Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stereo Installed - What a Difference!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:39 PM
ON TIME
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump
Old 11-19-2005, 10:08 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the CR 210, with the factory hi fi option that includes the cd changer in the trunk, and the nokia controls in the door panel. Can I simply plug in a CDR 210 and it will work with the hi fi setup, and control my changer in the trunk? I'd like the convienence of an indash cd player.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:39 PM
donsacto
Racer

David 23:

CDR 210 or CDR 220 is plug and play on your setup. I have a CDR 220 with Hi-Fi & Nokia DSP
Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

P-car: Did you consider the CDR 220 as a replacement option?
Thanks
Jack
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

for a store bought unit the Pioneer actually looks nice and understated.
I hope the previous owner wasn't a surgeon -I'd hate to see his work!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:25 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

my suggestion would be a sub woofer of some kind-you cant get enough oomph you are looking for-i have bosten acustics all round pumping out 45watts per channel-but i am opting for a subwoofer-does anyone know where Porsche would hide theirs in the big stereo?hiding in the boot will make some difference -but not what i would like-help anyone
Old 03-10-2007, 07:27 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hacked off with the Becker in my 993 due to awful hard to adjust accurately volume controls and a non adjustable speed relative volume increase.

I changed the front and rear speakers and installed this Alpine head unit with 6 CD stack in the front compartment. Kept the origional tweeters in front.
Totally different sound in all respects and easy volume control via the rotary ****.
Attached Images     
Old 03-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the LPMM and now have a better source for my music than my Becker.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:29 AM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

have the same alpine-nice unit good choice
Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 PM
The Dead Senator
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump.

Recommendations on a newer head unit and speakers? Not flashy, but modern. It would appear that I have similar tastes as yous guys. I have been dealing with electronic feedback lately and suspect the head unit. That and I would like to play mp3s and have a 6-cd in dash unit. I am just as likely to replace the speakers to make a whole go of the upgrade. Looking for head unit in the $2-300 range (if possible) and speakers not too outlandishly priced.

Is it easy to rip out the old unit (not stock)? Not much room up there for my fingers let alone a screwdriver or wrench.

Edit: Got the old Alpine out, but the wires...what a mess!!!

Thanks!

DS

Last edited by The Dead Senator; 07-31-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer944
Hey guys;

Just curious... While I'm certainly no audiophile, I do like good clear sound in my cars... Funny thing is that in my 1995, I was surprised to find the sound system is pretty darn good! I have the CR1 headunit, but I believe my car has the upgraded Hi Fi sound option as I have more extensive/bigger door speakers, and my back units have a buldge in them.

What would be the difference, do I have bigger amps/more power? Perhaps my ears are just shot! ;-)

Eric
when I upgraded to the -220 from the CR-1, I kept the nokia amp that was part of the hi-fi option. When I asked the installer what he thought of the amp, his reply was, "it's a boat anchor..." New speakers and new amp are coming....
Old 08-02-2007, 06:08 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Becker CDR 220 Upgrade

There is an alternative that doesn't cost the earth if you want to keep things looking Porsche. Fred Opert Racing have a limited stock of brand new CDR220 head units, updated ones that were used for 2002 996. For the 993 they will have Becker North America change the removable face plate for an LCD plate that can be viewed well from all angles. Also they supply the hardwire connection for your I-POD + phone mute lead if you need it. Total cost is less then $600.
I mated this with new branded speakers all round and they fit neatly in the exisiting locations with the exisiting porsche covers. Original Tweeters were fine. Sound is great.
Fitting was supposed to be a simple swap CDR21 for CDR220. However it wasn't quite so straight forward as the metal casing on the CDR 220 is about 2mm wider. This means that the standard metal mounting bracket in the dash is too small. Luckily the Becker Unit slots firmly into the metal 993 dash and the rear mount without the use of an additional mounting bracket. I also had to adjust the rear mounting over about 2mm to get the unit to slide all the way in. Looks and sounds great.
I then mated this with a Belkin power lead (inc audio input) and a bespoke 993 I-Pod mount from Brodit.se.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:42 AM
993ninja
5th Gear

Default Becker alternative

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to this forum, wanted to share my 2 cents.

I too was looking to get the becker grand prix but the price was too high and lacking modern features, I looked for something that will look as much as 'stock' as possible without all the LED that are polluting the head units nowadays.

I chose the Continental TR7412UB-OR you can get it for $110 or so, I've connected to the stock nokia amp via LOC, works great! - that's a mech-less, so no CD, comes with external mic bluetooth streaming and handsfree, aux, usb port.

I'm now in the process of fitting new components speaker instead of the nokia one's while preserving the speaker enclosure that came with the nokia.

here's a picture of the headunit:

TR7412UB-OR (digital media receiver)
Old 06-13-2015, 01:18 AM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks really good 993ninja. Does this unit work as a speakerphone w your smartphone?

How difficult is it to change out? Do you have any pictures of the process--a step by step DIY would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:44 AM
CerberuskY
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993ninja
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to this forum, wanted to share my 2 cents.

I too was looking to get the becker grand prix but the price was too high and lacking modern features, I looked for something that will look as much as 'stock' as possible without all the LED that are polluting the head units nowadays.

I chose the Continental TR7412UB-OR you can get it for $110 or so, I've connected to the stock nokia amp via LOC, works great! - that's a mech-less, so no CD, comes with external mic bluetooth streaming and handsfree, aux, usb port.

I'm now in the process of fitting new components speaker instead of the nokia one's while preserving the speaker enclosure that came with the nokia
Looks good in the car. Where did you purchase it?

Quick Reply: New Stereo Installed - What a Difference!!