Sponsored by:

immobilised!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 03:37 AM
indian porker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default immobilised!

guys, anyone with a '95 european model 993 with separate engine & immobiliser keys, you've got to help. What do you do if the immobiliser fails and makes the ignition inoperative? i.e., normal procedure for starting the car is immobiliser key insert into dashboard slot, remove, immobiliser beeps to confirm deactivation, insert engine key into ignition, crank and presto! NOW, AS OF YESTERDAY, insert immobiliser key, no beep , insert engine key an dcrank,, NO CRANK. All other pre-ignition electricals fine such as warning light, oil cooler fan ( mine is to set to run always ).
Checked the FAQ's, nothing on this.

From a desperate man whose car has banished him from using her!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this a UK car?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Have you ever replaced the key fob battery?

Andreas
Old 11-22-2005, 01:09 PM
indian porker
Advanced

Yes, this is a UK supplied car but currrently in India. Have replaced the key fob battery ( a while ago ) but this engine key only has a built-in light. The immobiliser key is separate.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Sounds like a PA-1000 or PA-2000 system that was specific to the UK market. Try contacting the original manufacturer, Hamilton and Palmer, http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/
Old 11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
indian porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by phelix
Sounds like a PA-1000 or PA-2000 system that was specific to the UK market. Try contacting the original manufacturer, Hamilton and Palmer, http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/
Thanks, will do. Do you think its definitely the immobilizer? Starter motor perhaps? Are they known to just stop without prior warnings? I remember a while ago my rear wing brake light had failed which did not allow me to start the car...could it be something else this simple?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by indian porker
Do you think its definitely the immobilizer? Starter motor perhaps? Are they known to just stop without prior warnings?
Isn't there an LED that indicates the state of the immobiliser? Has its behaviour changed?

Originally Posted by indian porker
I remember a while ago my rear wing brake light had failed which did not allow me to start the car...could it be something else this simple?
How on earth did that affect the ability to start the car?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 AM
indian porker
Advanced

No specific LED for the immobilizer other than the door top LED's which are blinking twice. I could not find any grounding wires of either the stereo or the green alarm wire for the stereo grounded anywhere behind the cage as suggested in another earlier thread. The immobilizer has a separate key which after inserting into a specific dash slot, emits a beep which confirms de-activation. This actually stopped a few months ago but the car always started after inserting the immobilizer key.

The rear wing has a break light, the wire of which had shorted while fixing the wing. This caused the car to not allow engagement out of P gear on the tiptronic ( sorry, it did not mean the car did not start, should have been clearer ).

Thanks for your help
Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this problem; it seemed that the contacts on the "chip/key/thing" had worn down through years of pushing it into the dash. With the contacts work down it wasn't being read properly, I used the spare which was like new and it was ok.

The replacement chip-thing was about £20 from the OPC.

Hope it helps.

Incidentally, quite separately my beeper stopped working for some unknown reason, but you should still hear a click, which I think comes from the DME under the passengers seat, when the immobilizer disengages.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 AM
SJB993
Pro

Hi Gabi,

The casings on both my "key/chip/things" for the immobiliser have been cracked by the previous owner, and so both are held together with sticky tape. When you got you new one, did the OPC program it for you?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:38 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

They took mine off me took for a minute or two, I'm not sure what they did, they must have read it somehow, and them ordered me another one within a day or two. I assume that, like the door locks, a chasis number will give porsche enough info to make you another.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:32 AM
indian porker
Advanced

Hi Gabi,

Tried that already ; my car's first owner had lost the second set so had two new chips made immediately last year by an OPC and they are still like new. You're absolutely right - you can hear a slight click so maybe its the starter motor. Do you know where it is? Is there anything else to check for starting? Has a new DME relay just installed a few weeks ago.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2005, 08:01 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure where the starter motor is, someone else will have to chime in on that one, but from what I've experienced in my car the click is the drive block disengaging.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:20 AM
indian porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
I'm not sure where the starter motor is, someone else will have to chime in on that one, but from what I've experienced in my car the click is the drive block disengaging.
Is you click the same as it always was? I may be imagining this but my click ( after the beep stopped a while ago ) is not as noticeable as it was. Perhaps the drive block is not disengaging.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:44 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I have posted on the other thread, but it may be worth checking the wires on the bottom of the fuse box board. Mine came loose a while ago and the car was misfiring and konking out, it may be that. Also get another DME relay to keep as a spare and try that, it may be that your new DME relay is defective in some way.

If you were experienceing eratic starting behaviour previously, then it seems to me more likely that it is not the drive block. Especially if you are hearing the click, I could be wrong but check just in case. I am not sure how or why the beep started working again, my garage did a lot of work and had the engine out for another reason, when they had finished the beep was working again.

Quick Reply: immobilised!