Non-airbag steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Biovox
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Non-airbag steering wheel swap

I am about to replace my 4-spoke airbag steering wheel with the non-airbag GT2 wheel. I have read that in order to fool the on-board electronics into believing that the airbag is still present (and thus that the passenger side airbag can still be deployed) a 2.9 Ohm 1/4W resistor should be wired in, substituting the drivers airbag. However, although this will prevent the warning light from coming on what will happen if the airbag IS to be deployed? Won't applying a firing voltage to this line burn out the resistor before the airbag goes off? Wouldn't a more hefty resistor (576W since P=V*V/R) be required to guarantee airbag deployment? Or is this line a sense circuit independent of the firing circuit? Also, just how accurate does the resistor have to be?

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Biovox....I have trouble changing my fuses so I can be of no help regardng your question. But, I would sure like to see a photo of your new steering wheel.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Yes, what's a GT2 wheel?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Biovox
I am about to replace my 4-spoke airbag steering wheel with the non-airbag GT2 wheel. I have read that in order to fool the on-board electronics into believing that the airbag is still present (and thus that the passenger side airbag can still be deployed) a 2.9 Ohm 1/4W resistor should be wired in, substituting the drivers airbag. However, although this will prevent the warning light from coming on what will happen if the airbag IS to be deployed? Won't applying a firing voltage to this line burn out the resistor before the airbag goes off? Wouldn't a more hefty resistor (576W since P=V*V/R) be required to guarantee airbag deployment? Or is this line a sense circuit independent of the firing circuit? Also, just how accurate does the resistor have to be?

Any help greatly appreciated
Yeah. If you run the resistor to the ground so the entire 14V is dissipated by it, it'll go "poof" very quickly. Your wires would melt pretty quick too from about 5 Amps of current.

But you're runnign it in line, so a very small voltage drop actually occurs at the resistor.

God, I used to be a geek (crossed out) an electrical engineer and though about the same thing in the same terms until the answer dawned on me
Old 10-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Biovox
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the explanation Mike, have you done this DIY? BTW it's the P93 Cup wheel, not a GT2, as available from Gert (pic attached). Was this wheel used on the GT2's? Sorry to cruelly raise the expectations of you wheel afficianados only to dash it on the rocks - my bad
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Once install please post a photo. Thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Oh, okay, I thought it might have been the cup wheel aka the Momo Mod .07 wheel
Old 10-15-2005, 08:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Biovox
Thanks for the explanation Mike, have you done this DIY?
Not yet, but I will, probably in the spring.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll tell you what I want to do. I want to get my hands on a 930S wheel from AJUSA and adapt it to fit my 993.
That has got to be, hands down, the best looking steering wheel ever made.

I wonder if you could use a MOMO hub adapter to make it fit the 993 shaft.

????????
Old 10-16-2005, 12:42 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The resistor is placed in series to take the place of the airbag to fool the ACM into thinking that it is still there. The airbag is @ 2.9 Ohms. You cant vary it much. Maybe .1, or .2 tops. The ACM takes a voltage drop reading across the bag (resistor) to determine if anything is wrong with the system. --If it were open, it wouldnt get any voltage back, and turn on your airbag light--which is what youre trying to aviod by adding the resistor. Same thing if it were shorted together. In theory, the other airbags should still work fine if you put the resistor inline, however if your airbag light is on, they will not, hence the resistor install.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Leland:

I am doing the 930S wheel in my TT.

I got the factory 930S wheel for thr euro 964/965. The hub spline and spacing is correct for the 993. I need to make sure the turn signal cancel will work and I got the airbag shunt resistor as well. As fall sets in, this is one of my "little" projects.

Look for a post with photos when I am done.

Regards
Old 10-16-2005, 02:33 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim, that sounds like a great project. I am excited to see some pictures. You do bring up a good point though. I didn't think about the turn signals. I'm interested to see how you get past this problem.

I don't like the AJUSA/RUF airbag wheel. It is about as graceful looking as a Mac Truck hauling cow poop.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:08 AM
Biovox
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rattlsnak, thanks for the info. Will post pic when completed, just need to find me a suitable resistor and that horn connector ...

Quick Reply: Non-airbag steering wheel swap