993 Forum 1995-1998

Power Seat Journey

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Seat Journey

I have searched for and read posts re: power seats being locked up. It seems that most address the stuck front to rear adjustment, the rodeo fix, etc. I have the other type of power seats with two separate adjustment switches and manual lever adjustment for front to rear.

The driver side power adjustments are balky and work sometimes, but not others. Since I am the only person who drives the car I have the seat set the way I like it and leave it alone.

The passenger seat will not work at all. Operating one switch in one direction causes a faint hum but no movement, no sound or movement in the other direction. The other switch appears to try to move a bracket/lever in the front of the seat but no seat movement.

So the questions:

- Is it logical to assume that the flexible drive shafts are stripped/broken as is the case in most of the 8 way seat problems?
- Should I have these replacement shafts in hand before removing the seat for further inspection/repair, or are there options to repair without parts?
- Any other suggestions for problem determination?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the DIY section of www.p-car.com
There is a power seat article.
"How to replace a broken power seat drive shaft"
Old 12-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I bought my car the passenger seat would not move and I thought it was due to a broken seat drive shaft. I don't remember exactly what was loose but when I started looking at all the cable/wire connections to the seat motor I found that something had worked its way loose. If you have not already done it, I would check all of the connections to see if that fixes the issue.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:32 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

If you hear a hum but no movement - look to the shafts. Just take the plastic covers off and see what you have!

Tom
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tvurt
If you hear a hum but no movement - look to the shafts. Just take the plastic covers off and see what you have!

Tom
And while you're down there, check to see that something has not fallen into the rails preventing the sliders from moving. IIRC, coins will fit in there perfectly and jam it.

Good luck... let us know what you find.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Default 4 way power seat, not 8 way

Craig, already checked out Robin's site and that DIY, but remember this is not the seat that has power front to back adjust, on this seat that adjustment is the manual lever.

The questions are more specifically about the other power adjustments and their drive shafts. It appears that you have to remove the seat to test or replace them and I was looking for advice for that process.

Tim, I did find one lose connection so that now both switches produce a hum or visible (partial) movement of the mechanism under the seat so I assume the connections are Ok now.

So has anyone actually replaced the other (not front to back) drive shafts?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:23 PM
C H
Instructor

I have the sports seats like you. My cables and motors were siezed. I took them apart, cleaned and lubricated them up and they all work. It is probably the bushing near the gearbox. Three of my motors were sized and two cables. It is alot of work and very time consuming, but it didn't cost any money.

Quick Reply: Power Seat Journey