Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Turbo S Ducts simply for the looks, not for the cooling. Yes? No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Considering Turbo S Ducts simply for the looks, not for the cooling. Yes? No?

I like the looks of the Turbo S Ducts on the front of a 993, so I'd be buying them JUST for looks, not anything else really. Lame idea?

It seems they can be bought from BW Motorsports or this M A Shaw, but I haven't contacted them yet. Yes, I did a search and found some posts on this, but most people buy them for the cooling ability more so than just looks. Is it worth it if they're simply for the looks, and what's the best price I might find these days on these?

MA Shaw seems to be selling them for $369 a pair.

Then there's these from Performance Products:

But it says this when I plug in my car info!

"Brake Ducts 993 Turbo S Brake Ducts - There are no parts available for your 1996 911 (993) CARRERA 4S. You can select a different vehicle or search for a different product. Now you can have better road illumination (38-watt bulbs) and brake cooling. By simply replacing your fog lights with these Turbo S brake duct/projector lights. "

Uh, huh???

Also, I'm not going to install them myself, so how much should I expect my independent to charge me to install these - any idea? And then I'd have Euro Pros in Gaithersburg, MD paint them - any idea what's a fair figure for that?

After adding this up I'll end up with a total cost. What would you expect that to be? Call me lazy and shiftless if you want. I have no problem with that .

Thanks in advance,
Steve R
Old 11-01-2005, 01:24 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve,

I think that there are a few things you can do to make the front of your car a bit prettier, and the main improvement is removing the front bumperettes (a la euro style), using euro clear turn signal lenses, and then doing the "S" ducts. To my eye, I like the S ducts without any fog lamp at all... an even cleaner look.

This is a picture with the Ruf CTR front bumper, but the turn-signals and ducts are the same parts as yours.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2005, 02:08 AM
mrdraco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do look cool, especially with clear signals. I've discovered the ducts on my new 993 are only for show, don't have any plumbing. I'll probably run the duct work some day.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:19 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my ducts

I second Steve's opinion that a front end with clear corners, turbo s ducts, and sans bumperettes is a HUGE improvement (see mine below).

I bought the MA Shaw ducts and am very pleased with them... good quality fog light and great fitment. The painting should be very cheap and you should be able to do the install yourself (simple).

Good luck!
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going for a set of these myself this week, I like them, but do you competely loose all side (marker ) lights altoghther? I can see that they are not in th normal place, but was wondering if the fog laps somehow act as side lights?

Anyhow, excellent look and I should have it done in a wek or two.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll consider that other, considerably more expensive option you are suggesting, though I truly have no problem with my cute as a button little bumperettes . Besides, don't the bumperettes protect the front of my car a bit in parking situations?

Steve R
Old 11-01-2005, 10:16 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You get the best of all worlds with the Turbo S ducts. You open up 2 holes in the front bumper (at a high pressue area) for letting more air into the oil cooler and AC condensor. You also get a much better look. I paid $100 to get both of my ducts painted. MA Shaw uses the projector light which look really good and really completes the package.

Gabi - the ducts and lights for the Turbo S have no impact on your front corner lights.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:18 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve,

Go with the MAShaw ones. They have replaced the lame OEM light with one that actually works as a fog light. Then when you install it, hook the lights to the fog light wires and then the fog light **** will work th elights. If you don't do it this way the fog light **** won't work anything.

If you have any questions let me know, but I think I also posted a bunch of pics with my install a year or so ago. It is really easy, but just takes a little time to paint the ducts.

-Skip
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Bob, I wasn't refering to the indicators on the corner, I was refering to the small lights inside the fog lights on the standard fitting, the one that comes on with the first click of the light wheel. (I don't wish to hi-jack, sorry)
Old 11-01-2005, 10:23 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK, the MA Shaw ducts are made by BW so they are identical. I noticed improved oil cooling & AC performance at speed. Your shop should not charge you for more than one hour for the installation. If you want a perfect finish, expect some prep work on the fiberglass by the body shop before its painted.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I just received the same light-less ducts as Steve OFE from a guy named Mario off ofl ebay. I took a quick glance at them this morning and they seem well-made and decently finished, wiht only a very minor bit of sanding required.

Steve R, go for it. Even though they're not connected cooling your brakes, as Bob and Dan said, your AC and oil condensers will like the extra air.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:46 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Gabi,

The MA Shaw lights have a single connector which mates up to the "positioning" light circuit, not the fog light circuit. The lamps are on whenever the headlights are on, and the fog lamp switch is not used. It is not difficult to splice into the fog light connector instead of the positioning light connector, so you can use the fog light switch. You are correct, though... you lose one or the other... there is only one lamp and one connector on the MA Shaw ducts.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Interesting, I suppose that the Porsche Turbo S ones are the same units?

I suppose that would give me a spare switch for say... an oil cooling fan override!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Gabi,

Ahhhh... now you're getting clever. If I wasn't such a doofus, I'd wire up my-now-useless-fog (or now-useless rear-wiper) switch and do the same thing.

The factory S ducts also have a single lamp and connector... though I'm not sure which connector it matches.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

No connector on the wires. You have to splice them directly into the foglamp wiring.

Quick Reply: Considering Turbo S Ducts simply for the looks, not for the cooling. Yes? No?