Sponsored by:

Alarm flash output?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:15 PM
chet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm flash output?

I added remote keyless entry to my car this afternoon using info posted here, and it was very helpful. I want to add flashing turn signals on setting the alarm, and have found the wires that are supposed to go to the turn signals. My problem is, I see where the instructions say to split the flash output of the alarm into two, but I don’t know what the flash output of the alarm is (what color wire coming from where).

Is there somebody who has done this and can help me out on that.

Thanks,
Chet

PS I didn't have the yellow 01, or the green 02, but my gray 03 controller seems to have the same color wires as the green 02 instructions. At least, that's the way I hooked it up and the remote is locking and unlocking the doors.

PPS I would like it to make a noise when I set the alarm. A previous car remote was originally set for light flash only, and when the remote started getting eratic, I wasn't always sure whether it had set or not. Does anybody have information on hooking in the horn (or something less obnoxious).
Old 11-22-2005, 02:23 PM
chet
Instructor

By the way, I have the factory alarm, not an aftermarket alarm. Otherwise I guess I might have some info on the alarm wiring. If nobody with experience adding remote keyless entry is watching the board right now, does anybody have a wiring diagram that might help. And I say might, because I'm not sure I would actually understand a wiring diagram without someone talking me through it in non-electrician speak.
Thanks,
Chet
Old 11-22-2005, 04:05 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did your forum search also include the 964 Forum by any chance?

I recently added an aftermarket keyless entry to my '93 964 using the information found in the 964 and 993 forums, as well as help from other members. I ginned up a crude .pdf schematic found at the bottom of the thread found here,

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/226118-keyless-entry-for-90-c4.html

and also included some other links that I found helpful.

I am not certain whether my experience with my 00 alarm module will help at all with your 03, but perhaps the links included to the "standard" wire color codes may be useful. I chose not to have the horn sound, but these resources may also hold somes clues for this.

Have fun with your projects.

Mike
'93 C2
'72T
Old 11-22-2005, 04:11 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Chet,

Couple of things, kinda releavnt to my install.

1) The light flash on Set/unset can be performed by re-programming the factory alarm controller. You need a Hammer to do this though... when the remote locks or unlocks, then the system flashes automatically. No need for additional diodes and extra wires.

2) On my install, I doubled the output from the add-on alarm system horn to the factory alarm horn. It double beeps on set/clear along with the lights. I'lll look up the wiring info when I get home

Some questions though.

What year model do you have?
What remote (or alarm) system have you added?
Does the install show info on the alarm output? i.e. is it a positive switched output and the external horn is grounded.

I'll try and help as much as I can.

Clive.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM
chet
Instructor

Thanks guys,

Mike
It looks like your remote wiring included wires for flashing lights or horn honk. I bought the sale remote for 19.99 from JC Whitney, Cheetah Model KE1. It has wires for door lock and unlock, and trunk release, but none of the ten wires in the remote harness is for light flash or horn honk output. I am hoping that my existing factory alarm has something that can be hooked up to give me the flash or honk confirmation.

Clive
My car is a 95. It doesn't have the immobiliser and didn't have remote entry. The ten wire harness in my Cheetah KE1 remote had the same color scheme as mentioned in the remote door lock/unlock installation thread. It is remote entry only, and doesn't have any wires that say anything about an alarm. I only needed to use 5 of those wires: white polarity and black ground to ground, red 12v to red from the black connector, green unlock to green/white unlock and yellow lock to blue/white lock from the yellow connector. All of that was successful in allowing the remote to lock and unlock the car, including the setting and disarming of the alarm.
I don't have access to a hammer, but now I have a new question. If my factory alarm has an output to flash the lights or honk the horn, but it isn't programmed to send that signal, does that mean that even if I find the right wire to tap into nothing is going to happen. Going to the dealer to get it programmed sort of defeats the sense of accomplishment in a cheap diy.
Thanks
Chet
Old 11-22-2005, 06:21 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Chet,

Sounds like a good clean and simple install! Congrats.

The only thing you might manage to get is the lights to flash. If the keyless unit (and I looked online for an install manual and couln't find one) has not ability to drive lights or an external horn, then you're out of luck.

The Porsche alarm module can be programmed for the lights to flash (even on some of the 95 models). The factory remote keyless uses the same alarm module (02) as models without remote entry.

Not sure if I have an extra alarm unit in tha garage or not. If I do, I could be persuaded to "exchange" your's with a re-programmed unit perhaps?
Then you'd at least get light flash confirmation of locking. That's all the factory installs have anyway.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 PM
chet
Instructor

Clive,
I think I'm just going to pat myself on the back for getting the remote to work and forget about confirmation with the lights. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:09 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

No problem!

Quick Reply: Alarm flash output?