Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005 | 09:47 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Default wiper question

Can the wipers eaisly be reversed so they rest on the passenger side rather than drivers side? I saw a car that had this done and the owner said it was for better vision, while I don't agree with this, is this something that is often changed? Is it a big deal to change back? Thanks
Old 12-11-2005 | 10:05 AM
subdriver
Rennlist Member

Have not changed the resting position myself; however, try the directions at this link.

http://p-car.com/diy/wiper/
Old 12-11-2005 | 12:21 PM
Nickels
Advanced

By removing the fuse for the wiper, you can make it park on the other side but then you loose the "self-parking" part of the wiper, you need to be quick in turning it off so that it stops on the right side of the screen. It drove me crazy in light rain so I put the fuse back in. On the other hand if you rarely drive in the rain, then remove the fuse, and park it on the right side. Robin's site gives you a better but more involved solution.
Old 12-11-2005 | 04:55 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have reversed the wiper park on several previous Porsches, and tried to do it on my 993, following the instructions on www.p-car.com without success. I even removed the hood and left hood hinge, but there just isn't enough room to work. I took it to my favorite independent shop, and they tried for a couple of hours, again with no joy.
Old 12-11-2005 | 05:07 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

In warmer climates, its possible just to leave the damned ugly things off!
Old 12-11-2005 | 05:15 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Steve,
Have you fitted caps or some other items to cover the exposed wiper shafts? I suppose one could remove the assemblies and then fit a clean-fitting plug - similar to when the rear wiper is deleted.

Andreas
Old 12-11-2005 | 05:42 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I found some large diameter black vacuum plugs and slipped them over the nubs. Scott Shepley (Bradford) actually made some nifty covers for his. One minor concern... it is technically illegal to NOT have working wipers on your car... and if I'm ever caught in a rainstorm, I may need to reatttach them in short order. Yes, I carry the wipers, hardware, and wrench in the trunk.

Last edited by ca993twin; 12-11-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2005 | 06:05 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I reversed mine. It is NOT easy. The instructions are correct in theory but I couldn't reach the retaining nut on the motor from under the hood. I went in through the odometer and oil gauge openings. You have to work completely blind in there and you really need rather thin forearms or you won't reach it.

I do like having them park on the opposide side so they are not in your line of sight when driving. However, they don't work as well this way. If you just want to wash your windshield, for example, the wipers being on the passenger side don't hold the water from running back up your windshield when driving. So instead of the water draining off the windshield to the side, it rolls straight up leaving streaks that you have to keep washing. Kind of a pain.
Old 12-11-2005 | 11:12 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I pilled the wiper relay (not the fuse) and manually stoped them on the passengers side. You loose the auto-park and the intermittent function, but i don't drive my car in the rain (much), so no big deal. I also re-positioned the wipers slightly so they "park" really low on the passenger side. It only takes a few minutes and it's great to have clear view.
Old 12-12-2005 | 03:45 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Sorry to be a bit of an *** here, but is this a problem that only shorter people have? (Inhibited visibility with wipers parking on driver's side) Or, is it just a cool guy thing to be different and have them on the other side??

To me, it seems a bit like the California "thing" of rotating the tach so "redline is straight up." (I say Cali thing because it seems to have started here, and I rarely see it on cars in other places, whereas I see it often here.) I know within a couple hundred RPM where it is just by ear, and I can feel it when the engine crosses the peak in the powerband. Running above that point just makes more noise...I usually just shift up. I completely fail to see the utility in a street car of being able to see the tach needle in your peripheral vision. You'd need to train yourself to pick it up and still focus on the road ahead anyway.

All fair if it both of these mods are just a preference and a cool guy thing done just to be different....but, just say so, and spare us the "boy racer" explanations.

Again, being a bit of an *** here, but let's get this out there.
Old 12-12-2005 | 04:05 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Avenger6
Sorry to be a bit of an *** here, but is this a problem that only shorter people have? (Inhibited visibility with wipers parking on driver's side) Or, is it just a cool guy thing to be different and have them on the other side??

To me, it seems a bit like the California "thing" of rotating the tach so "redline is straight up." (I say Cali thing because it seems to have started here, and I rarely see it on cars in other places, whereas I see it often here.) I know within a couple hundred RPM where it is just by ear, and I can feel it when the engine crosses the peak in the powerband. Running above that point just makes more noise...I usually just shift up. I completely fail to see the utility in a street car of being able to see the tach needle in your peripheral vision. You'd need to train yourself to pick it up and still focus on the road ahead anyway.

All fair if it both of these mods are just a preference and a cool guy thing done just to be different....but, just say so, and spare us the "boy racer" explanations.

Again, being a bit of an *** here, but let's get this out there.
IIRC the reason why people do the wiper reverse mod - esp w/ older 911s - is that with the wipers out of the way you can easily see both headlights and the front corners, which makes it easier to "point" the car when looking for apexes.
Old 12-12-2005 | 06:47 AM
IanUK
Advanced

Thinking about the fact that 993s tend to follow the design of earlier 911s, plus some of the comments about removing the autopark fuse makes me think of a mod I have on an earlier 911.

The change involves running the wire that connects to the wiper motor and controls autopark through a switch. When the switch is closed the wipers autopark and when it is open you can manually stop the wipers where you wish.

I have the mod so that when I use the car on track I can set the wipers to manual and park the wipers to the opposite side. It helps me 'point' the car into the corners easier as pointed out above. I prefer to sit low in the car otherwise I bang my helmet on the roll cage so I find the wipers do get in the way.

When driving on the road and it's dry I do the same. If on the road and conditions are wet I set the wipers back to auto mode. I have a small switch on the dash to control the mode.

No idea if this would still work in a 993 but thought it was worth sharing.

Ian.

PS Oh an my tacho is rotated but I prefer 5.5K at 12 o'clock and redline at 2 o'clock.
Old 12-12-2005 | 08:26 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Default Does gas manufacturerererer make a difference

Answering another thread I thought...I use Shell V Power gas...ALWAYS....but does it really make a difference...short term or long term...what do the rest of you do for gas...and to the technical ones...does it really matter as long as it is clean and good octane..93 here in MD...I know you poor things in other places have to put up with less than that...but again...does the manufacturer make a differnce.
Old 12-12-2005 | 08:27 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Whoooooopppppps this was meant to be a new thread...not a hijack...sorry
Old 12-12-2005 | 09:28 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Avenger6
is this a problem that only shorter people have?
To me, it seems a bit like the California "thing" of rotating the tach so "redline is straight up." (I say Cali thing because it seems to have started here, and I rarely see it on cars in other places, whereas I see it often here.).
yes. if you're on the shorter side, vis is an issue. aftermarket seat (recaros) height is also an issue. while many are looking to lower their seats for more helmet room, i needed to raise mine to see the over the freakin' dash.

as for the 'cali' thing, i think it's probably a 'racing' thing. most notably stock cars. i was always told the gauges- all of them- are turned so the ideal pin position is straight up so at very quick glance, you could tell if everything was 'in the green'. to adjust them in a street car is, well...silly. if you don't have the time to scan the gauges while driving to work- then you're probably going a bit quick. -or being chased by the cops, which IS a 'cali' thing.

Quick Reply: wiper question