Sponsored by:

Rennlist...support or free ride...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:43 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcar964
Here's an idea that will increase membership (imho) - *Some members* might want to ease up a little on the snobbery in your posts, and take opinions for what they're worth, and not take them so personally that every discussion becomes an argument over who's a troll and who's not. I know this is the vast minority of users on here, but that's all it takes to make for an unpleasant and useless discussion. That's what made me reluctant to join in the first place - otherwise, this site is damn near perfect!
Hey pcar - nice post and well said. No offence intended towards anyone in the "minority" here, but thanks for voicing a concern that many non-members would probably get flamed for if we posted the same comment on this board.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:08 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
Hey pcar - nice post and well said. No offence intended towards anyone in the "minority" here, but thanks for voicing a concern that many non-members would probably get flamed for if we posted the same comment on this board.
Sure thing, it's the truth and has to be said. I was attacked for being a troll many times simply because I wasn't a paying member, which was ridiculous. I paid the membership because I have used the archives many times to save myself time and money, and also have met some good people through the site. Not to mention I enjoy reading the threads..

Become a member if you feel like you have gotten a lot of value out of the site, which may take some time (it did for me). But don't feel like you have to censor yourself just because you didn't pay, YOUR opinions are every bit as valid as any other member's, regardless of membership.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:06 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

The membership will grow as members see the value in these forums... I posted for a long time before I joined, and here's the reason why: Sharing opinions that someone happened to disagree with was usually met with a strange hyper-sensitivity that made me feel like I was talking to a bunch of post-menstrual women. Most of the guys on this board are great though, and their knowledge and info is useful enough that $17/year is a very fair price to pay. I will be renewing next year for sure.

Here's an idea that will increase membership (imho) - *Some members* might want to ease up a little on the snobbery in your posts, and take opinions for what they're worth, and not take them so personally that every discussion becomes an argument over who's a troll and who's not. I know this is the vast minority of users on here, but that's all it takes to make for an unpleasant and useless discussion. That's what made me reluctant to join in the first place - otherwise, this site is damn near perfect!
Ya see, I knew you would change your mind. :wink:
Old 10-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still recovering from my 3rd degree burns...Hey Sonic, we're cool. Glad to hear you're joining. Who knows, we might become best friends.

Good luck with the cab... looks nice.

Geeze Jeff...now we are getting all warm and fuzzy.

The Cab is great, thanks for asking. Very fast in a straight line...corners well...but is VERY bumpy/rocky over normal traffic bumps.

Im going to take it over to Johnson's Alignment this week and see what Steve can do to upgrade the suspension.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Become a member if you feel like you have gotten a lot of value out of the site, which may take some time (it did for me). But don't feel like you have to censor yourself just because you didn't pay, YOUR opinions are every bit as valid as any other member's, regardless of membership.
Eloquently spoken, sir.

Personally speaking, I would hope that people who read or participate in these forums would find the value here and help support a venue that is not underwritten by anything else,....
Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

"Personally speaking, I would hope that people who read or participate in these forums would find the value here and help support a venue that is not underwritten by anything else,...."
Steve Weiner

Well said, and I would think most would have gotten their moneys worth in short order and should help to keep this community 'up and running'. I am a member of the M5 Board and always see maybe 10 members and 50 guests. Maybe the guests are M5 wannabes or they spent all their $ just to get the M5. I don't get it..... Guilt and shame works.... such a small cost to sign up for soooooooo much.
Just my $0.02..............
Old 10-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just broke my own rule about not joining a club that would have me for a member...and signed up for Rennlist!

Im now a Member baby. Do I get a Members Only Jacket?

i hope not...
Old 10-11-2005, 03:27 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think most people who are Pcar owners will find a lot of value from the site. Even if you're trying not to, you'll stumble across something that will save you at LEAST the $17 that the membership costs. But shaming someone into membership isn't the way to go - it just turns people off.

On the contrary, it's the guys who aren't uptight, the ones who answer questions without an attitude, and the guys who don't try and pressure people into joining, who make people want to join.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

$17/year is a very fair price to pay

That's an understatement. If you've found instructions on this site to do something as simple as your own oil change then that alone has saved you the price of several memberships.
I'm sorry but there isn't a single person on this site (especially the 993 and up boards) who can't afford $17 a year and when I see a person who's now on their third TT and been "lurking" for 4.5 years with over 200 posts I get real disappointed. That's just plain cheap and has far exceeded any "I'm still deciding if I want to join" decision-making period.
If guys like Steve Weiner had one cent for every question they've answered they would be long retired.
Thanks to John, Jen, the sponsors, and all the members for keeping Rennlist going.

c
Old 10-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Membership is a privilege and $17 is a cheap price to pay for it.
I am glad to be a member and I am not too concerned about those who are not.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:30 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I understand your reasoning, yes $17 is a fair price - but when you try to ostracize the non-members, you are HURTING rennlist. Their posts are every bit as interesting/informative as any members, so they are in fact adding to the value of RL even though they haven't paid monetarily. Without non-members, I suspect this would not be as useful a forum.

Like said before, when you single someone out and say "you're leeching off the site, why don't you become a member," you're not helping. That only turns people off, believe me it almost turned me off from joining. If you keep things positive, they will be more inclined to want to be a part of it!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:57 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to extend a welcome hand to Sonic DB. Your willingness to join and start with a fresh slate speaks volumes. I join TrojanMan (BTW, does USC have a football team this year?) in the olive branch move. Nice work TM.

Quick Reply: Rennlist...support or free ride...