Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

White or Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Hank
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, this place is great! While Im at it any sugestions from you LA folks on a PPI shop close to Marina Del Rey? I just moved to the area and know 0 about the local shops.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Rich....My cab top is still blue. I did pick up a black boot in anticipation of changing the top to black. I am finding that I have the top up so rarely that the blue top is not that big of a deal. And thanks for your PM during the fires. Being told to evacuate your house at 3:00 AM is a bummer.

Tony....Thanks! And no black top yet. Every time I get some money ahead for a mod the top takes a back seat.

Hank.....When I bought my cab it had mid-night blue interior. I thought I could learn to like it. I didn't. I ended up changing to a black interior and I am much happier. I think if you have to ask....don't. There is the right combo out there for you. And, the more you look, the more you learn. Enjoy and good luck.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:50 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hank, with the wide spectrum of colors you'd accept, I'd concentrate on a good ppi, options, and mods, in that order....Obviously price, goes without saying. As for the car you are considering, if all the above plays out, I'd get it in a heartbeat, white coupes look great on the street....
Old 10-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Hank...I looked for a Riviera Blue car for about 4 months...the only one I found, actually a very nice Rennlister found for me, was in Canada with more than 100k miles...then I did step over this Grand Prix white Cab in my backyard with just 28k miles...well, at least the top and dash are blue! ;- )

You have to ask your heart...
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the white 993 . . . but you should go with your heart here . . . much like a home . . . don't "settle" IMHO.

Scott
Old 10-19-2005, 02:12 AM
BlackCab996
Pro

white is awesome, but that price is pretty high. I am in Los Angeles and looked at 993s for a while before pulling the trigger on a 2000 996 Cab. That many miles on that year can be had for closer to low 30s, even if it is in super clean condition.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:38 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is an excerpt from Wayne Dempsey's book on rebuilding 911s and recommended rebuild shops -

Alex Wong at Precision Tech Motorsports
Precision Tech Motorsports is a Los Angeles local full service Porsche Shop that does excellent work and is reasonably priced. 310-822-4566.

I've never used them before but have spoken to Alex. Seems like a good guy that is knowedgeable. The other option is Callas Rennsport in Torrance who has a pretty decent following on this board. Tony (Callas) will do a good job on a PPI.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:56 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

I had 3 white 930's and now I have the Met Black 993. The white cars stayed clean for months here in Florida and kept indoors. My black one requires lots of attention and shows everything. I spray is down with detailer and wipe it after every ride. I have never washed it yet since I bought it last month.
White, Silver, and Black are my three favorite colors for a 993
Hold off and get what you really like. When the right combination comes along, it will reach inside your pocket and take your wallet, that's how you'll know it's the right car.
Good luck, Chris
Old 10-19-2005, 07:05 AM
GeezC4S
Racer

Hank,

If it's any help, I wasn't too partial to white either before I bought mine.

Now.... 3 years later.... I love it....
Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

White looks good... they all look good... the GR being best of course.

IMO, you are buying a used car (collectible... but nonetheless) go for the best technical condition.

White is easy to live with too.. dirt does not show readily
Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Color is a personal thing, but as a former owner of a white 993, it was one of my top choices. White, like the other non-metalics, is an easy to care for paint, easy to match if you need to touch it up. It doesn't show every little imperfection. Doesn't heat up in the sun. Looks like flowing plastic when its clean. Actually stands out among the other common colors. However, only you can decide if it will please you long term.

While color is important in buying a used car, IMO there are other more important factors, like condition. If you hold out for top condition, a good 993 can be hard to find. If you hold out for condition AND color, your choices are narrowed further. Being able to see and drive a potential buy in person is important too. In your case, you have a car you like that is local. No traveling, no shipping, that's a plus. If it's condition checks out, another plus. If you find the color good but not your original choice, give it some thought. The search is fun but every car sounds great and looks good in pictures. I think if you find a car locally that meets the condition, history, and documentation criteria, it's a lucky find.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:10 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

If white's not high on your list then you should wait. BTDT.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:56 PM
curveraider
Racer

To me a p-car is more of a soul mate then a one night stand or a short term fling (toyota, nissan, etc). I must be honest though some of those are pretty nice to ride... Anyway, It does not matter if she has a fat or skinny butt, holds water or not, what color she is or the miles on the clock. When you take her for a ride, you know if she is the one for you. And for all of you PC folks out there please replace she with "it, him" or any other non-gender term you prefer.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Price at $39K+ seems kind of high. I recently bought my 97 for much less than that, granted it has 20K more miles...but everything has been done as far as maintanance and repairs in the last 10K miles (brakes, clutch, alt etc.)...and its a Cab too. I think that you can do better pricewise...hold out for what you want.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is Wait. At $39.5K, that white car isn't going anywhere soon.

Quick Reply: White or Wait?