Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist...support or free ride...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rennlist...support or free ride...

Rennlist is definitely the best 993 forum over the Internet…it’s probably kind of costly to keep it alive, running and up to date for all of us owners and people in the hunt for their cars. I don’t know John D. personally but I’m pretty sure this is a work of love instead of a business…we all benefit from this fantastic forum, over here we buy and sell cars and parts, exchange valuable info and have access to the rich archives. Although there’s no obligation to get a MEMBERSHIP, and a “registered user” have access to all the information and forums (except for selling cars and parts), I don’t think it’s fair to benefit from this great source of information without paying the inexpensive amount of $17/year.

In my humble opinion, a person finds this forum, gets involved and start benefiting from knowledgeable members through this forum…I’d say about 50 posts as “registered user” is about right as “freebie”, after that one should ask his own conscience whether or not is fair to benefit from some service while taking a “Free ride”…just a matter of ethics and sense of right and wrong…

I have no intention to play Police here but as a Rennlist paying member, I think I’m entitled to these comments as I see people with over 100 posts still with just “registered user” status…
Old 10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

I agree! $17/year is minimal considering the investment we've already made in our 993s. I'm in IT and even though technology is relatively cheap, it still takes money to maintain such a huge online resource.

John D. - THANKS!

Registered Users - JOIN!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:11 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me it just seems hypocritical to benefit greatly from the information/insight on this wonderful site and then resist the membership... what's up with that?

Anyway, I agree with all of the above.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:27 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by epj993
I agree! $17/year is minimal considering the investment we've already made in our 993s. I'm in IT and even though technology is relatively cheap, it still takes money to maintain such a huge online resource.

John D. - THANKS!

Registered Users - JOIN!
I agree too. I would also like to add that I think it's pretty cheesy of a non-member to expect to get "a deal" on (or even free) parts from dues paying members.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:32 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm on this same page, and I like the idea of 50 free ... thanks John D ...
Old 10-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Targa
I agree too. I would also like to add that I think it's pretty cheesy of a non-member to expect to get "a deal" on (or even free) parts from dues paying members.

You mean like this guy?

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/231477-993-back-seats-black.html

Although some folks sign up and never get coded as a member.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:36 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure John D has thought more than once to throw in the towel... labor of love, indeed.

Joining, for me, was a no brainer... there is no greater resource on the net for 993 info.

I think the issue, sometimes, is the way members chide the registered users to join... I know I have been guilty of doing so in the past. Remember to be polite in your approach if you decide to let people know they can join if they wish. If they choose not to, it's their choice.

To John D...
Old 10-07-2005, 02:40 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Let me be a devil's advocate here. Not to step on anyone's toes, but to point out the other side.

First of all, I've been a paying member for a couple of years, ever since I bought a 993. Secondly, I know John D personally and actually benefited from his generosity well beyond the list itself. But...

We represent a community here. Each of us contributes something. I've been a member of a number of other automotive web communities before. None of them were paid. You ask and learn. In a few years you become more of an expert and you now pay by your time and allow others to benefit from your knowledge. Or you contribute otherwise, by organazing drives, group buys, other things.

There are rennlisters who are 1000 times more knowledgeable than me. Do they get paid? No. We are, essentially, paying to help John offset some of what he spends on keeping the community alive. Mind you, he's spending more of his money and time than our $17 contribute, I've seen it and I'm forever grateful to him. But John himself came up with this idea of having paid and non-paid members. Therefore, I don't see a need to shame anyone into spending $17 for membership.

Some of us, mind you, have been on the net well before www, and we are simply used to free things But the way I see it, each person should be able to chose whether to become a member or not themselves.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:03 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
... Some of us, mind you, have been on the net well before www, and we are simply used to free things But the way I see it, each person should be able to chose whether to become a member or not themselves.
I agree that no one should be forced or chided to join. Prior to getting my 993, I was all over the web looking for resources and found Rennlist via 993faq.com. At first I wasn't sure whether RL would be just another flame-fest message board or truly helpful. After a few posts I got some quick, knowledgeable replies & joined.

I think the tone of this thread is just to remind registered users what's behind this jewel. For about the price of 3qts of Mobil1, this place is a tremendous bargin!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think having non-paying viewers and ocassional posters richens the forum. If this forum were limited to only paying members then it would be much smaller and not as interesting (and sometimes frustrating). I am guilty of gently chiding folks to join but would not want the board limited to paying members. I think people should make the decision themselves. Am I getting more than $17/year of value out of this board? I think most would say they have already gotten more than $17/year * 10 of value or more from this board. I know I have. I wouldn't have bought my car without the benefit of the knowledge contained in this site and its archives. That to me makes the $17 a no brainer. Heck, I paid my dues before I even bought my car. The fact that John D. and Jenn sacrafice a lot to make this board work combined with the knowledge I get here would make me embarassed to not pay, but thats just me.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:14 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I participate on many web forums and this one is by far the most heavy handed in pressuring members to pay. I know this issue has been gone over many times, and the Rennlist community clearly has mostly lined up behind the fee concept. So be it.

However, this model is almost unheard of on the web, and it's perfectly reasonable for new members to be a bit surprised when they're berated for not sending money. I guess the demographic here is pretty unique--people who are used to paying fees and who don't realize how unusual (to use a polite term) this site is in that regard.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:15 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...be nice.. some people pay but it takes a long time to get their status changed on their id....
Old 10-07-2005, 03:17 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed:
It's John D's site to run how he sees fit.
$17 dollars is a small fee.
Each person has the choice to join ..or not.
It's not my job to coerce/convince registered users to become members.
50 free posts seems reasonable.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:40 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Targa
Agreed:
It's John D's site to run how he sees fit.
$17 dollars is a small fee.
Each person has the choice to join ..or not.
It's not my job to coerce/convince registered users to become members.
50 free posts seems reasonable.
Agreed too... I still pay my memberships as its the least I could do for the shake of this great community. I have gained so much and saved sooo much $$$ that 17 bucks is absolutely nothing to keep this site running...
I too agree that 50 freebies should be enough...

Thanks John D as always
Old 10-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

When I look at $17 through my Porsche owners' glasses, it looks like free.

Quick Reply: Rennlist...support or free ride...