cleaned ISV valve. now car stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
Interesting... Mind sharing where you got that bit of information as I have never heard of that before.
Hey Kelly!
Bosch gives a general warning on their website, I've also seen some stronger warnings in auto repair manuals. The Toyota dealer repair manuals for the MY2002 Tundra ruled out anything with silicone; gaskets, adhesives, lubricants, etc. I think the safe thing to assume is that any product containing silicone that is O2 sensor safe will advertise it on the packaging. Some cars have even been recalled because of silicone contamination (MY2000 VW Jetta, etc.)
Old 11-27-2005, 02:38 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Hey Kelly!
Bosch gives a general warning on their website, I've also seen some stronger warnings in auto repair manuals. The Toyota dealer repair manuals for the MY2002 Tundra ruled out anything with silicone; gaskets, adhesives, lubricants, etc. I think the safe thing to assume is that any product containing silicone that is O2 sensor safe will advertise it on the packaging. Some cars have even been recalled because of silicone contamination (MY2000 VW Jetta, etc.)
Jason,

I'll do a bit more research in some of my other car manuals and see if it verifies the info on the Bosch site. I've never heard of this potential downside of silicone and O2 sensors... thank you for the heads up.

Hope the weather has not turned for you yet and are able to enjoy some late days in your Pcar.

Mahalo
Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 AM
shafo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up filling the isv with brake fluid for a bit, then persuaded the vane free with a screwdriver. It was locked pretty good. Thanks for the help guys, and for the email Kelly.

I'm assuming she won't turn off now, we'll see...
Old 11-28-2005, 01:25 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

B-

Mind sharing how many miles and what year your car is? Obviously, your ISV cleaning is long overdue. Others that have similar mileage may benefit knowing if they should check theirs based on your car.

Good to hear you got things worked out. Hope the vane inside moves freely now.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:52 AM
shafo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm approaching 60k and it was definately overdue. Judging from the orientation of the clamps, it'd never been taken off before.

Quick Reply: cleaned ISV valve. now car stalls