Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dan, Mike,

I totally agree!

I (and I think lot of people) thought that at least for east coast this would be similar to Katrina which was Cat. 1 when here but boy this was totally differnet, hell of a lot stronger than Katrina!

I read that Hurricane Center measured only cat. 1 force sustained winds but that is very hard to believe since Katrina had cat. 1 winds and the damage was nowhere near as this, high risers have windows blown out, pretty much everyone has at least some roof tiles missing and ton of trees down where as after Katrina, you only saw some trees down etc.

This time I think 98% of FPL customers lost power, after Katrina it was 30-40% or something if I remember correctly, that already tells a lot (and further proof those damn power lines should be underground!)

Really glad to hear everyone still did ok.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:54 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wilma was a Cat3 and at someplaces a Cat4. NOAA and the News made a big mistake when they announced that it was only going to be a Cat1 after it enters.
We mesured 145 sustained at the airport with several tornadoes too. Most people never took Wilma as a serious storm because of the TV Forecasts. The last four days before the storm I noticed Home Depot and the Super Markets were not busy at all. After the storm there were 5+mile lives for gasoline and
thousands waiting for generators. There were no banks, no food, no power, cell sites were mostly down, no drinkable water unless boiled, no gas, no money unless you took some out before the storm, no credit cards accepted and on top of all that 7-7 curfew!
There was nothing good about the aftermath of a storm like Wilma.
Many people I know closed shop for good. Loads of businesses went under. Chris
Old 11-19-2005, 02:28 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't suppose this was anyone's daily driver, was it?

(I appologise in advance)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Hurricanes and P-cars...