Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Garage Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006 | 02:36 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

denver88carrera -

Well, it's been a few months since I posted this thread and the mats have worked out well so far. They have withstood the salt, snow, dirt, etc. from the winter. Typically, the water from snow melting will drain off the mats due to the slope of the cement. However, the mat that is deeper in the garage overlaps the one nearest the doors by a 1 1/2". At that overlap, the slope is not enough to completely drain the water that collects right at the overlap (upstream side). If there is enough water, it will flow over the overlap, but a little bit will remain. I have found that I need to take a broom every once in a while to broom the water past the overlap.

Like I said, the flooring itself is holding up very well to salty snow, oil, fluids, etc. I have a snowblower sitting on an extra piece of the flooring. It dripped oil for a while that collected on the extra piece of flooring. I was lazy and didn't get to wipe it up for about 2 months. Once I did wipe it up, there was no ill effects. I'll see how the extra piece fared in the spring when I wash out the garage and take a gentle cleaner to it.

One other thing to mention--I love how it is NOT slippery with water/moisture on it. With snow melting, etc., I have always had sure footing. Much better than many epoxy systems.

I have also used a floor jack and jack stands to lift the car (and to change a flat on my wife's cars a couple nights ago) and the flooring withstood it.

So far, so good. It sure makes it nice to lay on when getting under the car (I installed new Motorsound Chrome Exhaust Tips last night ).
Old 01-05-2007 | 10:49 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by InTheAir

The lights are incredibly easy to install and are well worth it. But make sure you get the cold weather ballasts or you may have NO light if the garage gets too cold.
Oh so very true. I did not realize there was a 'cold weather' ballast though. In my old house the lights would sometimes not want to light when it we below freezing outside (main garage had not heat). This is a great thread!!

I don't like the idea of the space under the race deck. I suspect that stuff would be great for trailers where stuff would be more likely to drain out from under the surface but... the idea of water, oils, anti-freeze etc. under the deck turns me off too.

I just put an offer in on a condo with a 2-car deep garage. Nothing like you guys have but I want to get it fixed up before I get too much stuff in my garage. Thought about linolum tiles but.. the tire turning and slippery issues might make that a non-starter.. :/
Old 01-05-2007 | 03:39 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

FotoV,

I have commercial linolium tiles in the single garage downstairs where the Porsche lives. The previous owner installed it. It is very dry underneath (the upstairs garage has a lot of moisture coming up from a spring or something).

The only time I had any trouble is when I had the A6 Audi in there and I turned the front wheels and a tile came lose. I turned it right back and it is back in place.

I think I am going to go with the mats at some point upstairs soon.

Cheers

Quick Reply: OT - Garage Makeover