Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 993 has been my daily driver & only car for 3 months now. My thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned my 993 for two months and drive it almost every day to work. Every single time I get behind the wheel I have a smile on my face. For those of you who love your 993 so much that you don't drive it except on weekends, be aware that according to most Porsche experts like Bruce Anderson, not driving your car is BAD for its health! Several mechanics have told me that almost all of the cars in thier shops with collapesed lifters and severly coked injector ports are cars that are rarely driven. So forget the chiped paint and the worn out parts.
Drive your Porsche! Isn't that why you bought in the first place?

Last edited by Porscheologist; 11-10-2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:26 AM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 993 has been a daily driver since I bought it 2 years ago.
I have 75,000 miles on it.
The car has never let me down.
I am also a Sales Engineer and it makes me mad that people think your rich because you drive a 911.
My 993 cost less than the new BMW's, Mercedes and Infinity's that my customer's drive but they still harrass me anyway.
I do all my own maintenance and the 993 is cheaper to maintain than my Wife's Toyota.
However all the maintenance is done by the dealer on the Toyota.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I had this same discussion with Terry Adams at one of the Malibu runs a couple of years. We came to the unanimous conclusion that in general the more miles the less rattles, creaks and drips. So far zero on all accounts @ 125K. I was putting on 100 mi/day for years and it was the best part of ANY day Monday thru Friday.

Rack 'em up..... wear repairs always seem cheaper than sittin' repairs!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:49 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My original intent when I purchased back in May was to use it for weekends and an occasional work commute (round trip of 25 miles or so)... I'm now driving it nearly every day.

My 3- and 5-year old LOVE to be dropped off at school in it too... "daddy, make it go to six!" (my son can see the tach from the backseat).

I love the way it feels to drive my car, not stare at it in the garage.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:29 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fetus
I do all my own maintenance and the 993 is cheaper to maintain than my Wife's Toyota..
Wait until you do a valve job....
Old 11-10-2005, 10:41 AM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Wait until you do a valve job....
I probably jinxed myself by saying that.
So far so good.
However if I didn't do my own maintenance it would probably be twice as expensive as my Wife's Toyota.
I had a leaky upper valve cover gasket and local shops wanted $800.00 to replace all four valve cover gaskets.
I replaced the upper and lower valve cover gaskets on the side that was leaking for around $40.00 and six hours of my time since I only have a floor jack, ramps and jack stands.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:01 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just hit the 84K mark last week. My only regret with this cab (vs. my Boxster) shows up during this time of year, when I have to put the top up more often, due to the frequent lake effect showers. I hate the snap-on tonneau cover that I need to batten down in the process (this would also be one of the determining factors in upgrading to the 996). In the colder weather, I also have to watch out for cracking the back plastic window.

That being said, I'm still driving to work almost every day since April, and at this rate, will keep driving (albeit with the top up more often ) until sometime in Dec. Granted, my car is usually a little more dirty than I like (constantly picking leaves and stuff out of the interior), and yes, I have to live with a few more chips in the paint, but I am soooooo satisfied with keeping my car on the road for any reason. The car just hums along, and I've added only a little more than a quart of oil since April.
Almost every day is a day of top down driving pleasure!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I had to bump this.
This thread... makes you think.
I am far tired of my daily driver, even though I have only had it for a few months now, or 10k miles. '05 VW GTI, actually I have hated all of my new cars (Tacoma, Mazda 3). They haven't lived up to my expectations, I think I am spoiled from the 944/951. I have thought about a 993.

Maybe... I should?
:P
Old 12-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 878 Likes on 442 Posts

Ahh - this ole thread again. I have to say, that I've been driving my "new to me" bimmer

for a few weeks now because salt has been on the roads with no rain in sight. Well, we finally had a good day of rain 2 days ago and I took the 993 out for the day today and it was SUCH a joy. It felt like a real treat that I had just forgotten about due to lack of use. I doubt Porsche will come out with anything that is affordable that would tempt me to sell my C4S. I'd love to add a 356 to my Porsche portfolio one day, but unless I buy a bigger house with a 3 car garage, that will never happen.

Steve R
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 AM
MrClean
Instructor

Great thread.

I have been lurking around, on and off, for awhile.

I currently have an Audi TT 3.2 DSG as my DD, but am counting the days till I have a 911. I am still not sure which MY to get (993, 996, or 997). Also, I can't decide for sure on AWD vs. RWD, but I am leaning toward AWD for the typical Ohio weather. Of course, I plan on test driving much more when I get closer to pulling the trigger.

Thanks all the great feedback and keep it coming. I enjoy reading it.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
I had to bump this.
This thread... makes you think.
I am far tired of my daily driver, even though I have only had it for a few months now, or 10k miles. '05 VW GTI, actually I have hated all of my new cars (Tacoma, Mazda 3). They haven't lived up to my expectations, I think I am spoiled from the 944/951. I have thought about a 993.

Maybe... I should?
:P
I love my 993 but I think the 944 would make a better daily driver.
They are easier to work on and the hatch back is more convenient than the 993 front trunk.
I have never owned a 944 so I am curious if there is someone out there that has both.
If you do your own work on the 993 the oil is a bitch to change.
I do mine every 10k miles and I also change the filters every time.

-Steve
Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 161 Posts

I have owned a 944 turbo. There is no comparison. I drove a 911 everyday for 4 years. If you are going to drive like a sport you will pay like a sport. Oh well. Luxury is having a 911 to drive when you feel like it. If you feel like it every day that's what you do. My 745i is better in traffic and A nice contrast. the C2S is there when I want it. Now if I just hadn't sold the 01 TT.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned several sports cars over the years. My 993 was the first where I also had a daily driver, as I do today with my 930. Aside from not having to drive your good car in situations that are bad that just use the car up with no enjoyment -- like commuting traffic, airport parking, rain or snow -- there are two other major nice things about having an alternative:

1 - your projects can extend beyond the next work day -- you can leave your car apart and take your time.

2 - and this is a biggee. Things about the car that would drive you nuts don't when you don't HAVE to drive it all of the time. Every sports car has idiosyncracies or annoyances -- little things you don't like that they do -- a creak here, a shudder there, the door doesn't close right. With my other cars, these things woulld eventually (about one year) make me fall out of lust with the car and develop a roving eye. Soon a different car would take its place, then the same thing would happen. Now, even though my 930 has some characteristics that would bug me over time, I can enjoy it for fun then get away. It's a great help for our "relationship".
Old 12-28-2005, 03:45 PM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 914-6 was my backup car to the 993.
I realized the 993 did not have the trunk space that I needed occasionally for my job and the 914 wasn't much better.
So, I sold the 914 last weekend and now I'm looking for a used 4 door with a big trunk in the $16k range.
The 914-6 was a blast to drive but I can get all three of my girls in the 911.
The 993 also has AC, powered and electric everything for the street.
The wife is happier I have one less toy in the garage.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:29 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a 944 turbo for 5 years before getting the 993, and the first trip we took was like "where do we put all our stuff!" you really get use to the versitility of a 944 in a hurry, and they are very comfortable cars to drive in traffic commuting, or longer trips. a really good platform that is no longer in Porsche's line-up...

Quick Reply: My 993 has been my daily driver & only car for 3 months now. My thoughts...