Sponsored by:

Stopped using oil, why ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:32 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stopped using oil, why ????

Some time ago I thought I might need a top end rebuild.....was using about a quart every 1000 miles.....Rick and I did an oil change about 5 weeks ago, when I got home from Ricks (car hot...hot day and 45 minute drive) I did an oil dipstick inspection and topped off the oil drip by drip until I had the oil level right at the top of the last spiral on the dipstick. Since then I have done about 1200 miles.....I thought I would check the oil again last night, car hot as I had been belting around doing stuff in the afternoon and when I got home the car was very hot.....to my amazment the oil level is about one inch from the top of the spiral.....ie I have used VERY little oil in 1200 miles....anybody got any idea what has happened...why using oil then stop....same oil 15/50....only difference....pre oil cahnge was on old Mobil ... not the new fangled extended life.....now on new stuff....acn it really make THAT much diffrenec?????
Old 10-19-2005, 04:08 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles?

My car has 55,000 miles on it and I did noticed the same thing... ie, lower oil comsuption. Another factor may be that the hotter these engine gets the better it seals from expansion of parts.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:49 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two things here that don't make sense to me. First you state that the car was "very hot" when you checked the oil. Oil, like any fluid expands and contracts with changes in temperature, so you really need to check the oil with the engine at the same (roughly) temperature for comparison. The hotter the oil, the more it will expand and you will appear to consume less.

The second thing is that you are 1 inch below the original level. Sounds like about a quart down to me.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

There are two things here that don't make sense to me. First you state that the car was "very hot" when you checked the oil. Oil, like any fluid expands and contracts with changes in temperature, so you really need to check the oil with the engine at the same (roughly) temperature for comparison. The hotter the oil, the more it will expand and you will appear to consume less.
Totally agree with Daniel. Just look at the oil gauge levels when idling with a cold vs. hot engine - BIG differences! I notice any perceptible - even small - change in the temperature gauge as affecting my oil level gauge reading.

You're probably still burning a quart every 1K miles.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which is totally within Factory new tollerances!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb

Maybe all the oil has now drained out, hence no more leaks but maybe a few new engine sounds!

Quick Reply: Stopped using oil, why ????