DE experience-You can't do too many safety mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 04:51 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Kary,

I have the materials from the PCA national instructors course that was done at Thunderhill earlier this year. Let me know if you would like a copy.
Yes, I would appreciate it if you could send it or anyone else who has these materials and can send it.

Please send to kary@group9motorsports.com

Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
Yes, I would appreciate it if you could send it or anyone else who has these materials and can send it.

Please send to kary@group9motorsports.com

Thanks!!

Kary, I found an electronic copy and just sent it along.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:26 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbone
Racer 944-
Agreed. I do feel, however, that I was ready to go solo. My instructor was great and I believe he signed me off for a good reason, regardless of quantity of DE's. He mentioned I might be ready for the next run group up in the next event. Outside of the one incident, I felt like I was following good lines, seeing the corner workers and the track, and I was passing more people than were passing me. I know, it's not a race and I'm not a racer, but it is a decent indicator. I take sole responsibilty, as unless the instructor is behind the wheel, I'm responsible. Needless to say, I drove about 60% on my solo runs as I don't have a death wish and my car is my daily driver. I fully recognize that I'm at the point of "a little knowledge is dangerous". I look forward to practicing on my own and grabbing instructors every now and then for further learning. After all, that's what's it's all about! Any other safety mods recommended (aside from more seat time, knowing your limits, etc.), such as arm restraints (Where do you get these?, I need my arms to be a physician!)?

Mark in Baltimore-amen to the instructor part. I thought I had some natural talent until I read your post. Impressive!

Bogwan-my mechanic mounted it, so I'm not sure about the PITA of doing it yourself. It's a DAS sport rollbar, and holes need to be drilled in the footwell in the rear underneath the carpet, the other parts bolt into the seat belt mounts and it really stiffens up the car. It can be removed and bolted back in if you need the rear seats. It comes bare metal and you need to paint or powdercoat it. Highly recommended.
I pressume from reading your post that you were at TWS, with my old region. Yes please do watch out, especially turn 7, when I used to run my cabrio initially I had a couple of excursions with a very notable one at turn 4
Like you I started with a cabrio and while in yellow group, the bug hit very very hard and I was lapping some pretty serious times around there, turning 2.06's at the time without any special stuff on my car, so at that point I thought I might get a proper coupe which I turned into racecar and moved forward. Even though I had a DAS bar and 6 point harnesses on the car, I felt that I reached a level of no return, I was getting faster , pushing myself and the car, while in a cabrio doing 135mph with no lift at turn 1 which scared the heck out of me. So in my view, if you continue down that path, soon suspension will follow, restraints etc at which point the cabrio still will not be suitable for it unless you invest in a full cage, race seats etc... The latest Club Racing rule from PCA states that cabrio's should be run only with the top down and full cage as the top has flexible parts which in a case of a rollover could potentially harm the driver. Now one say that DE is no racing, but speed does not differentiate between race and DE. As you have experienced, things can happen prety quick... I dont want to scare you, only offer you these thoughts. If you continue on the slippery slope you might as well save your money for a proper track car instead of spending a ton on a street car and then having to sell the stuff at a loss...

Finally when yo go back up there, seek out our Rennlist resident Schumacher, Robert H. He is an ex 993 owner and an excellent instructor.

Good luck and hopefully I will get to meet you in January or February at TWS!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:09 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Kary993,

You might want to contact Pete Tremper. He is the National PCA guy that has developed a national PCA Instructor's program. He will, I think, travel to your Region, and lead a course for all your instructors to achieve a National Instructor designation. He has lots of well thought through written material that is part of the course.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Kary993,

You might want to contact Pete Tremper. He is the National PCA guy that has developed a national PCA Instructor's program. He will, I think, travel to your Region, and lead a course for all your instructors to achieve a National Instructor designation. He has lots of well thought through written material that is part of the course.
Yes, Pete is the PCA National DE Director, and he led the team that put together the National Training. That is the material to which I was referring.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer944

Got to say though that I'm disappointed to hear that your instructor let things get this far and that he also signed you off in only your second DE... and after a major incident. DE is supposed to be fun and safe, and an instructor is supposed to keep you well within your limits and allow you to develop some track sense and experience before solo. Incidents with instructors aboard in novice groups always make me shake my head as they are entirely responsible for what happens out there with the student.

Cheers;
Eric

As a novice I've done 6 DE days last year (4 very wet, 2 dry). My philosophy is that it is better to NOT get signed off for as long as possible, while driving as best I can. I'd much rather be safe than sorry and have as many days under my belt with my instructor before going it alone. At only 6 days I am for sure learning more with him in the car than without. If I could have a more experienced driver with me for my entire DE career I think I would progress farther than without. My $0.02.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
As a novice I've done 6 DE days last year (4 very wet, 2 dry). My philosophy is that it is better to NOT get signed off for as long as possible, while driving as best I can. I'd much rather be safe than sorry and have as many days under my belt with my instructor before going it alone. At only 6 days I am for sure learning more with him in the car than without. If I could have a more experienced driver with me for my entire DE career I think I would progress farther than without. My $0.02.
Even after being signed off you can use instructors. It is not an all or nothing proposition. Keep using them even when you are signed off. I do and I have been doing this for many years.

Quick Reply: DE experience-You can't do too many safety mods