Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Slight flywheel clatter with dual mass flywheel..bad flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Slight flywheel clatter with dual mass flywheel..bad flywheel?

I've noticed while sitting in idle that there's subtle intermittent flywheel clatter. Is my dual mass flywheel going bad?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Some questions:

Does it disappear when you push in the clutch?

Is there a louder clatter when you shut the engine off with the clutch out? How about shutting the engine off with the clutch engaged?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
lizSter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although this is an old thread and original poster didn't reply to Mike's questions, I suspect that I may have a dieing DMF. Or something else ...

1996 Carrera 2 53k miles
No check engine light events.

This past weekend I starting hearing a clanking non-rhythmic noise under the car at idle in neutral with clutch out. but difficult to say exactly where it's coming from, almost seems forward of transmission. Earlier today, it stopped when I'd depress the clutch. Later in afternoon, it seemed to continue even with clutch in. I'm not hearing a particular louder clank when I stop car, clutch in or out. But probably need to double check that.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The symptom that I have seen is a rattle when the car is shut off. Usually, a rattle while running is like what you hear from a RS clutch (solid without the two piece flywheel) setup, with the transmission in neutral, and the rattle is from the transmission itself. That should not happen with a DMF that is working properly.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
FD Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Another symptom of a failing DMF is a vibration at around 4K RPMs that you can usually feel in the shifter.

MarkD
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by FD Motorsports
Another symptom of a failing DMF is a vibration at around 4K RPMs that you can usually feel in the shifter.
Mark,
4,000 rpm under load or spun up while sitting still?

P.S. working on that scan right now.

Andreas
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
FD Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Mark,
4,000 rpm under load or spun up while sitting still?

P.S. working on that scan right now.

Andreas
sweet, thanks!

You can feel it whilst free-revving but it is easier to detect under a load.
It is the DMF delaminating a bit...

It is one of those things that kinda creeps up on you. You might not realize it until it is replaced or you drive another 993
Old 04-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've frequently got this rattle when idling with the clutch out (engaged). When I depress the clutch the rattle goes away. Never noticed anything while shutting the car off or while under load at 4000 rpm. I've always hoped it is not a problematic DMF, but also hoped it is not an RS clutch (because I'd like to put one of those in one day and make the car better than it is now, not the same as it is now). I'm not sure what is in there since I am not the first owner.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
lizSter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your comments above and from searching thru the various posts, it sounds like a failing DMF is what I might have. I've made an appointment with my local independent wrench this Friday. So in mean time, I'm not driving the car.

What I haven't found via search is what could happen if I continue to drive with a bad DMF. Will it cause other damage before stranding me?

And if it is the DMF, where's a good source for a stock replacement? I don't track the car so a regular one (used anyone?) should be fine. The wrench said that if it is the DMF, he estimates about 12 hrs labor or $1150 if I provide the part.

thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Slight flywheel clatter with dual mass flywheel..bad flywheel?