Sponsored by:

Transmission Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 AM
mrdraco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Transmission Seal Leak

After 2 days at Infineon I drove the 993 back to LA. Car ran great at the track and all the way home.

The next morning I found the pool of oil under the engine tray show in the pic. The shop determined that the oil was coming from the transmission seal. The LWF/Clutch install only has 18k miles.

I may just have a new clutch put in as the tranny will have to come out for the new seal and I don't trust the install. The hydraulic line to the clutch had a loop in it which we already fixed. I think the guy who did the work on this car was an idiot.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2005, 07:33 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Could be the rear main seal, too ... is there a way to differentiate gear oil from engine oil?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:43 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good thing that you documented the oil leak with the pic. That can help a lot to determine what kind of a leak you have.

Any chance you could take a picture of the underneath of the car? That would help even more.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
mrdraco
Advanced

Didn't get any pictures underneath. The engine tray had to come off to see the oil around the front seal (flywheel seal?). The pool of oil was where the oil was collecting and draining from the engine tray, so that wasn't very informative.

The car is at the shop now. They wouldn't let me drive it home
Old 11-21-2005, 07:11 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdraco
Didn't get any pictures underneath. The engine tray had to come off to see the oil around the front seal (flywheel seal?).
On the Flywheel side of the engine you have rear main seal (RMS)

and the front main seal is on the fan side

Originally Posted by mrdraco
The car is at the shop now. They wouldn't let me drive it home
Oil will eventually works its way past the flywheel and contaminate your clutch disc which adds a couple hundred dollars onto the repair bill so probably a good idea.

Originally Posted by vjd3
is there a way to differentiate gear oil from engine oil?
If your gear lube is Mobil-1 it is nearly the same color and transparency as gasoline. The stuff also has a really unique smell that you will notice right away.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:48 PM
mrdraco
Advanced

The oil was around the RMS then.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:58 PM
mrdraco
Advanced

Default Update

Got my car back today, quick turnaround. Clutch was OK; they replaced a few minor parts.

Most of the $1,800(OUCH) total was labor. That's gonna set back my upgrade plans a bit.

The clutch feels better now. Shifting is a little smoother and I no longer have a problem getting out of gear under load. Looks like there had been a problem for a while and track driving brought it out.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:02 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

$1800 for a C2?? Well I guess if you want to charge up the labor bill by spending an extra few hours by dropping the motor, and then do an alignment because you removed the suspension cross member to drop the engine then I can see how you get it that figure. Last C2 LWF kit I did took about 5 hours, and that included doing the RMS.

Quick Reply: Transmission Seal Leak