Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early Christmas Present...getting an education!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Early Christmas Present...getting an education!

Well I got my early Christmas present today....I am attending Bruce Anderson's engine rebuilding class December 6th-9th! Flights, hotel, car are all booked and Bruce has confirmed I am all registered...this sounds like a lot of fun and will give me the background if I DIY my much-needed rebuild. Even if I don't DIY its does not matter...I will know what to hassle the mechanic!

I am sure looking forward to 4 days of 911 engine immersion!

Any other Rennlisters catching this course?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-14-2005, 10:49 AM
kmatts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, can you post a link to the course? VERY curious about this.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:52 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here - I'd love to know more.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Sure, check out www.911handbook.com. They have been doing these courses for almost 20 years and the people who have been on them told me that they are pretty good. Here is and edited blurb that Bruce sends you about the courses.

Cheers,

Mike

-----------------------------------------
Thank you for your interest in our Porsche® Technical Training classes. We are currently offering a four day seminar on the 911 engine, a two day transmission class and one day tune-up seminars for the 911. Our courses are informative, interesting, and entertaining and they are intended for anyone who really wants to know about all of the inner workings of their Porsche. The courses are tailored to be valuable for students ranging from the enthusiast, who just want to know all there is to know about their Porsche, to technicians who are already in the Porsche business. The content of our classes can range from stock to modified depending upon where the interest of the class is. We try to respond to all of the class questions.

Jerry Woods and I originally started these courses in May 1986 with the 911 engine overhaul course. The course was such a success that we have continued to expand the program to include tune-up classes and the transmission overhaul class. We will continue to expand this program in the future so please contact us to see if we offer the course you need or suggest adding it if we don't.

The following is the outline for a typical 911 engine overhaul course:

• OVERVIEW
• EVOLUTION OF 911 ENGINE
• 911 ENGINE MODIFICATIONS
• DISASSEMBLY AND INSPECTION
• RECOMMENDED CLEANING METHODS
• COMPONENT BY COMPONENT EVALUATION
• EVALUATION OF AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MACHINING REQUIRED
• ORGANIZING WORK FLOW
• PARTS AND MATERIALS NEEDED FOR REBUILD
• ASSEMBLY PROCEDURE
• SUMMARY AND INFORMAL QUESTION AND ANSWER PERIOD

ENGINE OVERHAUL CLASSES
These classes offer a thorough, comprehensive, hands-on look at all stages of engine disassembly and overhaul, combined with a historical overview of evolutionary as well as high-performance developments.
During the disassembly a component by component inspection will be performed and each part will be evaluated. The benefits of updates will also be discussed as well as cleaning and machining procedure recommendations. Time will be spent suggesting methods for work flow organization, as well as how to acquire the necessary parts, materials, tools and literature to make your engine overhaul easy and efficient.

TUNE-UP CLASSES
The Tune-up class is great follow up to our engine overhaul courses (but not a requirement) These classes provide more than just tune-up information and include information on complete maintenance of Porsches. This is an excellent opportunity for you to develop and improve the skills, techniques, and knowledge required to perform the routine maintenance your Porsche requires. A complete step-by-step service will be demonstrated during each class with the instructor covering standard maintenance procedures such as valve adjustments, oil changes, suspension inspection and maintenance and brake maintenance. You will be given tips on what to watch for during the life of your Porsche, and tips on the proper parts and tools needed.

TRANSMISSION CLASSES
Our transmission class begins with a general overview of all Porsche transmissions, we will then focus on the specific transmissions and present their disassembly, inspection, and overhaul in much the same way we do our engine overhaul class.

Plenty of time will be allowed during each of these classes for discussion and question answering. The size of each class is limited so that we can tailor the classes to the attending students, so we suggest that you register early.

911 Overhaul Class Dec 6-9, 2005 ... $600
911 Tune-up class Dec 10, 2005... $150

Please check the web-site for future classes: www.911handbook.com

The courses will be held at Jerry Woods Enterprises in Campbell, California and will start at 9:00 AM and last until about 5:00 PM. depending on the number of questions.

We try to have between ten and fifteen people in each of our classes, we have found that the interaction of a class that size works best for us.

We provide a class handbook with each of the courses. We have not done any video tapes yet, but we have plans for tapes for some classes in the future. Ee will permit you to tape the audio portion of our class, but we do not permit videotaping. We will provide your lunch and beverages.

-----------------

Quick Reply: Early Christmas Present...getting an education!