Spark Plug Tool Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 06:39 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Spark Plug Tool Fiasco

I began my 30,000 mile service today. I planned to start by replacing the distributor caps and rotors, and the top 3 spark plugs on the left side. The caps and rotors went fine, using Robin's DIY, and yes, the screws holding the caps are pretty tight. I used a small ratchet with a Phillips bit, so I could bear down on the screw and get good torque without slipping.

When I changed the first spark plug, I couldn't get the boot to seat on the new plug. Then I realized that the rubber retainer inside my 20-year-old spark plug socket had pulled out, and was still on the spark plug. When I tried to seat the boot, I had pushed the retainer further down onto the hex of the spark plug. This made for a lot of fun with an inspection mirror and a wire hook, trying to fish it out (no joy), and then forcing the socket over the rubber to finally get the new plug back out.

Then off to get a new spark plug socket. Autozone had a 3/8 drive 5/8 inch socket with a magnetic retainer for $5.99. It has just the perfect tension to hold the spark plug while you insert it, and to pull off the plug after it is tightened without the socket being pulled off the extension. Great tool, great price!

If you have one of the spark plug sockets with the rubber retainer, it could be a problem waiting to bite you--toss it in the trash and get one of these magnetic ones.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:50 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

A little oil on the rubber insert helps as well. I do like the idea of a magnetic version, however. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Bob. I'm still debating on whether or not to do the plugs myself. I've been thinking I should wait for some other engine problem to develop first, and leave it as a "while your in there" project.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't heard of the magnetic retainer before, thanks.

Another useful item is the 3/8 extensions available (Sears?) with a sliding release mechanism - you can't just pull the socket off the end, you *have* to use the release to get it off.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:45 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Bobby. I'll have to check this out next time I'm strolling through the tools.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Having just done my plugs and fishing some out with a magnetic tool because of the non grip rubber in the socket I devised a magnetic one

Got the Extended reach spark plug socket at Harbor Freight and glued a magnet in it, also of use is the little ratched wheel set, essentially its a disc with a ratchet mechanism and the nub to attach to a socket, this worked for all plugs ...number six of course was a bear as the socket is just a bit too long, I am going to get another one and shave a bit off the end for the next plug change
Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snap-on has one and is what I used. I also put a tape around the plug and the spark plug wrench so the plug doesn't slip out during insertion.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a magnetic one that I have used on my 911's for the past 15 years or so...think I sourced it from Baum tools at the time. Works like a charm!

I also have 2-3 variants in length depending on where the plug is.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

I use a common trick.

I have a rubber socket and a non-insert socket.

I use the rubber socket for removal, and put the new plug in a length of rubber hose. Use that to get the plug started. Basically impossible to crossthread, bends around everything, and pops right off the plug.

Then just finish up with the standard socket.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:02 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
If you have one of the spark plug sockets with the rubber retainer, it could be a problem waiting to bite you--toss it in the trash and get one of these magnetic ones.
In 36 years of wrenching, that hasn't happened yet to any of my Snap-On spark plug sockets.

What does happen is the extension comes off the spark plug socket when trying to pull the assembly off the spark plug. I need to get a locking extension.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The best spark plug socket set I've seen. You'll notice the extension is integrated to the socket, it won't come off.

K-D tools at Amazon

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The best spark plug socket set I've seen. You'll notice the extension is integrated to the socket, it won't come off.

K-D tools at Amazon
Bill, I was going to order a set about a year ago, but after doing an engine-in spark plug change, I think I remember needing to feed the spark plug socket in first and then the extension on a few of them due to a lack of space.

Do I have that right and if so, how did your KD set work for you in that case? Or was your spark plug change an engine-out procedure?

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-13-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Bill, I was going to order a set about a year ago, but after doing an engine-in spark plug change, I think I remember needing to feed the spark plug socket in first and then the extension on a few of them due to a lack of space.

Do I have that right and if so, how did your KD set work for you in that case? Or was your spark plug change an engine-out procedure?
I've only done plugs on a 993 3 times and all times were with the engine in place. I used the KD set and they worked fine. The only issue I've had is the cooling fins/sheet metal alignment caused some access issues on a couple of cyls but the KD's made that much less an issue than it would have been.

The KD set also works well on the Cayenne and the M3.

I wouldn't do this job without them (or something very similar).
Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another tip for the distributor cap screws: to break the seemingly frozen screws, turn in the tightening direction first to break the screws loose. Then remove. This way the slot is not messed up on the remove direction.

Gotta get me a K-D spark plug socket...nice tip!

Cheers!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW

K-D tools at Amazon
+993 on this set. A huge help for any plug change.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Tool Fiasco