Sponsored by:

Rennlist...support or free ride...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Therefore, I don't see a need to shame anyone into spending $17 for membership.

Hi Mike...no intention to shame anybody into applying for a Rennlist membership...I'm only trying to express my personal opinion , as state on my post...

I apologize if it offended anybody...
Old 10-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no compulsion on rennlist...at least the way I see it.

I'm sure if John D sees the financial need, he would voice it, and given the generosity of the folks here, I'm sure many would continue to be members even if he doubled the fee (ok, this was just for discussion sake so don't get any ideas John ).

Besides, how do you enforce it on those that truly lurk? (i.e. don't post?) God knows we've covered enough topics here that 95% of the answers are available through the search feature.

Freeloaders or not, that's between them and John. Just don't be asking for discounts or breaks but other than that, the more the merrier I say...

Edit: Wow, my 888th post! If I was from certain parts of Asia, I would buying a few lotto tickets today
Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As a relatively new member from across the pond, I had no hesitation in supporting this excellent site. Although I doubt I will receive as much of a discount from the sponsors due to the increase in shipping, the value of some of the advice I've picked up has more than covered the 10 quid annual fee.

I feel proud to be a member of such a group and my 993 wears the Rennlist sticker with pride.

As for the other non-fee sites, you only have to look at the quality of the advice and sometimes infantile garbage that gets said on some of these other forums to know that this is the only Porsche site to be seen on.

Long may it continue.

By the way, I'm coming over to do the Disney parks in Florida in April. If there are any Rennlisters nearby I'd love to see their cars and share a beer.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Hi Mike...no intention to shame anybody into applying for a Rennlist membership...I'm only trying to express my personal opinion , as state on my post...

I apologize if it offended anybody...
Peter, not at all. And I'm hoping that you didn't take my post as offencive either. Just another opinion
Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike...I'm cool!!! It's just my "mea culpa"...maybe I sounded too harsh indeed...

Hey sidned...stretch your trip to Miami and we can have a "pint" together! ;- )
Old 10-07-2005, 05:10 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While sometimes a bit of peer pressure and shaming may push a few lurkers to become paying members, imho that really is not the right kind of a motivation. I think you'd get better result by dangling carrots instead (ie similar to current policy of limiting access to OT section and posting for sale items only for Rennlisters). Perhaps if group buy organizers decide to limit participation or if one is selling a popular item there is some preferred priority, etc.

On a related topic I have to admit something else that somewhat irks me... I may get a long PM or email asking advice or for info, to which I respond with detailed info...but I a lot of time I never even get a "thanks for the help" or even an acknowledgement that they got me answer of course often times it turns out that this person is usually a newbie or lurker
Old 10-07-2005, 05:21 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
While sometimes a bit of peer pressure and shaming may push a few lurkers to become paying members, imho that really is not the right kind of a motivation. I think you'd get better result by dangling carrots instead (ie similar to current policy of limiting access to OT section and posting for sale items only for Rennlisters). Perhaps if group buy organizers decide to limit participation or if one is selling a popular item there is some preferred priority, etc.

On a related topic I have to admit something else that somewhat irks me... I may get a long PM or email asking advice or for info, to which I respond with detailed info...but I a lot of time I never even get a "thanks for the help" or even an acknowledgement that they got me answer of course often times it turns out that this person is usually a newbie or lurker
I agree with David. I think what gets overlooked at times when this topic comes up is the fact that the extra effort, and minimal $s, it takes to join compells people (for the most part) to 1) behave properly, 2) show real appreciation for what they get in return, and 3) contribute something positive to this community.

What do they say about few good things in life coming for free? I believe it applies here just like it does anywhere else.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Maybe change "registered user" to "freeloader" after 100 posts as a non-member.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:59 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Enjoy and contribute to the site as you see fit. Others should do the same.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:36 PM
kary993
Drifting

Remember, it is not just the memberships that keep this site going, it is also the sponsorships from participating business!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

If one benefits from this forum (and it's hard not to after so many posts), and not pay just because it's not required, the first reason that comes to my mind is because they're selfish - just my opinion.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
David,

I am in complete agreement with you. Some people are not too busy to ask questions but suddenly forget their manners once they get their answers. A simple thanks will go a long way towards continued help.

WRT to membership, one look at my sig and it becomes obvious how passionately I feel about Rennlist, the people, the knowledge and the people.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:46 AM
solsrch
Pro

There was a thread last year, around this time, on this board that ran down this same line of thought. One poster had been over to John D's and talked about how hard he and Jen work on keeping this running. If I remember correctly John has a couple of other jobs and supplements the cost of running the board, in addition to all the time and effort. Anyway, I agree it is a bargain. I agree everyone should join/pay. I also agree that it is ultimately John's to finance as he sees fit, so I try not to jump on those who don't get with the program. Of course, there is never any excuse for those who are rude - a thank you is pretty easy to type.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:22 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trojanman
To me it just seems hypocritical to benefit greatly from the information/insight on this wonderful site and then resist the membership... what's up with that?

Anyway, I agree with all of the above.
Please keep in mind that some of us non-paying members are on the giving side of the information/insight exchange.......

I'd like to think I've given back via the info I've imparted to other members - not just here, but on the S14.net site (E30 M3 related) also.

Just my opinion.

Joe

1995 Porsche 993
1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5 (240HP) daily driver
Old 10-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Joe should get a free ride based on his avatar.

Quick Reply: Rennlist...support or free ride...