993 Forum 1995-1998

Hurricanes and P-cars...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:20 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That's either a trampoline or the world's largest rear main seal.

Vic
95 C4
Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe a Cayenne's? Imagine a RMS leak from that!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok guys, I hope everyone else is also.

We're ok too. And also got the power back (it came yesterday about 6 pm.) which is great.

We lost big ficus tree in our front yard (landed about two feet from our XC90 and three feet from the house), backyard shed was blown into several pieces (I've already fixed it though), had some roof tiles blown off and of course just overall mess with broken banana tree limbs, palm stuff etc. but nothing really seroius so we're just fine.

Haven't taken Porsche out yet (bicycle to work) but this coming weekend need to take her for a little "Italian tune-up"!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:05 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in Naples, and all is cool. We have a few areas still without power, and some condo buildings on the beach sustained some substantial damage, nothing that can't be fixed. All 4 Porsches are safe and sound though, I got power back late last night, and damn I miss running water though, when that came on I was more excited that the power.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:15 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

I don't know what I will miss more... lack of water, lack of power or NO INTERNET!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No internet sucked, really bad....
Old 10-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had water (cold) but no power or Internet...the amazing thing is how misinformed people are!!! I had to answer business e-mails until 3:00am as people were complaning that I was not answering them on the phone (which I still don't have as a running emergency truck with the ladder up took my phone line from the pole) or e-mail! People should read the newspaper or at least watch the news on TV! Amazing...

Good to know you guys and your cars are in perfect shape...these things make you value the simple stuff such as a hot running water and being able to cook on the stove's top...

PS. I just fixed my neighbor car's roof, with metal patch, as a roof tile flew and opened a hole the size of a quarter...imagine that in somebody'd head!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm glad to read that you guys are okay. My mother-in-law is still w/o power in Aventura, as with both of my close friends in Coral Gables & Margate. I have heard, though, that you guys are having tremendous weather right now, so at least for those w/o power can enjoy some nice weather. For instance, it's a good thing this hurricane didn't hit in the a few months ago because not having power in the summer time would have been miserable!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi Rich...the weather has been fantastic...clear blue skies and cool temperature...we can't complain...to clean the backyard has been an incredible workout...cold showers are healthy...the nights were beautiful and you can open a bottle of wine and just admire the sky...with an empty gas tank, I had to use real wood in the grill...when life gives you lemon, you really have to find a way to make lemonade...
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck guys, I hope you don't suffer too badly.

Cheers,

David
Old 10-31-2005, 09:05 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Hey Pedro
That's exactly what I doing for 3 nights. When the hurricane was passing right over my house we mesured 145mph+ steady winds with tornadoes inside. I had the two trucks up against the garage door and I was standing behind it hoping it won't brake. It's a wide door for a 2.5 car garage and it was moving back and forth more than 12" in the middle. Scary! Some areas won't have power for 3 weeks. I was down only for 3 days.
Damage in my area was intense. My cars are safe and I'm happy for that but a bunch of friends of mine lost all their airplanes and some very expensive cars that were stored in the hangars.
Take a look at some of the damage photos. Chris
http://doorstop.org/Lauderhill/
http://doorstop.org/KLNA/
Old 10-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Impressive Chris...good to know you are safe and no longer powerless...
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

Anyway, folks in Wilma's path, stay safe even though it's not going to be as bad as it at some point looked.
I had the same thought, but what a surprise Wilma packed for the east coast! It started here with south winds in the morning, not too bad, and then it became calm as the north side of the eye took about an hour to pass over us. We figured we'd seen the worst of it. And then, BAM!!!, winds up to 140mph from the northwest as the back half of Wilma hammered us for the next 3 hours! One hell of a surprise. Apparently the storm intensified as the front half entered the Atlantic and the wind circled back at us from the north. So much for the idea that Wilma would diminish as it crossed Florida. Quite a few folks in Martin and Palm Beach Counties still w/o electricity.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mother has her power back in Dania Beach. Flying down Nov 13 to help out with the damage and maybe a round of golf.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:34 AM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, did we ever underestimate the power of that storm. I live in Boca and from what I hear it is the worst storm to hit the area in 60 years. Yes, Andrew was much more severe but not where I live.

Fortunately no real damage to speak of. The usual trees and fences down, etc. At least I was prepared. We lost power for 6 days but I had my generator and a propane tank for the grill in reserve.

Most of my family lives near Daytona and they hooked me up with more gasoline than I needed.

I'm getting increasingly concerned that these storms are becoming more frequent and more powerful.

Happy to hear everyone faired well.

Mike

Quick Reply: Hurricanes and P-cars...