Sponsored by:

Update on Blown Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Update on Blown Tranny

well called my service manager today and asked him to fax me over the paper work, and here is what he sent. The total is way under $ 5k thank gooodness only $ 3700 well after further review I noticed that the flywheel was a regular stock two mass flywheel. I had a LWF .. I called my guy today and said ...."did you tell me this before?"... I said yes i have told u this before. And then he said that would not install an aftermarket flywheel that wasnt factory. So I told him this: " I will be down there on Monday, if I dont like the way it feels, then we will need to talk." He then told me how it calls for 11 hrs to do.... What do i do? ? ?
Attached Images    

Last edited by Vince 97' 993 TT; 10-08-2005 at 08:00 AM. Reason: wasnt finished...
Old 10-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

You know i sit here and i wonder.... man I cannot believe the cost of this thing.... Are you guys all use to this? I mean its all taken care of $$ ... but still I sit here and go man...... 10 grand...... thats to me is still a lot of money.....
Old 10-08-2005, 09:51 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Does he know that the RS flywheel you had in the WAS factory? Yes I think you are being taken. I also do not know what your policy was, but somehow you are paying $2200 for the clutch plus another $3K ($1500 discount and the rest of the $3700 balance) for the transmission and labor. And how on this planet could they get to 36 hours of labor. R&R for a clutch at a dealer is 11-12 hours of labor. Then they did not fix the tranny, they got a new one. Taking the tranny apart to inspect what was wrong did not take 24 hours. 2-3 at most. So yes you and your insurance company are being taken by this place.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:24 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 691 Likes on 491 Posts

As a point of referance....when I swapped trannys with a fellow Rennlister....his race shop charged me $1150 to swap out tranies and replace my clutch and flywheel with parts supplied by Viperbob. So basically they removed and replaced 2 trannies and did my clutch and flywheel, oh and rear main seel for under $1200. I think they had his tranny out and in my car along with the new clutch bits in about 6 hours. Of course they had 31 techs working on it...just kidding.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Vince you must know by now that they're just screwing the insurance company and you're caught in the cross-fire. Hoen is allegedly a reputable dealer, but this event is less that honest.

The San Diego region of the Porsche Club of America is very large and operate a very active discussion board. You should post this story with that estimate on their site and ask for advise. Hoen is a major contributor to PCA-SDR.

http://web2.pcasdr.org/phpBB2/viewfo...d89474aee597d6
Old 10-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vince,
Please don't take this the wrong way.

Did you authorize the work to be done? or did the dealer just go ahead and do the work without your consent?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

sorry if i missed it, but why replace the flywheel if the tranny is what is broken?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:25 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry to tell you this but...they are ripping the insurance company and you off. The 10K they are charging the insurance alone should more than cover everything that was done to the car. That is including a brand new transmission.

At least they were "nice" enough to give you a "complementary" car wash...geez.

On big jobs like this..it always pays to get more than one quote to keep everyone honest.

Last edited by cabrio993; 10-09-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:42 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally quoted by Vince 97' 993TT

... I called my guy today and said ...."did you tell me this before?"... I said yes i have told u this before.

Vince,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the stealer... unfortunately this type of experience is what we're left with from the stealer.

I had a brief experience with Rusnak Porsche of Thousand Oaks and they were doing work on my engine from my off road excursion and I was given the same script "we don't and won't install aftermarket parts"... I said okay fine I went out and purchased an OEM Porsche parts from another dealer (RS LWF and clutch) and I swear to god this was they said to me "did you tell me this before".... and I also said "yes I told you this before." I also reminded them that these were OEM Porsche parts but this time their response was "we don't and won't install any parts (OEM) that you didn't purchase from us".

So I don't know what to tell you but I wish you the best in getting what you want. After all its your $3,700.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 542 Posts

For that much money Brian Copan would have given you a close ratio box with all 6 gears replaced. As stated a HUGE rip off
Old 10-09-2005, 01:05 PM
solsrch
Pro

Hate reading these stories. My closest dealer is Porsche Arlington (formerly Heishmanns) and I've always been thankful that they'll install parts I bring, used or whatever. Probably is driven by the insurance issue but I'm kind of disappointed in Hoehn. I thought better of them when I was fortunately enough to live in SD.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:18 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sorry that this has happened to you.

A question: Don't service writers get paid based on the amount of business they generate?

I would:
Call the insrance company and let them know that you feel that both of you are being taken for a ride.
Contact PCA San Diego and ask for their intervention.
Contact PCNA and start a greivance.
Look up a good product liability lawyer and have a little chat.
Find a good Indy mechanic.

I have nothing against Hohen, unlike another SoCal Stealer with 2 locations in SoCal , but when I was looking for a replacement for the White 993 they had one for sale and when I went in the saleman was a TOTAL TOOL and lost the sale almost instantly.

But unfortunately one could say that about 90% of the Porsche salespeople.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 542 Posts

Have you considered talking to your district rep? It couldn't hurt.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan C

Have you considered talking to your district rep? It couldn't hurt.

For me... I spoke to the GM of the dealer and he was even worst. He told me that he was not in the business of installing other people's (stealer) parts. How do I get in touch with a district rep?

TIA
Old 10-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

So, Joe/solsrch...are you the, um, coach??

Quick Reply: Update on Blown Tranny