Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam cleanout

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

It will smoke like crazy in the beginning. I always have someone sit in the car and elevate idle, say 1500rpm + to keep it from stalling. If you don't do that, you can open the spray nozzle a bit too much and the engine stalls out.
After the initial real bad smoke, the exhaust will clear and towards the end, I could barely detect any smoke, even though I was still spraying the Seafoam in.
I've done it more then once and on different cars too, always the same symptoms. I did it at night and try to do it on a windy day. I filled out our col-de-sac with a marine layer full of smoke once and it seemed to stick forever. I was almost embarrased. Looked cool though.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:02 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love it if Steve or VB would chime in on this thread...
Old 03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
I have been told that plain old water will work too if used in very small amounts - but that it might dislodge the valve deposits in larger chunks and potentially clog the cat. Comments???
Have you ever taken apart a water cooled engine with a blown head gasket? The pistons that are affected are super clean, almost polished from the water/coolant.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
Marlon
Can you post a pic of the vacuum location?
Ron
I'll have to do it tonight. But basically there are 2 or 3 vacum fittings on top the center of the intake plenum. A couple small diameter ones and a large one. They are situated just below the weird looking hose that runs from the middle of the plenum and connects to the lower fitting of the ISV. The vacum fitting I used looks like a 5/16's ID hose that is band-clamped to it's brass fitting. You can merely pull up on the hose at the band clamp and it will slide off - but it is snug. The band clamp remains intact and when you slide it back on, the hose will maintain vacum. It's the biggest, most conspicuous vacum fitting on top the plenum - you literally cannot miss it.

BTW: I did not have anybody in the car to maintain a high rpm - just pour it in slowly, the car will not stall.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carbon cleaner

i think any product if used excessively might not be so good, i mean if you have heavy deposits in your engine and you are running the stock cats, or any cats for that manner you risk clogging it up. especially if you have a good quality carbon remover. i used some BG 44k which is professional stuff not avalable off the stelf, in my wifes car, not a porsche and after a tank of gas we got an engine light, thank GOD!!!!!! it was covered under warranty, we had 73000 miles and the cat was covered for 75000 miles, a definate blessing whew. it was clogged with excessive carbon.

i think that why the stuff they sell on the shelve is not to strong and only recommended every so many thousand miles. made to remove slowly over time, just a guess.

i think if you wanted to be safe and had strong stuff would be to run a cat by pass till after the treatment. i am talking about the real strong stuff. they always say safe for the cat, usally, but the cat is not going to break down a whole/excessive bunch of carbon. have you ever looked inside the end of a cat, very small holes. its just my opinion.

if you ever have a chance go to BG website and they show a piston covered in carbon sitting in fluid over night and it came off with light paint brush. very stong stuff and might be good for some one overhauling an engine that does not want to bead blast.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where does one acquire this seafoam schtuff ?

Peter R.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default BG product

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html
Old 03-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
So where does one acquire this seafoam schtuff ?

Peter R.
Most any auto parts supply store chain has it - about 9 bucks a can. I got mine at Advance Auto.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

For those less daring than the SF directly into the intakes, Ive added seafoam in the gas - 1 can/tank. Ive noticed better idle after treatment and also the exhuast smells different after 30 miles or so. Put into the tank, drive 30-50 miles then let sit overnight, run car as normal.

On my other cars Ive added it to the intakes at just enough rate to keep motor running. When the can is about 3/4 done, Ill add an amount that stalls the motor. Let sit for 5 minutes and then start her up and finish the can. Never tried it to the p-car, but probably be ok since you guys are adding to the intakes now with no problem. In the past, Ive only added to gas but its really diluted at that point....

Guy at Autozone turned me onto SF about 3 years ago and I noticed a big difference on all my cars (all >70k miles) with first treatment. Never saw the big gains since, but then Ill do a treatment every 5-10k miles....
Old 03-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is my understanding, from information from someone who works for BG that BG44 is Techron. BG developed Techron for Chevron and the agreement let BG sell it under their own name.

Quick Reply: Seafoam cleanout