Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To All Newer Members of the 993 Board...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:11 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

DIY = destroy it yourself
Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Kelly.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:41 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
DIY = destroy it yourself
That's me...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

While on my, Sunny Sunday Drive yesterday, we missed the exit and had to, "truck on down", a little further to get off at, "993 Porsche Plaza",. Not bad here,. We liked the sound of the enthusiasm, the smell of the passion, and the taste of dedication!!.. Allow me please,. My name is "Alpina" , I’m from, "964 Porsche Central Park",. My credentials are listed below,. It’s super to meet some of my younger, Brothers and Sisters,. We’ve all come such a long way from Zuffenhausen, to finally meet up with each other here at Rennlist.com,. It’s great being, One Family to the name Porsche!!.. Perhaps our, "Air-Cooled Generation", makes it even that much more special,. Marc, the Man that takes care of me often says,. "Alpina, our love affair will last forever because neither one of us will ever be reproduced again,. Our production lines stopped already many years ago, but together we’ll make it,. Today, we are joined together as one,. You as an," Undomesticated Sports Car", and me as a, "Survivor of Today's Domesticated World"..... Wow!!.. Talk about being in good hands, I hope your Owners, are as good to you, because without them, you know where the next stop is!!.. I for one do not want to come back as a refrigerator, or sardine can!!!!....
Marc and his Family, Cooky and I dropped off a Christmas Card for you, 911/ 993’ ers, yesterday while here at, 993 Porsche Plaza, it’s from us to you, with our love,.. Hey, is there a garage to rent around here.....Alpina.

PS. Kelly, I Like your style, and outlook on Porsche 911/ 993, it’s nice to meet such a close Family...
PSS. Pedro thanks for your support, you define,.. What it's all about!!.. Marc.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:07 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I think Kelly should be nominated for a life time membership.
Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

I'll drink to that! Thanks for the warm welcome. It's nice to know I'm not the only one obsessed with these cars!
Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lot's of good info there and I agree wholeheartedly will all of it. However, here are a few of my observations after a few months of reading. Some are tongue in cheek, others, well...

Rennlist lives in a time warp, cut off from the rest of the internet. You can post a picture, video or link here that was discussed on other forums months or years ago, that was e-mailed by my mother-in-law to her entire address book, that has several pages on snopes devoted to it, without any fear of getting wtlw or similar flaming response. Many Rennlist members don’t know what snopes or wtlw means.

Corollary to the first point, many Rennlist members are not overly facile with posting conventions common to most message boards. Post and respond on Rennlist like you talk to your grandfather, or your boss. Don’t assume that the tone and rhythm of voice used elsewhere on the web will work here.

Many Rennlist members are, quite frankly, riceboys. You see phrases like “lowered to just the right stance” and discussions of wings and 19” wheels here just as often as on a Honda or VW forum. The dark secret of many Porsche owners is that, performance and racing credentials aside, they love their cars for the looks more than anything. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Some of the most prolific posters are the most helpful. One of the most prolific posters is the least helpful.

Like most well managed web forums, Rennlist has moderators. It also has their downscale cousins: “hall monitors” who will chastise you for various real and imagined transgressions.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:39 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Lol, for somebody with only 110 posts, Jon you sure hit the nail on the head!

IMHO your comments apply mainly to the 993 Technical Forum. The other forums (OT, 944, 928) are very different, with a much younger crowd who seem to be both more tolerant and more argumentative.

The 993 Technical Forum has always been pretty protective about maintaining its norms. They don't want to see the place turn into a ricer haven or a crack den for street racers, or similar things you might see on younger car forums. i.e. things are usually kept more technical (duh). I think the exodus several months ago was the old guard clashing with guys who cared primarily about socializing. I think.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:52 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Hi kelly well put!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
Is it just me? Or are words like "riceboy" and "ricer" derogatory?
No, just highly insensitive, which is why I started the post to begin with... sometimes you just can't win for trying.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by kkim
No, just highly insensitive, which is why I started the post to begin with... sometimes you just can't win for trying.
Kelly,

You can't win them all....

.... and to Jon, yes, I do have a ricer...
Old 12-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

No why would someone take a Welcome thread and use it to insult people?? "Riceboy Indeed!"
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Gemba
Intermediate

kelly: Thanks for taking the time for a well thought out post. I have spent several days pondering a response. I will admit that AT FIRST, I thought the near constant mantra of Search and Join were a PITA...funny how a few days can change that..I forced myself to use search - and learned a TON more about the car I bought a month ago. I needed a month on Rennlist to know what to search for..The PO posted on this board. I think I have RSR exhaust and RIAL Imola race wheels, while I need to "really" see, for now I think I know more. I will join.
What is this exodus thing?
Thanks
Jim
Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kelly, you are a class act and your views have always been thoughtful and respectful towards everyone on this forum., The added plus of your knowledge and experience of the 993 is just the icing on the cake! A sincere thank you.
Chris
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no clue what snopes or wtlw mean. I'll just leave it at that.

Quick Reply: To All Newer Members of the 993 Board...