it that might have put it over the edge. Exactly how old is the battery?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

The only time mine did exactly what you describe, the battery was drained.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:52 PM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Thanks guys. The battery tender from the PO had somehow caused the battery terminal to work its way loose. I guess there was enough contact to start the car up until now, but the battery hasn't been charging. I was able to jump it and let it run for awhile. Hopefully it will start when it's warmer out tomorrow. It's the battery that came with the car about 15 months ago. Don't know when he put it in. I used my brothers metric tire iron to break the nuts. I guess I'll pick one up soon. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Tried a search: Won't start:Clicking sound and warning lights flash