Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Turbo S Ducts simply for the looks, not for the cooling. Yes? No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a brand new set of Turbo S ducts and clear euro turns for sale in the classifieds.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This past weekend I attempted to install the Turbo S Ducts I bought from Steve OFE (thanks!). They are the OEM ones from Gert with the positioning light. That light is utterly worthless compared with the fogs. However, I am having a problem b/c it looks like one of the wires on one of the ducts was spliced and wired to a different plug, which now does not fit any of the existing ones. I'll try to post a pic so you guys know what i'm talking about.

Also, has anyone been able to replace the positioning light to something brighter?

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:12 PM
c4sdave
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
Default turbo s ducts

I just installed a set that I bought from departstop. Good finish and quality with 37.5 bulbs. No connectors, did those myself no problem.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c4sdave
I just installed a set that I bought from departstop. Good finish and quality with 37.5 bulbs. No connectors, did those myself no problem.
Looks great Dave!

Did you plug the connector into the foglight receptacle or the parking light?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Gabi,

The MA Shaw lights have a single connector which mates up to the "positioning" light circuit, not the fog light circuit. The lamps are on whenever the headlights are on, and the fog lamp switch is not used. It is not difficult to splice into the fog light connector instead of the positioning light connector, so you can use the fog light switch. You are correct, though... you lose one or the other... there is only one lamp and one connector on the MA Shaw ducts.
I wired my Shaw duct lights to the fog harness, not the running light harness... to me, this is much more appropriate as I believe you should have the ability to cut the fog lights.

There is a "running light" (always on) in the clear turn dual filament bulb which satisfies the legal issue, plus I don't believe it is technically legal to operate a vehicle with the fogs always on (at least in California).

Just my $.02 but I believe the fogs should have the ability to be switched on/off.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:36 AM
c4sdave
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
Default turbo s ducts

Arwin:

I wired mine up to the driving light wires, but am probably going to change and wire to the fog switch as I'd prefer to have the option to turn on and off, regardless of whether the headlights are on or not.

Dave
Old 11-02-2005, 03:36 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good points guys, an interesting point about the wiring that I had almost not considdered.

In the UK our turning signals are off unless we switch them on repeat to turn. I think in The USA you have the turn signals on dimly when your lights are on don't you? In wich case you really don't need the "positioning lights" (or as we'd call them side lights) to be connected as opposed to the fog switch. Here I think it might be better to connect them to the side light connector.

Quick Reply: Considering Turbo S Ducts simply for the looks, not for the cooling. Yes? No?