Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Best Way To Mod. Airbox..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM
FLB03TT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Best Way To Mod. Airbox..

Just received used airbox cover off Ebay. I have researched the various ways to mod. cover- 7 large holes, 100 small holes (following the Motorsound hole outline on interior of cover) or cut the entire top of the cover away (i.e. homebrew Fabspeed cover.) What to you guys think ?? My car is a '96 C2 w/ newly installed RSR. I want to complement the RSR with a little more growl. BTW- I live in the Denver area @ 7200 feet.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:51 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try drilling the holes 1st. If it's not enough sound for you then you can always cut the whole thing open.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:52 PM
David R
Instructor

I have drilled as many 1" holes as I could fit in the area marked off for the motorsound modification. My friend has a 993 with motorsound cover and they sound the same so...... it would seem wise to go for the easy option of 7 or so 1" holes rather than 100 holes that will be a real pain to drill.

I'm not a fan of the complete cutaway option as it looks like you could dampen the air filter when washing / hosing the car. It could very well be louder tho'

David.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

I also bought a used cover off of Ebay. I cut away the top of the cover, so it looks like the Fabspeed air box cover. Can't say it really is any louder than the stock cover (motorsound package). I have not had any problems thus far with the filter getting wet while washing the car, but I also don't stand there hosing the rear deck either.

Good Luck
Michael
Old 11-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

I have RSR's and my airbox has the entire side cut out. Never had any water issues on the air filter and it sounds awesome. Much more of a growl then those little holes. Very pleased. I would assume you have your stock cover so you really can't go wrong. Like stated above, you can always start small and go larger for more growl !
Old 11-21-2005, 04:14 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have cut my cover like the fabspeed one and can say it is louder than the stock uncut cover. When I started playing with it, I drilled 3/4" holes, then more holes, then cut the lid completely open. The larger the opening, the louder the sound.

I am concerned about the paper element getting wet when I wash the engine, so I put the stock uncut cover back on when it comes time to wash it. I have no concerns about the air filter getting wet when washing the car, though, and have not had problems.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut it completely away ... takes less time than drilling and you will have better results ...
Old 11-21-2005, 04:42 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 691 Likes on 491 Posts

I drilled 2 inch holes and as many as I could. That was the hole saw bit I had handy. I wil tell you that I drilled the box, started the car and blipped the throttle to about 3k rpm from outside the car...thought to myself that it didnt really sound much different.

I loaded the car onto the trailer and headed to a DE at the Glen forgetting about the drilled box. So out I go onto the track, warming up the oil I get through the toe of the boot and work the engine up to 5k rpm and let me tell you I was checking my mirrors like crazy wondering where the car was that was making all the noise. Wow! What a difference at highter RPM....it took me a bit to get used to it but I love it know.

Jamie
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the 1" hole trick, but did every bit of the flat area I could except where I would have been drilling into or behind the intake throught. It sounds great, and I can't see it being much louder in any way.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:33 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

I cut away the whole thing (fabspeed style) and have had no problems with the filter getting wet. Better sound than stock and good SOTP feel. Also looks great when you open the hatch.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 PM
flyenby
Instructor

Has anybody used a motorsound air box cover with the "snorkel'' that is used on a car with a turbo tail?? Just wonder if it changes the sound.......Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the motorsound box, got a stock box and cut the entire side off. The modded stock box is clearly louder. No problems with moisture.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut it open and let it roar! Never a problem with moisture in 4 years here.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Best Way To Mod. Airbox..