Imagine Auto Billet 993 Lower Valve Covers Are Here

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer944
While I do like the look of the valve covers, and certainly the potential of the warping issue should indeed be corrected, are the 993 valve cover seals not rubber already?

Sure looked like it when I changed my last set...

Cheers;
Eric
Right. the issue on the 993s is the composite covers warping.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:15 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
These look great but for me I have never had a leak on these gaskets so I am not sure what the benefit really is? Are they lighter?
Stock valve covers are REALLY light, so I'd expect these would be heavier. I think it must be a bling-factor thing because AFAIK 993s don't have the same consistent valve cover problems as the older models.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Stock valve covers are REALLY light, so I'd expect these would be heavier. I think it must be a bling-factor thing because AFAIK 993s don't have the same consistent valve cover problems as the older models.
Really? Well, 993s that are driven hard and/or tracked often have the problem. I don't know any of my track friends with 993s that haven't had to replace at least one lower cover. I, and two friends, have one leaking cover now. They begin by seeping slightly, then eventually end up dripping on the exhaust, causing a bad smell in addition to making a mess.

I can't imagine what the "bling-factor" would be for a part that can't be seen very easily.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:40 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

In addition to hard track driving, another contribution to warping covers is heat soaking due to idling in traffic with the engine cover on.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good point Scott. I had forgotten that those things existed!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:56 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Really? Well, 993s that are driven hard and/or tracked often have the problem. I don't know any of my track friends with 993s that haven't had to replace at least one lower cover. I, and two friends, have one leaking cover now. They begin by seeping slightly, then eventually end up dripping on the exhaust, causing a bad smell in addition to making a mess.

I can't imagine what the "bling-factor" would be for a part that can't be seen very easily.
Bull, I'm not ignorant of valve cover leaking. I replaced all the leaking VC gaskets on my last 993 before it had ever been tracked. I tracked it heavily, never had any leakage. I track my current 993 heavily, with no leakage. I know plenty of people who track theirs heavily and don't have leakage.

My understanding is that the rubber gaskets start leaking over time, and that replacing the gaskets always solves the problem. Our VC's don't permanently warp like on older 911s, hence they don't typically need to be replaced. I guess I'm still not seeing why I should throw out my perfectly good VCs for alum. To get more "life' between gasket changes?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bull, I'm not ignorant of valve cover leaking. I replaced all the leaking VC gaskets on my last 993 before it had ever been tracked. I tracked it heavily, never had any leakage. I track my current 993 heavily, with no leakage. I know plenty of people who track theirs heavily and don't have leakage.

My understanding is that the rubber gaskets start leaking over time, and that replacing the gaskets always solves the problem. Our VC's don't permanently warp like on older 911s, hence they don't typically need to be replaced. I guess I'm still not seeing why I should throw out my perfectly good VCs for alum. To get more "life' between gasket changes?
At the shop, we see many that are measurably warped, and stay that way. I have never tried putting new gaskets on warped covers. Maybe it solves the leak for a period of time?????

Billet covers should solve your gasket leaking problem.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:53 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Bull]At the shop, we see many that are measurably warped, and stay that way. I have never tried putting new gaskets on warped covers. Maybe it solves the leak for a period of time?????

Nope..... Seen that movie and the only way to fix a leak with warped covers is to replace them.

I had the unfortunate experience with replacing the gaskets, re-assembling the engine and having them leak as if nothing had changed. I had to go back in and replace the covers. What a waste of time.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=Scott C]
At the shop, we see many that are measurably warped, and stay that way. I have never tried putting new gaskets on warped covers. Maybe it solves the leak for a period of time?????

Nope..... Seen that movie and the only way to fix a leak with warped covers is to replace them.

I had the unfortunate experience with replacing the gaskets, re-assembling the engine and having them leak as if nothing had changed. I had to go back in and replace the covers. What a waste of time.
Exactly what I would expect, and why I have never seen just the gasket replaced when the covers are measurably warped, and i haven't seen leakage when the covers aren't warped.

I guess TOE has had different experiences.......
Old 10-25-2005, 12:59 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

...Billet covers should solve your gasket leaking problem.
I agree, by the way. It just seems like overkill for the vast majority of us. However, if I had $300 burning a hole in my pocket...I'd do it. EDIT: Or if I found my VCs to be warped.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree, by the way. It just seems like overkill for the vast majority of us. However, if I had $300 burning a hole in my pocket...I'd do it. EDIT: Or if I found my VCs to be warped.
I think they just straighten back out during your winters!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:31 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome. So the price is for 2 lower valve covers with out the rubber? I know we have 4 covers, so was wondering if it is possible to do all 4? Do the lowers fit the uppers? I am very interested as I recently sprung another leak and it has to do with the low quality factory seals.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:43 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary,
The lowers and upper are different.

The lowers are much more prone to warping. This offer is for the lowers only AFAIK.

Scott
Old 10-25-2005, 02:00 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So far we are only offering the lowers, since that tends to be where the leaking problems come from. We are considering making uppers to match, we just have to find the time to sit down and get it done.....
Old 10-25-2005, 02:01 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh, and kit includes the 2 lower covers, the 2 gaskets, and all the nuts and washers.

Quick Reply: Imagine Auto Billet 993 Lower Valve Covers Are Here