Sponsored by:

Seat stuck..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:59 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat stuck..

I have done a search but all posts I found refer to problems with seats with servo-assisted front to back movement. My seats only have servo-assisted up/down adjustment.

The passenger seat (UK car) is stuck all the way back. The runner covers the rear bolts so I can't get the whole seat out to take a look. I've tried to look under the seat to see what's (not) going on, but it's not easy. There seems to be a thin rod that maybe locates into holes in the runners on both sides of the seat track, thereby preventing the seat from sliding forwards or backwards. This rod appears to move when you use the seat adjustment lever. My thought is that it isn't moving far enough to disengae from the runner.

Can anyone confirm that this may be the cause, and if it is, what can be done? If it isn't, what else could it be?

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to me too. You should take the bolts out that you can reach and then pray that the seat again comes to life so you can reach the other bolts. My seat got permanently stuck while I was in the middle of trying to remove it to track down the intermittent stickiness. Then hit a wall while on the track and I assume that jolt bent my rails. An intermittent stickiness is common, though I don't know the cause. Usually, you can give it a firm jolt while sitting in it and holding the button down. Again, take the bolts out you can reach before you mess with this anymore.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:25 AM
SJB993
Pro

Thanks Rick. I guess I could remove the driver's seat so that I can see how the locking mechanism works, and may then be able to deduce what the problem is.

But if anyone else already knows how the seat locks/unlocks on the runners, I'd be pleased to hear.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 PM
cbad911
Advanced

I had a similar problem with my 993. Does it only appear to be stuck on one side of the track? If so, it may be the cable is broken/striped that runs from the motor to the turning mechanism on that side. It's a simple fix...
Old 10-20-2005, 12:15 PM
SJB993
Pro

My seats do not have motor driven front to back adjustment (only up/down). I am assuming the problem is somewhere in the mechanical linkage that engages/disengages what ever it is that locks/unlocks the seat frame to the runners.

It's a description of that mechanism and some clues as to what may have gone wrong with it that I'm hoping the power of Rennlist will come up with.

Quick Reply: Seat stuck..