Sponsored by:

C4 vs C4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:16 AM
troutrover
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 vs C4S

I have a few newbie questions while I search for a 993. What are the difference between a C4 and C4S (are they the same for C2 vs C2S) It seems that some non Turbo, S models came with the Turbo Facia, is this correct?

How important is it to have the value guide warrenty work done on a 993 with 50,000+ miles?

I hear people talk about the "rennlist" must do list, is there an actual list floating around that I have not found.

Thanks in advance!
CB
Old 11-03-2005, 03:03 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to RL... Search is your friend! You can search the 993 board for almost anything and the must do list, which to me at least is news! LOL... I guess what everyone MUST do when they think to buy a 993 is a PPI( pre purchase inspection) at a reputable shop. You can find a ton of threads on this matter and possibly a good shop near you.

To the other question, the C4 and C4S use the same drivetrain, but the C4S has the Twin turbo body ( wide body) , brakes ( big reds), 18" wheels etc.

The C2S has the same drivetrain as the C2 but it has the Twin Turbo body without the big reds of the C4S.

They are limited somewhat in production so they are very desirable. As far as performance in concerned there is not much difference between the 2.

Good luck with the search, there are a ton of good stuff here.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:24 AM
troutrover
Advanced

Thanks for th info. I have seen at least two adds for 993's in the last few weeks that stated, "all the must do rennlist items have been done." I figured there was a list some where. i.e. value guides, wiring harness... I want to know what to look for.

Thanks
CB
Old 11-03-2005, 03:31 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

I think you'll find that the standard carrera 4 is more rare then the 4s. Otherwise - the performance different between the 2 is very small (if any).
Old 11-03-2005, 07:06 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the "must do" list refers to certain upgrades we are all prone to doing ... lowering the car, suspension upgrades, HID lighting and so forth.

There is no warranty repair on valve guides, they are prone to wearing in all model years. You may be thinking of the secondary air injection ports which get clogged partially as a result of the guides and cause the car to fail emissions. Fixing badly clogged SAI ports is an expensive proposition requiring a top end teardown (good time for new valve guides ;-) but people have had success cleaning the ports as preventative maintenance if they are not too far gone. All 993s have the SAI ports, but only the OBD2 96-98 cars will fail emissions if they are clogged, because the 95 cars are the simpler OBD1 and the computer does not check them. The clogged ports do not effect how the car runs, as they are only active on cold start for a minute or so to reduce emissions.

As Rich said, the "narrowbody" C4 (95-97) is a little harder to find than the widebody C4S (96-98). Keep in mind that the C4S commands a pretty significant premium over the narrowbody C4 and that the C4 and C4S are only available with the 6-speed transmission. However, you can only find a cabriolet as a narrowbody C4.

Good luck with your search, you came to the right place.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:56 PM
troutrover
Advanced

The seller is telling me this is a 1996 C4 (not C4S) and it is a coupe. Poor picture but it apears that the side skirt is not the same as the S. Is this correct?

CB
Attached Images  

Last edited by troutrover; 11-03-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

The C4 was available as a coupe. Visually it looks near identical to a regular Carrera 2, except:

- Brake calipers are titanium, not black
- Rear "Carrera 4" script is in silver, not black
- Corner lights are clear white
- Gearshift cap is titanium, not black plastic

I *think* the C4 coupe was only available in the US up until '95 (pre-Varioram?). In Europe the C4 coupe was available until the end of 993 production in 1998 as a Varioram model.

The C4 otherwise has the same body as the regular Carrera.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a very nice looking C4 you got there. The turbo front bumper with the scoops is a nice touch. Is that Arctic or Polar. Very nice looking indeed. Get it PPI'd and a reputable shop an you will be on your way. Where are you located? We could chime in with recommendations for shops if we know where you live.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:36 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Looks like clear turn signal lenses must be on the "RL must do list" too.

Quick Reply: C4 vs C4S