Sponsored by:

Top end rebuild...how many hours?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:02 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Question Top end rebuild...how many hours?

I am planning my next venture...the top end rebuild my car needs. I am still debating getting it done or a DIY. However I have encountered some differences in opinions on the effort required.

1 - Wayne Dempsey in his rebuild book says a good mechanic will take about 40 hours to totally rebuild a 911 engine. This includeds splitting the case. This is outside machining etc.

2 - Bruce Anderson in his "Performance Handbook" quotes about 40 hrs to RR&R and rebuild an entire 911 engine. This also includeds splitting the case.

3 - A local reputable shop quoted my 40 hours to performe a top end rebuild. This involves everything but splitting case. That would be an extra 8-10 hours.

4 - A local large and high end shop also quoted 40 hours to do my top end, this time allowing to for changing the rings if required. Splitting the case is extra.

So what time is the actual time? It seems that (3) and (4) are charging the same amount of hours to do way less work? The difference is substantial (10 horus). Or is it reasonable because the 993 is the most complex air cooled engine so an engine rebuild will take longer?

I know it varies depending on the wear and damage to an engine but I would like to get a good handle on the time required.

Can anyone who has had their top ends done how many hours were charged?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-11-2005, 10:05 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In some ways it is harder, and in some ways easier to do a 993 engine. I think you will find most places will charge 35-45 hours for a top end rebuild including outside machine work. This also includes getting the engine out and back in your car (an 8-11 hour job generally for this alone).
Old 10-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Bob is right -

The extra time to split the case is trivial on top of the R&R and getting all the crap off the outside of the motor in order to do the top end. Once you have it down to that point splitting the case is literally just a few more bolts....

I think RUF is billing 50 hours or so for my full rebuild so 40 for a top end seems about right.

Ben
Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

DIY and the hours are free.....wait a minute...at the rate I am going, shop rates may be cheaper that a divorce atty..
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I was told by a recommended shop ... top end plus rings....bank on about $8,000 parts and labor....sorry that does not give you hours but total cost

Quick Reply: Top end rebuild...how many hours?